Damien N

Georgian windows
« on: June 18, 2004, 07:02:23 pm »
Hello All

Is it ok to use a pole fed system on old Georgian and new Georgian style windows ?
I have not got a system yet and not sure what to go for !

Cheers  

Damien ???

replacement

Re: Georgian windows
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 07:54:19 pm »
Yeah i use my Wfp on them no problems.
Take alook at Omnipole systems they are great. I have one and its wicked. I also have not just a wfp i have a pole that cleans gutter and fasia i also have attachements for my pole so i can pressure wash 25ft from the ground. So have a look your be over the moon with there system.

http://www.omnipole.com/

Justin

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 01:12:00 pm »
Just a caution - I'm looking seriously to get a WFP - but part of my round is some 18th century georgian houses and old windows in a village - these customers ditched the local pole man because the water got through the ill fitting sash windows - took out paint and putty at the edges and made a right mess.

These windows have quite large panes that are easily "squeegeeable" with a dry mix.

In the same village - new wooden small georgian panes on some houses - non-sash types - I damp cloth and dry scrim and I'm sure a WFP would be light years quicker.

Stick-on plastic Georgian bars - nightmare - water can seep behind - bars drop off - awful!

Swings and roundabouts on Georgian panes.
It's a game of three halves!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 04:05:55 pm »
Georgian windows, particularly old ones have to be treated with a fair bit of respect whether or not you use WFP or trad methods.
Putty will only come away from the frames if it is loose, and whether it is the WFP brush or an applicator it will still fall away. But this only happens with windows in a poor state of repair, the same really with water getting through the windows.
Generally when this does happen it is only on the odd window and even then it is usually just a couple of runs on the inside of the glass. If the water gets through badly then the windows must be well knackered :o
Those windows with the stuck on UPVC strips are a pain >:( Once you have got rid of any old detergent and other muck that has seeped under the strips they come up absolutely fantastic, but if they have been cleaned with washing up liquid as the detergent in the past then it can take an awful long time to get them right.

Generally though, so long as the paintwork hasn't oxidised, WFP is top banana on georgian windows, no matter how old they are. If they are UPVC windows then WFP is way, way superior. The same goes for real leaded panes too, though of course there is a greater risk of leakage through to the inside with the really old ones.

I have finished work for Christmas now, but my last account today was a new account, £25.00, very old georgian windows, tall and narrow, on the side of a road that is so steep you need pitons and rope to walk up it ;D
A 3 storey house with some windows that you could not do with a ladder as you would have to have the bottom of the ladder in the middle of the road, and the road is only just wide enough for 2 cars to pass.
This was the first clean for the house in years. Considering how difficult  simple access was and the fact that they were as grubby as hell, I still only took an hour to clean it. Customer chuffed to bits, next month it will be 30 or 40 minutes ;)

The point I am trying to highlight is that;
1/ done the trad way it would have taken 2 & 1/2 hours (if you were lucky :-\)and even then there would have been windows that couldn't have been reached.
2/ This was an old house and most of the windows were original (the glass too) and they came up really well.
3/ If I were still doing all my work the traditional way I wouldn't have touched this account with a bargepole :o

Many of my domestic accounts are large, old houses.

WFP?.......................

Oh yes ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES