groundhog

How do I get the pump in my tank?
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:23:30 pm »
I recently purchased a submergable pump and a 1000ltr IBC, filled it up in no time with my new RO. I was feeling rather pleased with myself until I took the lid off of the tank to put in the pump and found that the hole was too small for the pump to fit in!!  :-\ What do I do, buy a smaller pump or cut a hole and attempt to repair it somehow once the pump is inside? Any idea's? Cheers

Ian Lancaster

Re: How do I get the pump in my tank?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:38:52 pm »
Cut a hole ;)

Make it large enough for the pump to drop through!!  Leave a short section still attached so you can lift up the cut area (like a hinge).  Cut a small bit out of the edge of the hole (enough for the delivery hose and the power cable)  drop your pump in, fold the flap back down and seal with duct tape - or silicone sealer if you want a really good seal - better just tape, though as you can open it easier if the pump ever need attention.

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 04:46:39 pm »
Cut a hole ;)

Make it large enough for the pump to drop through!!  Leave a short section still attached so you can lift up the cut area (like a hinge).  Cut a small bit out of the edge of the hole (enough for the delivery hose and the power cable)  drop your pump in, fold the flap back down and seal with duct tape - or silicone sealer if you want a really good seal - better just tape, though as you can open it easier if the pump ever need attention.

Thanks Ian for the great advice!!  :)

Robin Ray

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »
If you make a cover for the hole out of some plastic board you can then seal with silicone and screw it down with self tappers. then if you ever need to take the pump out it comes of nicely. We found after the first 5 years of the pump working it eventually turned itself around and wound itself out of the water.

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:53:48 pm »
If you make a cover for the hole out of some plastic board you can then seal with silicone and screw it down with self tappers. then if you ever need to take the pump out it comes of nicely. We found after the first 5 years of the pump working it eventually turned itself around and wound itself out of the water.

Thanks Robin, self tappers is a good idea!  :)