Davew

Why?
« on: December 16, 2006, 05:12:14 pm »
I know the answer that the manufacturers will give but why do the big named companies turn out their ro wfp systems at such high prices? Eg a 650ltr van mounted system can cost anything up to £11000 but a quick trawl through ebay can find systems costing a fith of that. To me they look similar but do they perform the same or are you really getting what you pay for? Are there really any bargain systems out there that  work well?

Alex Gardiner

Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:05:33 pm »
All 'budget' system can run well provided they use top quality components and are set up well.

Most 'high end' systems only use standard type filters/pumps/membranes, the main difference usually is in the packaging (frame/tank).

The main advantage of ready built systems is that they offer a low hassle way of entering the WFP arena.

Really it is the difference between painting the house yourself or getting a decorator in to do it (I know which is easier! but it is not the cheapest!)

Usually you will get exactly what you pay for, there are not many (some Ebay 'wide' guys excepted) people out there trying to 'rip' you off. Building a high end system takes a lot of time and research.

Alex

D woods

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:21:35 pm »
Hi Dave
It is like comparing a Bentley with a Ford, they will both do the same job but
some people like to pay more for the enhanced image of the Bentley.

If that is the right way to go with window cleaning systems is down to personal choice. I will say though that most (but not all) of the window cleaning contractors
that I know that are making large incomes out of window cleaning are
using branded systems (Ionics, Brodex, Omnipole)

dai

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 07:58:38 pm »
The movement in a Rolex oyster costs £65 to make. Enough said. Dai

Davew

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 08:07:33 pm »
O.k. so there is a difference? but what is it? are the components different, the filters the membranes and pump. Some systems have a splendid stainless steel cage I can see that is going to cost some and obviously the brochures and company overheads will add to it but do they still do the same job? We are not talking a few hundred pounds difference but thousands. Sorry if I stir up anything here- just need to know thats all.

macmac

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 12:59:37 am »
pure water is pure water no matter how it's made, if you have the time to research and absorb what's involved- then make your own (it's no rocket science). i made my own van system, got everything i needed from a few suppliers and rigged it up in my van,BUT it did take me about 5 months to get the knowhow to do this.it's worked perfectly for 3 years now. on the other hand, if i had plenty of money i'd probably just get the decorator in as alex stated. ;)

depends on budget i suppose, if you earn 3.5k per month get the decorators in, if however you only earn 1k per month then do a diy job ;D

JM123

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:09:04 am »
I can't speak for other system builders but I can speak for our products - top spec equipment at rock bottom prices,all with a 1 year warranty.  Nuff said??
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 08:55:13 am »
I can tell you one thing, you build your own PC, or buy a ready made system. In the end, building your own PC, is SO much more fun, and so much more rewarding. Yes everyone can buy a super high end PC. But is it unique? No. Is it yours? Not really.

I think the same thing applies to wfp systems. I would find it so much more fun. Painting is not fun, wfp is. ;D

s woodliff

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 09:09:56 am »
what are your products jm123

Count Phil

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 11:21:07 am »
You'll find when you do domestics, you end up using the same brushes or trying the same no matter what system you have. As long as the water is pure and you know what your doing its the same. I prefered to keep the money in the pocket. Think about it all you need is _ Filter, tank, pump, battery, hose, pole, brush. Would you pay thousands for that? Remember, your customers don't know the difference and when your doing windows only the pole and brush really matter. 2000 will buy you a bling DIY. 1000 will buy you a really decent domenstic one. Buy a ready made one and like you said thousands.

I have the ionics brochure, the difference between a five hundred litre tank and an 800 litre tank is like a grand. Thing is you may only get a slightly bigger filter and tank. RIP OFF. And most people think there brushes are crap. (of course, some like them, but taht's it, you'll end up trying loads of different brushes) DIY DIY DIY

MNWC

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 01:19:14 pm »
I agree,
Made my own trolley system to fit in the car. Whole thing cost just over £600. Does the same job as a tucker system.

It all depends on how you are at diy.

Marcus

Davew

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 03:21:53 pm »
So who keeps the big names in business? The gullable the sensible or the rich?

