windiewasher

van battery question.
« on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:56 am »
I've wired my pump and controller to my van battery.what voltage should I worry about.mine goes down to 11.5 within  2 mins of using it.
Is this ok?
Cheers
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Pope vader

Re: van battery question.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:31:20 am »
when using, does it flash battery,  if does   try charging the van battery  to give it a full charge,  and if it carrys on flashing  then check alternator if kicking out enough as battery might be knackered

Ian Sheppard

Re: van battery question.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:02:52 pm »
when using, does it flash battery,  if does   try charging the van battery  to give it a full charge,  and if it carrys on flashing  then check alternator if kicking out enough as battery might be knackered

Some good advice from ORI.

Your control has a battery protection system. The unit will flash BAT if voltage of less than 11.5V is detected the pump will continue to work no problem.
If the control detects 11V or less the control will shut the pump down. so please see the below advice.

1. Are the connections to the controller from the battery as short as possible?

This is because the longer the wire the greater the volt drop. For instance you could measure 12.5V at the battery but only measure 11.5V at the controller when the pump is running. This is because of the losses in the wiring from the battery to the controller.

Remember that:

Below 11.5V the controller flashes 'BAT' warning that the battery is low.
Below 11.0V the controller shuts down to protect the battery. This is because the battery manufacturers recommend that a battery is not run below 11.0V, because you risk permanent damage to your battery if you run your pump below this point.

2. The connections to the controller need to be good. We recommend you keep the connectors supplied already connected to the unit, which have been tested. If you change these you risk making a poor connection. This may mean a greater volt drop and result in the same problem as outlined about when the wires are too long.

It is also worth checking the battery is fully charged

Please let me know how you get on.
Ian
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology