premier window cleaners

Re: British Window Cleaning Academy
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 09:38:31 pm »
no I'm not on Ionics payroll but i am open to offers!!!!!!!

what have i learnt? go on a course & find out!!

jonathan

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005, 09:56:15 pm »

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 10:31:23 pm »

Mick UHPS said:
I was hoping they might chuck me some FOC now  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What's a 'FOC'?  Is it a new swearword?  Sounds dodgy to me.  Should I be moderating this post?

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 10:33:40 pm »

Mick UHPS said:
I was hoping they might chuck me some FOC now  :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What's a 'FOC'?  Is it a new swearword?  Sounds dodgy to me.  Should I be moderating this post?

It is to some people.....FOC = free of charge.

Ray Pickering

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 10:58:37 pm »
Alansavvi.

You seem a bit cocky & arrogant to me & i hope your window cleaning is better than your spelling!!!!!!!!!

Kindest Regards Ray.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2005, 11:11:13 pm »
Alan,

I've tried to find a BWCA website with a 'course content' but couldn't find one.  All courses obviously should have a break-down of what is to be taught and I agree it would be interesting to have a 'butchers'.

I think you can phone them for an information pack which should show the course content.

However, in your original post you insinuated that Express Cleaning was advertising a dodgy course in order for Ionics to sell their products.  You said:

This forum is sponsored by Express Cleaning Supplies who coincidently sell the course of there website.

mmm??? Have to think about this one, is this forum the place to get a unbiased response and helpful answer to the original question, lets wait and see

Now you're changing the goal posts and saying that courses like this are a waste of time and money.

No doubt you're operating a successful business after 1 year.  You sound like a bright guy.  However, the best way to make a decision over ANYTHING (for example; starting a window cleaning business) is to get as much information as possible; then make your decision based on that information.

If a £95 course helps give you that information, then why not?  I've been a regular member of this forum for a couple of years (I think) and I have honestly not heard a negative comment about them.  Apart from yours.  I have seen plenty of negative comments about various window cleaning suppliers though, which used to upset Philip Hanson (the moderator I took over from).  So my point is, if the course was rubbish, I'm sure we'd know about it from members who have attended it.

To Ray, don't pick on my spelling either, Mate.  I've once tried being a spelling and grammer Hitler and that tactic and led to my back posts getting examined and I didn't look to bright in the end! :-[

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 11:13:53 pm »
Oh, I had better add, when I get my WFP up and running, I'll be asking Ian_Giles for a days training.  He's local to me and he'll only cost me a shed-full of beers in return! ;)

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 11:15:17 pm »
It actually might work out cheaper for me to do the BWCA course and I won't have a hang-over at the end of it.

The Bear

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 06:44:11 am »
Sorry mate

If you need a course to do this job you are in the wrong job. Ionic systems have no interest in teaching anything but 'how to buy an ionic system'!

I started my window cleaning business with wfp a year ago and now i have so much business i have just taken on my first employee. I am not bragging but just giving you a friendly warning, there are a lot of people out there who say you need this and that but you can learn alot more from asking others, ie this forum, consulting inland revenue, health and safety exec, etc.

What i would do is phone this company up and really grill them with questions, let them really convince you that you need this course. See how they react, if they have something to sell worth buying your work it out if after giving a good grilling you feel convinced. ;D

Wow, at it a full year, you must know everything by now!

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 08:04:33 am »
Here is a list of the course contents (you can view the relevent dates here http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/oos/trainingcourses/:

<B>Course Contents - SK1 (Window Cleaning Skills Course)</B><BR/>
<UL>
<LI>Introduction
<LI>Equipment selection and maintenance
<LI>Using scrapers
<LI>Mastering the squeegee
<LI>Cutting down the mountain
<LI>Cutting the edge
<LI>Closing
<LI>Using larger sqeegees
<LI>Pole work
<LI>Stain removal
<LI>Cladding cleaning
<LI>Ladder safety
<LI>Working at height
<LI>Basic risk assessment
<LI>Waterfed poles
</UL>
The Certificate of Achievement for these sessions counts as supplementary evidence for units 002, 060 and 061 of the Window Cleaning NVQ.<P/>
<B>Course contents - WFP2 Waterfed Pole Course</B><BR/>
<UL>
<LI>Introduction
<LI>Pure water explained
<LI>Cleaning science of pure water
<LI>Equipment selection and maintenance
<LI>Controlling risk
<LI>Road safety issues
<LI>Control of legionella
<LI>WFP cleaning - theory
<LI>Capillary action explained
<LI>WFP cleaning - practical
<LI>Raising WFP's
<LI>Using the stored energy in the pole
<LI>Spot free results
<LI>Time saving tips of the pro's
<LI>Marketing tips</UL><P/>
<B>Course contents - HS3 Health & Safety for window cleaners</B><BR/>
<UL>
<LI>Introduction
<LI>Safety Statistics
<LI>Ladder safety
<LI>Working at height
<LI>Fall arrest equipment
<LI>Cradle work
<LI>Rope access
<LI>Bosuns chair
<LI>Waterfed poles
<LI>Method statements
<LI>Risk assessments
</UL>The Certificate of Achievement for these sessions counts as supplementary evidence for units 002, 061, 062, 063 and 225 of the Window Cleaning NVQ.<P/>
<B>Course contents - MK4 Marketing a Window cleaning Business</B><BR/><UL>
<LI>Introduction
<LI>Identify your customer
<LI>Identify your USPs
<LI>HS Brand image
<LI>Selling benefits not features
<LI>Promoting a small business
<LI>Promoting a larger business
<LI>Use free advertising
<LI>Door knocking
<LI>Advertising pays
<LI>Promotional material
<LI>Mailshots
<LI>Follow up calls
<LI>Persistence pays
</UL>

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 08:48:25 am »
might as well throw a comment into the mix!  If I had known about a course after 1 year of cleaning, I would have considered going and i would have wanted to know all about it first.  At the time £95 would have seemed well worth it.  But 18 years ago I never heard of help like that.  Now?  To be honest for trad w/c I couldn't be bothered, I think I know enough now, what I don't know I pick up off guys like on this forum.  If I get into wfp, which I may, I think a good 1 day course would be great, again I'd be willing to pay for it, but I know people who have been doing wfp for couple of years who will take me with them, so...the course looks good, if you are a beginner on either trad w/c or wfp and you haven't got anyone really good to teach you, and you can't teach yourself the H & S issues then it looks money well spent.
Pj

alansavvi

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 05:37:24 pm »
Alansavvi.

You seem a bit thingyy & arrogant to me & i hope your window cleaning is better than your spelling!!!!!!!!!

Kindest Regards Ray.

What does "thingyy" mean, not a word I know off or perhaps not spelt correctly!!!!!!!!!! :P

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 05:45:55 pm »
Ah well.  I doubt anything constructive will come from this thread now and all members have had a chance to reply.

As to thingy - this site, like many others has a swear filter.  I think Ray called Alan 'C O C K Y'.  If you try to type the word C O C K N E Y, it will appear as Cockney.

I think it's best if this thread is locked because nothing more productive will come of it.  We've heard differing views, which is what a forum is all about, but now I think it'll become a bit personal if allowed to continue.

If someone wishes to discuss the BWCA again, please start a new thread.

Thread locked!