UK General Cleaning Forum > General Cleaning Forum

kitchen floor

(1/5) > >>

Dusty:
I’ve got a restaurant kitchen floor to deep clean for a new customer that could possibly lead to a few dozen others in the same chain so I don’t mind forking out on hiring the very best equipment to get it right.

At present I am told the head chief mops it with D3 and then dry mops it again, which sort of does the job, but becomes slippery very quickly soon after.  Even though it is of the expensive none slip vinyl or linoleum  variety (I am finding out exactly what make/type shortly)  It’s only been put down a year after a staff member had a bad accident on the old tile floor. The new floor that I will be cleaning has a sand paper like finish when new.

I have sold them the idea that I can do a much better job picking up all residues within the grain once every 2/3 months…so I want to give them their moneys worth, as it could be the break I’ve been waiting for.

What would be the best way of doing this job?…would a vapour-steam vac get best results or am I best getting down on my knees with a scrubbing brush and just arriving with some sort of machine just for show, as I am doing it over night from when they all leave.

I’ve no experience of kitchen cleaning so all comments/advice welcome

Musicman:
Hi Dusty, this sounds like 'altro' flooring and the best way of cleaning this type of floor is with a contra-rotating brush machine.

Rotowash are the market leaders, with Duplex, Truvox, Karcher and Nilfisk all producing similar machines. Duplex do a model with an optional steam kit which would provide an added benefit.

As far as chemicals are concerned Ankem have a product called Champion which is excellent on altro, or you could try the micro-splitter 'Dynax' - again a superb product.

With this combination you should be able to do the floor in under an hour so I would suggest that possibly a monthly clean would help both yourself and your client.

Hope this helps

Musicman

Dusty:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaar you mean one of these...

http://www.rotowash.com/

cheers might be back with more questions

Dusty:
Which do you think will give the best clean on a greasy altro kitchen floor...

The Rotowash with Champion or the Duplex with steam or can I use steam with the chemicals you suggested.

I want an end result worth writing home about... If possible

Musicman:
Hi Dusty - yes I do mean one of those. Nice to know you can use a search engine  ;D ;)

Both machines have their own benefits but I would not tackle a greasy kitchen floor with steam alone.

The Rotowash, being the most expensive but probably the most durable is an excellent machine - but cannot get right up to the edge. The Duplex will go right up to the edge.

We clean alot of altro flooring using a Rotowash. I suggest you use a degreaser such as Champion or Dynax, allow dwell time giving the chemical a chance to work on the grease and then start machining the floor - with the dirty water tray removed. This allows you to agitate the surface without drying it. Work the floor north to south, then east to west several times over and then put the tray back in place making further passes to remove the slurry.

You may then want to repeat the process using clean water as a final rinse. The whole process is very similar to carpet cleaning.

If you look on the Used Equipment section on this forum there is a Rotowash R3 for sale at a snip at £350!

Without knowing the size of the kitchen it is difficult to comment but I would guess that the R3 would be sufficient.

This is premium rate stuff and if I was doing this overnight I would be looking to charge around £100 per hour.

Good luck.

Musicman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version