KarlJones

Re: Buying existing round
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 02:21:04 am »
I have never heard the like.

Just to check I have asked one of my friends to ask at work on Monday ( I know, I mix with the wrong people )

From now on I am going to be cleaning windows at cost and add a charge for the information needed in order to do the job.

I have looked it up as much as I can, as far as I can see if you are a corperation then you can claim for goodwill. however this is not available to individuals or partnerships.

It is an intangible asset, and although their is some new(ish) areas that cover the information economy for corperations it seems to specifically rule out anyone who is not a corperation. 

I personally do not know if a sole trader can claim for a "professional service" but if he can, and he can prove that it was needed, then their is a chance he can claim it back. 
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

dai

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:22 am »
If you were to buy 10000 flyer's, it would be a legitimate expense. But, you are only posting flyer's in the hope that you may get further work from them.
If you purchase a round, your expectations of receiving extra work are more or less guaranteed.
 I can't see the logic in refusing to allow it as a genuine expense.
I can take then that if I retire, and sell my round. Any proceeds from the sale are none taxable. Dai

WavieDavie

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 11:52:54 am »
macmac,

"Cost of goods sold" is an expression, we all sell a service. I'm happy to be wrong with my terminology.

But how did your accountant treat that £3K if not as an expense? Where did it appear in your accounts, or did you just have to bite it as drawings?
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

DASERVICES

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 12:11:17 pm »
macmac / matt,

I do not know if your accountant is correct as I have never bought a round but I would liken it to buying a franchise or another business so bit confused.

What I have found always helpful the the business advisor in your local tax office, find out his mail address or put it in writing and ask the question. If you get a reply on paper then you have it as proof and the tax man cannot go back on his word.

The tax office business advisor I have found very helpful, so amy be worth a try you may never know you could get the money back.

Doug

macmac

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 04:47:57 pm »
wavie
the 3k might have appeard somwhere in my accounts (can't remember its 3 years ago), but the gist of it is as far as i can fathom is that because of the said situation ( goodwill & all that) it wasn't tax deductable i.e. it couldn't go down as an expense ( i think). to be honest i'm even confusing myself now ???
i'll try to clear it up next time i speak to him.
more importantly- lets hope the wind clears up this week, it's terrible down here in berwickshire. ;) ;)

matt

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 07:03:25 pm »
my money i paid didnt even get put on my accounts, as he said it was a "payment of goodwill" she explained it as i was just giving the people a gift for the work

if she was wrong, then i was a bit out of pocket, i didnt really care at the time, as it was my first year, and i had paid "self employed tax (used to be SC60 years ago, dont know what its called now, they tax 25 % of your money off you ) for NINE months of the year, thus they owed me tax anyway, so water under the bridge

are well, you live and learn i guess

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 07:21:36 pm »
I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where you should buy a squeegee for £3,000 and have a free window cleaning round thrown in.

matt

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 09:19:47 pm »
I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where you should buy a squeegee for £3,000 and have a free window cleaning round thrown in.

now thats a idea

the whole business for the 3K, inc tools etc etc

WavieDavie

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 07:29:48 pm »
I'll try to clear it up next time i speak to him.
Yes please - it was many years ago that I paid for a small round and can't really recall how it was treated, but I know I'd be jumping up and down if it didn't go through as an expense.

more importantly- lets hope the wind clears up this week, it's terrible down here in berwickshire.
I think it's all over the country! On Friday, all we did was commercial stuff and finished. We've got a block of flats  - ground, first and second - from two weeks ago which we just can't get done because of this soddin wind.

£3K for a squeegee (equipment to run a window cleaning business, M'Lud) + some goodwill (free customers thrown in) Who'll be first to try that !?
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

macmac

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 11:54:20 pm »
it gets done in the housing market ( i was told) to avoid stamp duty.buy the house for just under the threshold then make the rest up in fixtures & fittings. :o

KarlJones

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 12:03:09 am »

whoooa, I wouldn't do that if I were you.  It is all about fair value and anything else is a sham.  Just to add to this debate.  Although you can not get tax rebate on goodwill if your a sole trader, you can sell it to yourself and claim tax on it.  This is what happens if you go to a Ltd company, you basically sell everything to the Ltd company including goodwill which is, in this case, tax deductable.  However it has to be fair value.   You can not just hike up the price.

I have not seen the declaratiuon form for sole traders, is their a section for proffesional fee's?
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 07:19:08 am »

whoooa, I wouldn't do that if I were you.  It is all about fair value and anything else is a sham.  Just to add to this debate.  Although you can not get tax rebate on goodwill if your a sole trader, you can sell it to yourself and claim tax on it.  This is what happens if you go to a Ltd company, you basically sell everything to the Ltd company including goodwill which is, in this case, tax deductable.  However it has to be fair value.   You can not just hike up the price.

I have not seen the declaratiuon form for sole traders, is their a section for proffesional fee's?

When I posted about the £3,000 squeegee + free round, my tongue was planted very firmly in my cheek   :)  .
As for the bit about ltd companies being able to offset goodwill as a tax deductible expense, would it make a difference anyway?  The less liability the ltd company has due to paying for the business, tools, goodwill etc,, the more the sole trader has to pay in tax on it (both items being your pocket anyway.
I suppose if you timed it right it may be possible but surely that would be illegal because it is too simple.  e.g.  Sole trader sells tools, business etc to his own ltd company for £4,500 in the first week of his sole trader accounting year.  Sole trader continues as a sole trader for the other 51 weeks but only makes an additional profit of about £500 pounds for that accounting year.  Tax liability £0 because he hasn't quite earned the personal allowance of about £5,000.  However, the ltd company that starts off on the day that the sale goes through can offset the £4,500 as a business expense.  It sounds good but is too obvious so I'm sure there must be a law against it somewhere.  Maybe you're not allowed to operate as ltd company and sole trader at the same time but there is no law against having more than one business.

Templar

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 11:56:46 pm »
Have to go with wavie Davie.
The law states that business' our size(small) should keep adequatebooksandrecords.Theseeuld be clear and easy to follow.

I would enter into my books at the time any round bought as a capital expense, and then at the end of the year include this in my profit and loss account.(It wouldn't be tax deductable because I would have already knocked it off my net profit).

However, if I just produced a bit of note paper with something like, £3.000 cost of business bought in, with no verification I would expect the revenue to ask questions. Especiallyi IfIDdIit every year. Also if an accountant is found to be lying on your behalf they can go to jail, so they tend not to stick their necks out.