simbag

Re: Which road to take?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2005, 12:57:21 pm »
:)Hi Everyone

The 2nd ad that I responded to was a company in Essex who have sent me an info pack

JWT.

I know the above post was placed a long time ago now, but from the description, this company is still going. It was seeing an advert for this got me into thinking about cleaning for a living. I have spent most of this morning, and will probably be most of this afternoon aswell, reading this forum!
Is sent off for the information, received the info pack, was very impressed, as I thought that the money spent on that round could be reclaimed easily within the year. I phoned up for some more info, which was duly given to me. I was told that I would be under no obligation to purchase anything until I was sure that I wanted to proceed, which meant that I could go out on a round and get a taster for the work with an established cleaner, whom would be able to show me the potential for earning. Although I was impressed buy the info, and help offered, there was one major problem in that the rounds that were on offer were about 30 mins drive away at least. This put me off as I know that there is work, virtually on my doorstep.
The rounds, as previously described, were on a sliding scale of £1600 for £100 p/w of work, therefore a £600 p/w round was priced @ £9600 :o! This round would typically consist of 200-300 houses depending on size obviously. When I actually sat down and thought about it, I realised that if I started up on my own that I could, with a bit of hard graft, build a round that could quite easily surpass that WITHOUT the outlay of 10 grand, therefore ending up better off in the long run!
I haven't started anything yet, but am thinking about still going out with the cleaner to see how it acheived a maybe even learn a few tricks  ;D
Unless there is any window cleaners in the Ely, Cambridgeshire area, that could help me out and receive some free labour in return!!  ;) Also does anyone have a rough figure, for a startup cost, I know it can't be that high, but am currently unemployed  :'( so will be borrowing, or at least using the old plastic to get me started. I know what would be great, if anyone has the time, a list of the essentials to own, and any tips on the best products would be great.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Cheers guys!

Simon

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2005, 04:44:54 pm »
you can get a cheap ladder from b&q £50-00 however they are nowhere near as good as double pointers (that i use)available from www.scrimcity.co.uk where you will also be able to get all your other bits including bucket-applicator -squegee etc. getting it right 1st time will save you money in the long run.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

gaza

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 08:22:30 pm »
Them b&q ladders are shi44y.they nearly cost me my life,they collapsed after only months of using them,they are only for diy jobs around the house.They collapsed on the forth run and bent in half,leaving me to fall 16ft head first into  a yorkshire stone wall,I only survived because I landed on my head,I would never say to anyone buy them from b/q they just aint up to the job,a good price for ladders is around £120,safer and less wind resistant cus them from b/q are so light they blow away.SO BE WARNED I WISH I HAD A WARNING BY SOMEONE WHEN I WAS SETTING UP
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

simbag

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 11:37:04 pm »
Don't worry Gaza, no short cuts for me!
Have decided after much debate to go for a trade triple 3.5m, for £138 with free delivery from http://www.midlandladders.net   :D thought that sounded like a bargain. Just been building my shopping list of all the things to get. I think I'll start a new thread soon showing what I've done so far and what I plan to do on my quest for financial freedom ;D  and if anybody feels like it you can throw in some advice or words of wisdom along the way.

Simon