Ian101

Rug Doctor as add on ?
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:57:42 am »
Got loads of my window cleaning customers ask if i know anyone who does carpet cleaning so thinking may be a chance to earn a few extra quid for myself but dont want hassle of training or expense of a proper cleaning truckmount so do you think if I hire a rug doctor on an as and when basis this would be a goer ?

If I could line up say 6 jobs in one day at say any house cleaned for £50 less the rug doctor then will be quids in.

May even think about a groupon deal ?

Any advice please  :)

creighton foyle

Re: Rug Doctor as add on ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:00:20 am »
think you better put your tin hat on  ;D ;D ;D

Ian101

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:01:30 am »
 ???

Ian101

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:06:22 am »
to speed job up I would just clean around the big furniture items like sofas and telly stands as have dodgy lower back. - do you "proper" carpet cleaners go thru hassle of shifting furniture or like me just go around it ?

Paul Clapham

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:11:44 am »
Don't do it with a Rug doc , if you want to offer a carpet cleaning  service to your existing window customers team up with an experienced Carpet cleaner , who will have the correct insurance and knows what he is doing and just take a cut out of the job , and 6 jobs a day, forget it !

Not sure where you are based, I am very close to J17 on M6, if you would like to talk about offering a service to your customers and are based East / South Cheshire let me know.

Paul.
This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:46:39 am »
I was thinking about offering window cleaning to my carpet customers,
I would only do bungalows so no need for ladders, and maybe just a quick wipe,
wouldnt bother with the edges or corners or frames.
£1 per job, what do you think ?

CraigHaycock

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:50 am »
People like you give us GENUINE & TRAINED PROFESSIONAL carpet cleaners a BAD NAME, it's no wonder with idiots like you that customer confidence is at an all time low.
leave the PROFESSIONALS to do what we invest 100% of our time &  money in,

p1w1

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 11:54:46 am »
Hi Ian
That's all I do rent doctor and use that, a good tip is to save the dirty water from the window cleaning and then fill the machine with that, it looks like its got loads of dirt out of the carpet then
Hope that helps  ;)

Darren O

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 12:05:06 pm »
`Go for it Ian any idiot can clean a carpet

Ian101

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »
Andrew u been watching my mate Bob Plumb clean windows ? However ur plan won't work as too cheap at a quid

Ian101

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 12:26:49 pm »
Craig u seem upset - no offence but we all have to start somewhere and being honest it can't be that difficult to clean a carpet.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:41 pm »
The replies so far are not being nasty. They are being truthful.
How about if I set up a windying service using a pumpup sprayer with a tescos £2 brush and plain tap water?
Oh and pay the customer for the pleasure.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Ian101

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »
Why would u want to pay customers ? Very strange ?

Ian101

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 01:34:12 pm »
Looks like idea is a winner then from my pockets point of view as no one told me any reason can't do it

Ian101

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
P1W1 do u think I'm a cowboy by giving me that suggestion I intend to do a tidy job for my clients - carpets may be left wet a little but will tell em to leave windows open to dry em

garry22

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 01:38:36 pm »
Assuming this is a genuine thread.... What type (construction) of carpets are you thinking of cleaning?

dan paton

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 01:41:35 pm »
I wish I could be there when you finish your first Belgian wilton or sea grass with your rug doctor  ;D

jim mca

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »
Great idea you can get all your customers to wait until its raining to clean there carpets so you can get your windows done craftex champion would be perfect in the tank gets the job done in no time custys always very happy. 

joe brown

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:42 pm »
Hi Ian, as a cheap add on its viable, as long as the customers arnt expecting miracles , and you charge them a lower end price. As you mention,its hardly the rocket science some would have you believe.

A couple of dryers would probably help.

Ian101

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 02:56:24 pm »
Garry22 the type that go on the floor as opposed to the ones on walls and ceilings

Ian101

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »
Thanks Joe yup that's what I'm thinking of doing

garry22

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »
Garry22 the type that go on the floor as opposed to the ones on walls and ceilings

It was a sensible question.

If you don't know what you are working on, then you could be heading for an expensive claim (which hopefully, you will insured for).

*Hector*

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 03:05:47 pm »
ian...

get a rotary.... Do lm cleaning and you have much less chance of ruining a carpet....

And......

They are almost dry when you finish, and it is quicker than HWE.,.

where are you based?? I could show you how easy it is..
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

dan paton

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 03:14:28 pm »
what hector said would make much more sense than soaking the wrong type of carpet with water

gwrightson

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »

looking at the wording and the way Ian is describing his approach, I firmly believe he is

TAKING THE P**s           

6 jobs a day aswell.  ::)roll 

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 04:39:38 pm »
P1W1 do u think I'm a cowboy by giving me that suggestion I intend to do a tidy job for my clients - carpets may be left wet a little but will tell em to leave windows open to dry em

First tip if your leaving them wet, make sure you turn the vac to the on position of the doc

2nd tip, if your leaving it wet, you will be also leaving the dirt in it

hope this advise helps,

wynne jones

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 05:21:49 pm »
Sadly,

Hector has left the most sensible comment.

Carpet cleaning has been de-skilled and information comes too cheaply. This is why people say their phones are ringing less and they can't get the prices they used to.

Edit:

The other reason of course is poor marketing which is fixable, but the genie is out the bottle when it comes to demystifying carpet cleaning.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

AshWhite

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »
Ian people like you make me sick, coming on here looking for free advice, trying to take away my kids inheritance. If you want to do something, do it properly - training courses (at least 3 of them), insurance, as well as a GOOD level of equipment - not something you can pick up on the checkout of Tesco!
If you want to expand, try pressure washing instead.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

from edge2edge

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 05:33:46 pm »
Ian try cleaning your own property with a rug doctor and see how much effort it is to get even a half desent result then ask yourself these questions    1 what if they have red wine stains what do i do    2  rust stain     3 curry   the list goies on and on and on     ring an insurance company and they will love to insure you with no experience and training          6 jobs a day    have a word mate

Rob_Mac

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 05:48:54 pm »
Ash

Is pressure washing something less skilled than carpet cleaning, I see by the rush of carpet cleaners down to the general cleaning section that you seem to be having a hard time keeping your order books full and everyone is indeed trying to dilute the pressure washing market with add ons to their carpet cleaning business.

There's no mystery to carpet cleaning, in the same way there is no mystery to pressure washing. You don't have a right to the customer market - get a grip of yourself!!!.

Is pressure washing something to be picked up at tesco - I will put my business next to yours every single time and I know where I would rather be - think a little bit before posting tripe - irrespective of what others are posting.

You should laugh at the post and think that all this would do is show you as a professional, which clearly your response is not.

I love it - whatever happens with carpet cleaners looking at pressure washing & window cleaners looking at carpet cleaning neither will affect my business so crack on

Rob ;D

Ian101

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »
Ian people like you make me sick, coming on here looking for free advice, trying to take away my kids inheritance. If you want to do something, do it properly - training courses (at least 3 of them), insurance, as well as a GOOD level of equipment - not something you can pick up on the checkout of Tesco!
If you want to expand, try pressure washing instead.

blimey take a chill pill  :o

Ian101

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:16 pm »

It was a sensible question.

If you don't know what you are working on, then you could be heading for an expensive claim (which hopefully, you will insured for).

sorry garry22 was a little peed off by a window customer just before i replied earlier ....  yup will be careful and keep to standard carpets and nothing too exotic to begin with ... will be sorting insurance out as well

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 06:05:41 pm »
Ian a window is a window there all more or less the same and they don't shrink. Carpet cleaning as you say can't be that hard but you need to know what your cleaning and what chemicals remove what spots a rug doctor is dog poope it's like me cleaning windows with a hose pipe and one of them poope brushes you plug on the end it will do a poope job. If your custys want the service invest in good gear and a bit of training it'll pay for it self in no time.

Good luck.
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

poleman

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 06:09:22 pm »
Hay great post

Got me thinking I could add this to my window cleaning round as well....anyone can clean a carpet

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:28 pm »
Do it and when you f it up you lose your windy custy aswell and have to replace what you f'd up haha
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:23 pm »
Someone got too much SUN cleaning windows  ::)roll :P :D
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

jasonl

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:23 pm »
Just like a window cleaner needs more than 200 quids worth of kit to get a proper efficient job done , so does a carpet cleaner, neither job is skilled or difficult , you do need training and some proper kit to carry out either.

A rug doctor /shammy leather is obselete in both operations.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

john martin

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »

Ian101

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »
Someone got too much SUN cleaning windows  ::)roll :P :D

;)

Ian101

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:04 pm »
who said its a wind up  ;D

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=170591.0;all

it was goodfella ... he made me do it ... made me an offer i couldnt refuse  ;)

apologies now but just a little fun but thanks to the guys that offered help and advice

Craig wins the most angry award though.

however anyone cover CH5 Hawarden  near Chester area as we need our carpets cleaning - seriously we do

bobplum

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 07:25:07 pm »
who said its a wind up  ;D

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=170591.0;all

it was goodfella ... he made me do it ... made me an offer i couldnt refuse  ;)

apologies now but just a little fun but thanks to the guys that offered help and advice

Craig wins the most angry award though.

however anyone cover CH5 Hawarden  near Chester area as we need our carpets cleaning - seriously we do

i have a rug doctor ;D

AshWhite

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 07:27:02 pm »
Ash

Is pressure washing something less skilled than carpet cleaning, I see by the rush of carpet cleaners down to the general cleaning section that you seem to be having a hard time keeping your order books full and everyone is indeed trying to dilute the pressure washing market with add ons to their carpet cleaning business.

