Dick

British Window Cleaning Academy
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:05:34 pm »
Has anyone attended this, and if so is it worth the cost (95 +vat) and the time (a day). There is a choice of 4 courses - skills, wfp, h&s and marketing.
The course is run by Ionic Systems, so presumably they have a vested interest in it.
Any positive feedback??
Richard

premier window cleaners

Re: British Window Cleaning Academy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 08:31:32 pm »
I had been WFP for 5 yrs before attending BWCA course. Thought i knew everything there was to know before attending course.
HOW WRONG I WAS!

There's no hard sell for ionics gear. In my opinion, when you have best gear, they sell themselves.

Well worth £95.
Going to attend rest when Northern Training Centre up & running, plus BWCA logo looks good on resume.

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:06:27 pm »
I did this course and agree with premier window cleaners comments :)

gaza

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:14:49 pm »
MICK:how did you fix the fitments  that you fit your hose to on the outside of your van, this would be ideal for me , as wouild be able to keep the gear locked up {around were I  do some work they would nick your dust caps}

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 12:29:09 pm »
MICK:how did you fix the fitments  that you fit your hose to on the outside of your van, this would be ideal for me , as wouild be able to keep the gear locked up {around were I  do some work they would nick your dust caps}

gaza

Hi gaza

Drill 4 holes through the floor of the van for the pipes to thread through. 2 wfp supplies, 1 RO fill and 1 RO drain. The pipes are connected to the relevant 'Hoselock' fittings which are fastened to a S/steel bracket bolted to the sill of the van. The bracket is etched with the function of the connection ie 'Water In'.. ..'WasteOut' etc to ensure its coupled up correctly. (Even I can do it)  :o

Its handy when you are filling as well. It takes about 2 hours to fill, so you can go and watch telly knowing your van is locked up and safe.  ;)

I have emailed you a pic which shows a closer view. If you are interested I can send you some more.

Mick

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 01:47:12 pm »
Mick,

Don't be miserley! show us all!

Post the pics of the inside of your van and your setup, including the fill & drain setup that Gaza asked you about, reckon quite a few would be interested to see that! ;)

Regards,

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

alansavvi

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 02:18:59 pm »
Just noticed something  ???

This forum is sponsored by Express Cleaning Supplies who coincidently sell the course of there website.

mmm??? Have to think about this one, is this forum the place to get a unbiased response and helpful answer to the original question, lets wait and see

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 02:32:54 pm »

This forum is sponsored by Express Cleaning Supplies who coincidently sell the course of there website.

mmm??? Have to think about this one, is this forum the place to get a unbiased response and helpful answer to the original question, lets wait and see

Alan,

I don't think there's a conspiracy here.  Although you can book BWCA courses from this site, I suspect BWCA pay some sort of fee to Cleaning Express for using this site to advertise; I suppose.

As far as Premier Windows and Mick goes, as far as I know they have nothing to do with this site (other than being members) or BWCA.

Craig Mawlam runs the courses there and is also a member of this site.

Me; I use ladders, not WFP yet and have no allegiance to BWCA.

Someone else has suggested that the BWCA is a cover for Ionics and if I remember correctly they pointed out that they use a whole range of window cleaning equipment from other companies, such as Unger.

So as I say, I don't think there's a conspiracy with BWCA pushing their gear onto you when you attend one of their courses.

Personally, I've never attended a BWCA course, but I've never seen a member here whose attended one say it was a waste of time or just a way of getting sold Ionics stuff.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 03:21:22 pm »
 ;)what I can say is yes the course is worth it,and I am not on the payroll ;)
I have had nothing but good feed back ;)
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

alansavvi

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 03:26:42 pm »

who r u? and if you went can you give me details of what you learnt?

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 03:31:01 pm »

Terry's in the Guiness Book of Records as the 'World's fastest window cleaner'; honest.

http://www.4to40.com/recordbook/index.asp?category=&counter=253

This is probably a better link:

http://www.fastestwindowcleaner.co.uk/terry.htm

I doubt he learnt that in the BWCA though and he seems to have dodgy hair.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 04:48:32 pm »
Alan, read the following, I think you'll like it, it's an extract from a newspaper article:

I am indebted to a reader of this column for sending me the following advert for … wait for it … the British Window Cleaning Academy where, for a small fee of £95, aspiring chamois-wielders can take a one-day intensive course resulting in the award of a Level 2 NVQ in Window Cleaning. No, really.

"Learn to squeegee like a pro", they urge, promising detailed instruction in "Waterfed Pole Use and Basic Health and Safety".

