Tony Stewart

Olive Oil and Popeye nowhere to be seen
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »
Please can you help.

I cleaned a dark flecks wool mix carpet in a hallway last week and custy said stain was olive oil bottle that leaked. I blotted up with solvall to a terry towel and rinsed with extraction pro, and then terry towelled off. Custy rang back and said it was better but not out.
Obviously it has wicked back.
I was going to return and buy some citraboost but mix with powerburst, leave for 8 mins and rinse out with fibre and fabric rinse. Is this too aggressive for the wool mix?
 I know I need to get to the bottom of the carpet as all of the olive oil has not been removed, but don't want to over-wet the whole thing or be too aggressive. I was then going to dry it carefully with a hair dryer. The patch is about a foot in diameter now.

I have just bought a second hand victor but the thought of getting it out and it running amok down the hallway with my arms fighting it like Popeye is a thought I would rather be without!!!
I read that WD40 sprayed on to the patch may break it down but I would value your thoughts as it's olive oil rather than motor oil, and did not want to use a non standard method in the WD40 without asking first.

Thanks ever so much.

Tony
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

C A Payne

Re: Olive Oil and Popeye nowhere to be seen
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:10 pm »
i usally use a spot & stain treatment guide in most cases, been looking at me alltec guide on oil related marks, linseed oil, light machine oil, paint oil, hair oil etc, the treatment is more or less the same. to quote, "apply dry cleaning solvent, blot...  apply detergent solution, blot... rinse with water, blot until dry & dry off with dryer." 

markpowell

Re: Olive Oil and Popeye nowhere to be seen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »
I would apply hot mix of Ultrapac renovate 50ml per litre.
Let dwell 10 mins and rinse with hot water / acid rinse.
Sometimes these problems do need a return visit.
Mark