There's no mystery to carpet cleaning, in the same way there is no mystery to pressure washing. You don't have a right to the customer market - get a grip of yourself!!!.

Is pressure washing something to be picked up at tesco - I will put my business next to yours every single time and I know where I would rather be - think a little bit before posting tripe - irrespective of what others are posting.

You should laugh at the post and think that all this would do is show you as a professional, which clearly your response is not.

I love it - whatever happens with carpet cleaners looking at pressure washing & window cleaners looking at carpet cleaning neither will affect my business so crack on

Rob ;D

Oooh I got one on the line, and it's a biggun!  :P  ;D ;D
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 07:30:45 pm »
Hi When i was In Canada  before Carpet Cleaning I had to Clean my sister in lawa house who had just killed herself.

Smelt of Cig Smoke so would not sell.

So I went to Safeway hired a Rug Doctor

but had tokheep filling up
 This was Before I went into Carpet Cleaning

Places in Canada tend to be twice the size of Uk houses so we got fed up with this .

So i invented the recycle Water rug doctor saved loads of Down Time.

Relator, thats Estate Agent in English was impressed as it made an unsaleable property saleable again

Rob_Mac

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »
No you didn't buddy

I saw it posted up first thing ;)

Rob ;D

garybristow

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 07:39:36 pm »
ive got to say boys i was in convolsions after the first few replies
i cant believe anyone replied
funny though ;D ;D ;D
gary

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 08:26:17 pm »
Sorry, but why do people even reply to these threads? I have posted twice on the window cleaning section in the past and never got a reply!! Honestly, let them crack on with it and make a failure of their business if they think they can make a go of it with a rug doctor.

And to Rob.

Pressure washing is a piece of p!  ;D And yes, I've done it! Easier than window cleaning! So easy my granny could do it! Carpet and upholstery cleaning on the other hand, TO A PROFESSIONAL STANDARD is not as straight forward! i.e. advanced stain removal, quick drying times etc etc.

What can go wrong while pressure washing? absolute bugger all  ;D what can go wrong with carpets and upholstery? the list is endless mate!

Neil Jones

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:23 pm »
I saw that thread yesterday Ian, then I saw your post on this section, the serious responses made me  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Lets all get on now, i'll be back here in a bit to see a response, i just have to check the hard floor section for some ceramic tile advice then i'm off to the general cleaning section to find out about the best weed killer, btw does anyone know where I can get some advice about water purification?!
Seriously though, does it matter what we all want to do? I'm happy to give advice if it helps in any service I offer, jack of all trades me ;D ;D

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »
Hi When i was In Canada...

Relator, thats Estate Agent in English was impressed as it made an unsaleable property saleable again
Awesome. I love the fact you translated 'Relator' to us English dummies as an estate agent, but surely you meant 'Realtor'. Unless the American word 'Realtor' is translated into Canadian as 'Relator.'

Did you hear the one about the Englishman, American and Canadian....???

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »
I must say that the above thread has been the funniest thing I've seen on CIU. I knew it was a wind up from the window cleaning section. I must say, it was all priceless. At last!!! A bit of humour on what can be a stuffy place with over opinionated know-nothing's, who, if their ability matched their enthusiasm, could be dangerous people.

Thanks Ian. Genius!  ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:50 pm »
I knew it was a wind up because window cleaners only come on here asking about carpet cleaning when it gets a little cold outside.  :D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

GoodFella2006

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 11:50:03 pm »
I must say that the above thread has been the funniest thing I've seen on CIU.

It could have been much better if he didn't spill the beans too early  ;D

p1w1

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:36 pm »
Sorry, but why do people even reply to these threads? I have posted twice on the window cleaning section in the past and never got a reply!! Honestly, let them crack on with it and make a failure of their business if they think they can make a go of it with a rug doctor.

And to Rob.

Pressure washing is a piece of p!  ;D And yes, I've done it! Easier than window cleaning! So easy my granny could do it! Carpet and upholstery cleaning on the other hand, TO A PROFESSIONAL STANDARD is not as straight forward! i.e. advanced stain removal, quick drying times etc etc.

What can go wrong while pressure washing? absolute bugger all  ;D what can go wrong with carpets and upholstery? the list is endless mate!

arn't you a happy chappy

Rob_Mac

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2013, 06:25:33 pm »
Carpet Dawg

I didn't see you at the Olympic park last year with your granny!! Could you have got on there?

Rob ;D