Re: Harris pole in action!!!
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 10:26:33 pm »
Did you clean trad before going over to wfp?  I just wonder how good those windows could really look upon close inspection after such a quick clean.  On the first video, the second upstairs window (in the middle)  doesn't get a rinse.

I'm just curious.  These have given me a glimmer of hope that WFP is quicker after all!!

I'm just doing the 2nd clean with wfp (after trad) and I'm still taking ages about it coz I don't want to leave a pants finish!

I like the idea of fan jets too.  What are the pro's and cons?  Also are they easy to change over?  I guess they're threaded.. is that right or are they glued?

J

jeff1

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 10:27:53 pm »
I'm not here to comment on Groundhogs techniques, as the title says Harris pole in Action, so I'll keep to the topic.

I started to train my eldest daughter up some 6 weeks back now to do wfp, she suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome (if that's what its called and how its spelt?) but she was having problems with my hybrid Xtel, so after some discussion on the academy about the Harris pole, I decided to go out ang buy one, I ended up buying the 3m and the 5m ones, I covered the 5m one with Red heat shrink to match my company colours, so it looks the part.

My daughter has given this pole top marks for weight, and ease of use, she was occasionally having problems with the clamps sticking, but I put that down to being new, so I treated the threads of the clamps with graffite powder and everything is now going well with the Harris pole.

After all her training, today was the first time I let her go off to different customers on her own, she used it with the backpack on a trolley, at the end of the day we tallied up the amount of Jobs we did and our days takings,  I have to admit I was impressed with her effort and she used the Harris pole all day, so she paid for the pole many times over today, the pole preformed very well and for £14:99 it has to be a fantastic pole for any newcomers into wfp, if it lasts 3/6 months who can complain at that price.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:43 pm »
Did you clean trad before going over to wfp? I just wonder how good those windows could really look upon close inspection after such a quick clean. On the first video, the second upstairs window (in the middle) doesn't get a rinse.

I'm just curious. These have given me a glimmer of hope that WFP is quicker after all!!

I'm just doing the 2nd clean with wfp (after trad) and I'm still taking ages about it coz I don't want to leave a pants finish!

I like the idea of fan jets too. What are the pro's and cons? Also are they easy to change over? I guess they're threaded.. is that right or are they glued?

J

Me too and I am wfp

I will be looking into this and will post my findings

Ian

groundhog

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:18 pm »
Jewel the second window on the first clip is a bathroom window so it is frosted glass, that is why it didn't need to be rinsed!

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 10:32:18 pm »
Harris pole can't be any worse than an Extender. Five weeks mine lasted after impregnating me with fibreglass shards it wore itself out.

Art

« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 10:32:47 pm »
Groundhog, what brush are you using in the clips?

Arthur

Just incase you missed my question  ;D

groundhog

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2008, 10:32:58 pm »
Honestly th windows and frames are absolutely spotless on these windows, I have 150 customers on this estate and have been cleaning them for 4 years now, and have never lost any, except a few that have moved, I charge a good price for my work and they are all very happy!

jeff1

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2008, 10:34:59 pm »
Harris pole can't be any worse than an Extender. Five weeks mine lasted after impregnating me with fibreglass shards it wore itself out.
The 3m one is fiberglass but the 5m is aluminum also the clamps are different on the two sizes.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »

Arthur

Just incase you missed my question ;D
just bumping this question

groundhog

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:56 pm »

Arthur

Art it is a vikan brush with fan jets, I don't know which one though as I have had it for ages, I bought it to convert an unger pole into a wfp pole a couple of years ago, but the unger pole was crap, unlike the harris which is great!!  :)

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2008, 10:37:15 pm »
Honestly th windows and frames are absolutely spotless on these windows, I have 150 customers on this estate and have been cleaning them for 4 years now, and have never lost any, except a few that have moved, I charge a good price for my work and they are all very happy!
Cool, that's really reassuring.

How many cleans before I can whip round that fast?>  Obviously I'm still getting to grips with WFP after many years with trad.

Also, I bottled out of cleaning with WFP the other day and got the ladders out for one job coz it was a one off/first clean, with painted georgian style windows (small panes).  The paint wasn't flaky, but not in great shape, and also putty had cracks in it, I thought this is gonna run like mad after I leave.  What would you have done (any other's opinion appreciated too!)

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2008, 10:37:47 pm »
What is going on here?
Just how do you get decent results?

Most panes received only 2 strokes.
No rinsing off the pane
More time was spent on cleaning a white door than some of the glass units.

