֍Winp®oClean֍

Self Assessment
« on: April 26, 2018, 05:09:40 pm »
I have used an accountant since I started about 15 years ago. I do all the leg work and provide them with everything in order and a statement of the final accounts. So basically they just fill out my tax return on my behalf. They charge me £450 inc' vat which I think is too expensive.

So my question is.... is it difficult to do your own SA as a sole trader? Who works oit the Tax and NI you or HMRC?
Comfortably Numb!

John Mart

Re: Self Assessment
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 05:17:56 pm »
No. It’s really simple if you have the figures worked out. Complications are things like buying a van, interest on loans, allowance for office, but nothing too taxing with an hour’s google time the first year.

HMRC does the sums if you file online. My advice would be to register and start working through the first few screens. You’ll soon feel comfortable

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:20:38 pm »
Cheers John
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:10:12 pm »
I’ve been thinking of switching firms or doing similar I had a bill for nearly 800 for payroll and self assessment etc I’m thinking that’s way too much as well. I pay the employees Tax and Nat ins online myself I’ll be buggered if I’m going to pay all that for filling in my Tax return.

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:20:04 pm »
I’ve been thinking of switching firms or doing similar I had a bill for nearly 800 for payroll and self assessment etc I’m thinking that’s way too much as well. I pay the employees Tax and Nat ins online myself I’ll be buggered if I’m going to pay all that for filling in my Tax return.

800 notes? That’s ONLY 16 £50 houses to you! Surely you can afford that!

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 07:16:02 pm »
If you use simplified expenses and cash basis it a piece of urine.

Money in money out, simple.

Missing Link

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 07:19:00 pm »
I have used an accountant since I started about 15 years ago. I do all the leg work and provide them with everything in order and a statement of the final accounts. So basically they just fill out my tax return on my behalf. They charge me £450 inc' vat which I think is too expensive.

So my question is.... is it difficult to do your own SA as a sole trader? Who works oit the Tax and NI you or HMRC?

If you send me all the information, in the format I require it in, I'll do your SA for £200.00.

Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

NWH

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:11 pm »
I can afford it yeah but he’s a toffee nose when you speak to him when I questioned something he’s done wrong he straight away knocked off 248 quid and said that was an oversite by him sorry,my bill for payroll was ridiculous.

Marc Stock

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:26 pm »
Its a difficult one this.

Accountancy services used by most sole traders are simply bookkeeping services and the accountant simply charges you a fee to fill in information you already have and know, its understandable why many resent paying for this.

However, a good accountancy firm one that holds chartered status, will often be well worth the extra money. They will have ways of helping to make your business much more profitable, and be able to make you plan ahead for unexpected tax issues. Plus they will be at the very forefront of latest tax legislation on employee matters and corporate matters.

For me, the firm i use, they are ex pricewaterhousecoopers and baker tilley accountants.

For me spending money on decent accountancy services is much more important than wasting money on pump controllers, super light poles with go faster stripes, and aqua doobies

Crystal-clear

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:38:43 am »

15 years x £450 £6,750 for just filling in information that you give them and clicking a button for a simple one person accounts for self-employed.looks like that £6,750 was earned in 7 and a half hours over 15 years which equates to
£900 an hour I actually don't think you need to be qualified to submit such information to HMRC in which case it sounds like we could be in the wrong job LOL
Mate do it you're self unless you have more complicated tax affairs such as employees lots of expenses multiple income revenues vat limited company and more importantly you're making a substantial profit every year where as somebody mentioned chartered accountants where you're paying for a service that helps your business grow
And by the way if you have any questions about your tax return feel free to call them at hmrc they're actually easy to talk to you

G Griffin

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 11:27:25 am »
I used Ken Dodd until he passed away so I'm going to give Lester Piggott a call, I think.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

John Mart

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 12:22:52 pm »
Is Lestor Piggott still living?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 01:02:54 pm »

15 years x £450 £6,750 for just filling in information that you give them and clicking a button for a simple one person accounts for self-employed.looks like that £6,750 was earned in 7 and a half hours over 15 years which equates to
£900 an hour I actually don't think you need to be qualified to submit such information to HMRC in which case it sounds like we could be in the wrong job LOL
Mate do it you're self unless you have more complicated tax affairs such as employees lots of expenses multiple income revenues vat limited company and more importantly you're making a substantial profit every year where as somebody mentioned chartered accountants where you're paying for a service that helps your business grow
And by the way if you have any questions about your tax return feel free to call them at hmrc they're actually easy to talk to you

Cheers CC.
They are chartered and have served me well in the past. However, I have been where I want to be business wise for a while now and like you said, 450 for 15 minutes work has no value in it for me anymore. I have looked into SS in last few days and can't actually believe just how easy it is for me!!! ;D All the info I have gathered from the accountant over tge years will serve me well but it's SA for me from now on.👍
Comfortably Numb!

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »
Is Lestor Piggott still living?
He is, yes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