Now call me elitist, but how thick do you have to be to need an intensive course in window cleaning? "Dip rag in bucket, rub window, do not fall off ladder" seems to be about it.
And anyway, what are window cleaners apart from off-duty burglars? The whole thing is probably just a sinister front for teaching criminals the latest house-breaking techniques. I think Officer Dibble should take a look.

Window cleaners do receive a bad press, have a generally rotten stereo-typical image; so just maybe attempting to raise the standards for our trade isn't a bad thing?

The Bear

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 06:15:55 pm »
Which is why i am so sceptical, let me ask again.....

WHAT IS SO GOOD ABOUT THESE COURSES, WHAT CAN THEY TEACH SOMEONE WHO IS ALREADY DOING OK OUT OF WFP???????????????????????????????????????? ???

By reading comments from people on this and other sites, you are getting the advice.

We are a friendly bunch here, stop being an thingy.

No i havn't been!

The Bear

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 06:19:13 pm »
The Fed are toothless, always have been.

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 06:26:00 pm »

Alan,

I don't think there's a conspiracy here.  Although you can book BWCA courses from this site, I suspect BWCA pay some sort of fee to Cleaning Express for using this site to advertise; I suppose.

As far as Premier Windows and Mick goes, as far as I know they have nothing to do with this site (other than being members) or BWCA.

Craig Mawlam runs the courses there and is also a member of this site.

Me; I use ladders, not WFP yet and have no allegiance to BWCA.

Someone else has suggested that the BWCA is a cover for Ionics and if I remember correctly they pointed out that they use a whole range of window cleaning equipment from other companies, such as Unger.

So as I say, I don't think there's a conspiracy with BWCA pushing their gear onto you when you attend one of their courses.

Personally, I've never attended a BWCA course, but I've never seen a member here whose attended one say it was a waste of time or just a way of getting sold Ionics stuff.

Hi Tosh

I did the traditional method BWCA course with Craig Mawlam, he never really mentioned Ionics products at all. He talked far more about other well known brands such as Unger, Ettore, Pulex etc etc. He runs a very professional course that covers the various tools available for all the applications you are likely to meet, loads of practical trials, safety, your own company image etc etc.

I think the course is good value for money

Do I have any Ionics gear.....no!
Do I work for Ionics or have any connections with them....no!

Mick

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 06:45:56 pm »
Sorry mate

If you need a course to do this job you are in the wrong job. Ionic systems have no interest in teaching anything but 'how to buy an ionic system'!

I started my window cleaning business with wfp a year ago and now i have so much business i have just taken on my first employee. I am not bragging but just giving you a friendly warning, there are a lot of people out there who say you need this and that but you can learn alot more from asking others, ie this forum, consulting inland revenue, health and safety exec, etc.

What i would do is phone this company up and really grill them with questions, let them really convince you that you need this course. See how they react, if they have something to sell worth buying your work it out if after giving a good grilling you feel convinced. ;D

Hi Richard,

I'd suggest you take on board those comments from from the unbiased members who have actually done the course.

Alan, with respect, unless you have done the course how can you possibly comment on how it is run?

Anyone who has attended one of the courses but feels it did not represent excellent value for money is welcome to post their comments here.......................

Regards

Mike

alansavvi

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 06:51:16 pm »
Mike

dont get so defensive, all i want to know is what is relly involved on this course, how will it help me, no one has siad anything definitive yet.

I wasnt commenting on how it is run but rather wether it is any use, surely you can explian this.

gaza

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 08:35:05 pm »

ALAN YOUR NOT USING YOUR SAVVY BIT ARE YOU  ;D{OR ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH. Terrys may be forgot more than Ive learned.                                                                                                                                                                                                  Took a day of to go to Birmingham NEC, and learned enough in 10 secs to speed myself to pay for that day off,petrol, food,etc  watching the two handed method used by Terry

gaza

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 08:54:05 pm »
TOSH jUST READ YOUR NEWSPAPER CLIPPING AGAIN :this is from quite awhile ago if I remember right and from a Bristol paper,I replied then so I will reply again,I posted that we all wrote to the paper ,but on reflection someone from the B ristol area should have invited him the authur for a day with them  preff wfp doing 40+ ft jobs see what the pen pusher says then . guess he wouldnt be going into work the next day so cock a hoop.

gaza

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 09:29:49 pm »
Alan,

If you need a course to do this job you are in the wrong job. Ionic systems have no interest in teaching anything but 'how to buy an ionic system'!

Interesting comment if you have not attended any of the courses. :(

BWCA are keen to share best practice, it is good to hear your business is going well for you, maybe you would like to share best practice with other forum members if you are opposed to investing in a course for your future.

I attend courses to help me develop my skills, and find they make me look at how i work and how i could be better.

No one knows everything, but if you can put one thing into practice to improve your business then it is worth it.

kind regards

Reuben ;)