If the customer is happy then fine but I'd go ballistic if I caught any of mine going at it like that, it was like a re-run of the ionics tape of how to do a 3 bed detached, plus con sides, plus con roof in 12 minutes.

Art

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2008, 10:38:41 pm »

Arthur

Art it is a vikan brush with fan jets, I don't know which one though as I have had it for ages, I bought it to convert an unger pole into a wfp pole a couple of years ago, but the unger pole was crap, unlike the harris which is great!!  :)

Thanks mate. I actually bought one a week before you posted that origional thread asking Dai how to convert it.
So you saved me posting the same question  :)

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2008, 10:40:14 pm »

How many cleans before I can whip round that fast?> Obviously I'm still getting to grips with WFP after many years with trad.

Also, I bottled out of cleaning with WFP the other day and got the ladders out for one job coz it was a one off/first clean, with painted georgian style windows (small panes). The paint wasn't flaky, but not in great shape, and also putty had cracks in it, I thought this is gonna run like mad after I leave. What would you have done (any other's opinion appreciated too!)
would have tried once, if not come up aint going to work some say three or up to 5 times you get to spot which just are not going to come good.

it would depend on the paint and the putty used, but warning beels wouls sound as sooon as I looked at it.

IAn

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 10:41:21 pm »
What is going on here?
Just how do you get decent results?

Most panes received only 2 strokes.
No rinsing off the pane
More time was spent on cleaning a white door than some of the glass units.

If the customer is happy then fine but I'd go ballistic if I caught any of mine going at it like that, it was like a re-run of the ionics tape of how to do a 3 bed detached, plus con sides, plus con roof in 12 minutes.

And he says He does the insides, a great way to tell how they've dried.

(Unless they're left even worse than outside so that you wouldn't see the runs anyway :o) JUST KIDDING!! 8) 8) )

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 10:44:08 pm »

How many cleans before I can whip round that fast?> Obviously I'm still getting to grips with WFP after many years with trad.

Also, I bottled out of cleaning with WFP the other day and got the ladders out for one job coz it was a one off/first clean, with painted georgian style windows (small panes). The paint wasn't flaky, but not in great shape, and also putty had cracks in it, I thought this is gonna run like mad after I leave. What would you have done (any other's opinion appreciated too!)
would have tried once, if not come up aint going to work some say three or up to 5 times you get to spot which just are not going to come good.

it would depend on the paint and the putty used, but warning beels wouls sound as sooon as I looked at it.

IAn

Yeah but what do I do then, turn down the job because her windows aren't uPVC?  Or clean them, wait for them to dry to see if they're ok, and repeat until good?  Madness.  That's why I got the ladders out, but what do the rest of you do?

davids3511

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 10:47:40 pm »
I don't see why you should have to defend yourself, Groundhog. You know your work and you know your results and this thread wasn't entitled 'have a pop at my technique' after all.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 10:48:51 pm »
I only got one email, and it was from Clive.

Peter

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 10:51:39 pm »

IAn

Yeah but what do I do then, turn down the job because her windows aren't uPVC? Or clean them, wait for them to dry to see if they're ok, and repeat until good? Madness. That's why I got the ladders out, but what do the rest of you do?
just saying the truth m8, I dont big up wfp, it is safer than ladders and for ones that cant see that they most be blind, you have to try forst, you use laddrs test on windows you think will cause a problem"least you know what they are like then"

some say cl;ean 5 times and they can come good, if after 2 cleans they are not right imo they will never be right (and the reason I say this is beacuse I clean them 3 times more than most on a first clean to get them as good a they can get, next clean if they have not come good they just aint going to IMO

That aint madness thats experience doing it day in day out

Ian

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 10:58:29 pm »
Yeah you're right.

It's just madness to those that think the WFP is the be-all-and-end-all to window cleaning! ;)

I just hope I'm not going to find I have to use the ladders quite a lot after all because quite a number of people don't have uPVC frames!

What do you do If you think they aint gonna clean up properly?

Anyway, I hated doing the job trad, but at least I knew they looked ok, and that the customer was happy and will hopefully recommend me, and ask me to clean the windows at her new house.

saying the truth m8, I dont big up wfp, it is safer than ladders and for ones that cant see that they most be blind, you have to try forst, you use laddrs test on windows you think will cause a problem"least you know what they are like then"

some say cl;ean 5 times and they can come good, if after 2 cleans they are not right imo they will never be right (and the reason I say this is beacuse I clean them 3 times more than most on a first clean to get them as good a they can get, next clean if they have not come good they just aint going to IMO

That aint madness thats experience doing it day in day out

Ian