Jakey boy

Still find trad quicker for some houses...
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:33:21 pm »
I've been timing my work recently for a comparison on wfp and trad,

Now obviously Georgian windows and leaded windows etc are a million times faster doing wfp than trad,

However,

On standard windows, I find trad is faster, especially with this new squeegee I'm trialling from 'polz & bladz'. I find it's faster because you don't have to stand about rinsing, and scrubbing as much, with trad it's literally seconds on each window. Quick mop and then blade off, wipe sills, done.

Of course I know most if you will disagree, but I find that by the time you've dragged the hose around plant pots, extended the pole, scrubbed the frames/windows then rinsing off, it's quicker to trad it! This applies to standard windows, as I i said wfp is miles quicker on little square windows etx...

8weekly

Re: Still find trad quicker for some houses...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:37:15 pm »
Do you levitate to the upstairs ones?

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:37:46 pm »
I've been timing my work recently for a comparison on wfp and trad,

Now obviously Georgian windows and leaded windows etc are a million times faster doing wfp than trad,

However,

On standard windows, I find trad is faster, especially with this new squeegee I'm trialling from 'polz & bladz'. I find it's faster because you don't have to stand about rinsing, and scrubbing as much, with trad it's literally seconds on each window. Quick mop and then blade off, wipe sills, done.

Of course I know most if you will disagree, but I find that by the time you've dragged the hose around plant pots, extended the pole, scrubbed the frames/windows then rinsing off, it's quicker to trad it! This applies to standard windows, as I i said wfp is miles quicker on little square windows etx...

It's only quicker trad if you don't do frames. Even then I would reckon I'm still faster when you take into account ladder set up and moving from window yo window repositioning the ladder.

Mayb your just too thorugh with WFP. :)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:41:46 pm »
I do some car showrooms. I HAD to use WFP this time as I snapped a key in the lock on one of the pointers lol

The time it took me todo half the front was the same time for the whole outside.

However unless it's lower floor. I would rather stick a wasp in my pants then go up ladders full time again. I value my life far more than a clean window.

Jakey boy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:12:43 pm »

Almost, I'm very quick at trad, learnt the trade that way and after years of trad, you get very quick, I tend to be half wfp and half trad. The problem with wfp for me is rinsing, it's very time consuming on hydrophobic glass, seems to take forever for the bits of dirt to fall down. Whereas trad, the squeegee just owns the window in seconds!

Jakey boy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:03 pm »
I do some car showrooms. I HAD to use WFP this time as I snapped a key in the lock on one of the pointers lol

The time it took me todo half the front was the same time for the whole outside.

However unless it's lower floor. I would rather stick a wasp in my pants then go up ladders full time again. I value my life far more than a clean window.

I used to go up 3 floors regularly off ladders, but no way now. But downstairs and upstairs houses are still easy with a ladder imo, I defo no longer go up 3rd floor anymore, always wfp at that height now.

One thing is almost for sure, downstairs windows are much faster trad, especially patio doors, I get annoyed doing downstairs windows with wfp, it's always awkward and slow, in saying that, I'm not one of those people who do wfp tops and trad bottoms. I either use wfp or trad full stop - dependant on type of house...

duncan h

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:19:45 pm »

Almost, I'm very quick at trad, learnt the trade that way and after years of trad, you get very quick, I tend to be half wfp and half trad. The problem with wfp for me is rinsing, it's very time consuming on hydrophobic glass, seems to take forever for the bits of dirt to fall down. Whereas trad, the squeegee just owns the window in seconds!
increase your flow rate. Rinsing takes me about 4 seconds. NOT LONG

Jakey boy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 06:24:44 pm »

I rinse on about 45 From shurflo...

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:01 pm »
i was 100% trad for 17 years and was fast at it but after nearly 5 years wfp its just easier and faster to pole nearly all my work.

i really cant be bothered to get my ladders off to clean upper windows if i can pole them from the ground.same for most ground floors too. ;D
price higher/work harder!

Jakey boy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 06:31:58 pm »
i was 100% trad for 17 years and was fast at it but after nearly 5 years wfp its just easier and faster to pole nearly all my work.

i really cant be bothered to get my ladders off to clean upper windows if i can pole them from the ground.same for most ground floors too. ;D

Yeah but remember your old and fat daz! ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:38:16 pm »

I used to go up 3 floors regularly off ladders, but no way now. But downstairs and upstairs houses are still easy with a ladder imo, I defo no longer go up 3rd floor anymore, always wfp at that height now.

One thing is almost for sure, downstairs windows are much faster trad, especially patio doors, I get annoyed doing downstairs windows with wfp, it's always awkward and slow, in saying that, I'm not one of those people who do wfp tops and trad bottoms. I either use wfp or trad full stop - dependant on type of house...

I think doors and patio doors would be quicker trad and even some other windows. Just lazy I guess :(

duncan h

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:04 pm »

I rinse on about 45 From shurflo...
I rinse on about 98 from shurflo....with fan jets

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 06:54:49 pm »
keeps me fit aswel, up and down a ladder and carrying it etc, workout! probs why all you wfp'ers are fat ;)
when life throws you water, clean windows

Jakey boy

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 06:57:36 pm »
keeps me fit aswel, up and down a ladder and carrying it etc, workout! probs why all you wfp'ers are fat ;)

Lol

Mick Kent

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:36 pm »
I can 2nd that. Im a fat bastood wfper at 17 stone  :o

CleanClear

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 07:09:58 pm »

However,

February 2015 and we find trad is quicker when using a "new" squeegee, because we don't have to detail. Rock and roll !!!!   ;D
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

ChumBucket

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 07:15:32 pm »
I do a small estate of bungalows & I can whip round with a pointer & wagtail flipper much faster than wfp overall when you take into account van movements, reeling in/out etc.

CleanClear

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:59 pm »
I do a small estate of bungalows & I can whip round with a pointer & wagtail flipper much faster than wfp overall when you take into account van movements, reeling in/out etc.

I know you say you dont clean the top frame when you WFP, but do you clean it when you trad ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:55 pm »
i do all frames all the time  if i like the customer haha, anyone i dont like or know I do as little as i can get away with
when life throws you water, clean windows

ChumBucket

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:34:33 pm »

I know you say you dont clean the top frame when you WFP, but do you clean it when you trad ?

No.

Don't get me wrong, if a top frame has masses of cobwebs with leaves stuck in them etc I'll knock them off with a dry brush or butt of pole (turned round of course) but I don't wet the top frame- only in very rare cases.