H h20

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 03:30:28 pm »
what are your products jm123

Jonathan sells everyting he is a very nice guy and provides you with very good info before you buy,you can`t go wrong,Gaz  ;)

JM123

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 06:34:24 pm »
cheers for that Gaz :)

I started building systems over 2 years ago, since then the brother and father have started to have a little more input.  We've built a lot of different types of systems, for example I have a box van booked in for January, wheelie bin cleaning equipment needing fitting along with a full wfp system in the same van.  Full partition going up between tanks and all other equipment.  I have designed restraint cages for 400ltr, 650ltr and 900ltr tanks.

Basically we can build anything you want as EVERY system is custom built, so if you want a triple pump 900ltr trailer system on twin axle with brakes, fully enclosed with a 4040 RO and DI all built inside along with reels and all poles etc stored inside the trailer - no problem (supplied 4 of these so far)

Hopefully will have the website up and running within a month or so (its taking a lot longer than originally thought).

Ballymena N.I

matt

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 08:47:41 pm »
Just build your own and save even more money, afterall why line the pockets of some1 on ebay OR a big company

you can buy the SAME  ( EXACTLY THE SAME ) elements :

PUMP
RO / DI system (to make your pure water)
POLES
BRUSH
HOSE

off the self at various online sites

<------------- e.mail me for a link ;) and see how its done

P®oPole™

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 08:53:13 pm »

Lol  ;D ;D

How many more times ::) Image talks!!!

I know id rather be driving the Bentley ;)

ProPole

s woodliff

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 10:39:51 pm »
thanks for the info jm123 will be geting 2 systems in january so hope ur web site is up an running by then cos i would like to get a price of you i have got ur email address if ur site is not up by then    simon.

JM123

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 10:59:31 pm »
s woodliff I see from your profile that you're in Ayrshire, we can personally supply systems to Holyhead, Heysham, Troon, Cairnryan and Stranraer if this helps (trailer systems), van systems obviously require that we have the van for usually 3 days prior to collection.

Hope this helps.

Ballymena N.I

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 12:34:44 am »
So who keeps the big names in business? The gullable the sensible or the rich?

In my case it the crappy DIYer who can't be bothered to figure it out.   ;D

neil100

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 07:15:25 pm »
Just over a year ago I bought my 800ltr van system from facelift. The system looks fantastic and the van drives superb. It was money well spent.I had researched what I wanted including the type of van I needed for a Two man set up.

Last year their is no way I would of attempted to go the Diy route due to a lack of confidence. You do get what you pay for. Though Ionics and Brodex are overpriced.

I have just this weekend completed all the plumbing in my sons van. He is now up and running with wfp.

His entire system as cost under £1,000.00. Which includes a fully fitted stainless steel frame plus fitting in the van. Some posts knock DIY jobs and think they look dead amatuer. Well my fellow window cleaning brethren that illussion is about to be shattered when I post pics of His van.

Its one of the best designed frames I have seen. Its a 400ltr Lay flat tank. The hose reel is bolted on top of the frame on a folded stainless steel sheet to give it the strength to handle a heavy weight. The enginers say you could stand on the sheet metal and it would not give way. The bolt studs were welded on and the enginers made  special brackets to hold the hose reel in place. It as two brackets and two bolts holding the reel in place. When reeling in and out you dont even have to bend your back to do it.

At the buisness end of the frame it as welded stainless steel sheet were the pump, strainer, ON/OFF switch and DI cobra clamp have been attached all on to studs that have been welded to the stainless steel plate.The battery sits in a stainless steel box.

It cost me less for the frame and the enginers fitting it then what Bodex charge just for fitting. How can that be? This firm specializes in stainless steel so they buy in BULK so the frame costs peanuts other then labour charges. Yes it top quality stainless steel. They have used a lot of box section s/steel but unlike Bodex who used to put a plastic end plug into an open section this is all fully sealed with top quality welding.

The only reason I have not took pics yet is because I am a perfectionist and there are a couple of little things I want to change before photos are displayed.

My sons reaction was. Dad I have a better looking van system then you now, which tells you you dont have to spend a fortune to make it look right.

The enginering company threw the first frame away because it was a touch too big. The frame fits it like a glove but theres room for the tank to expand at the sides.

If you want the frame making for this type of tank the company would welcome any orders.

I am just going over the top on trying to make the point that you dont need to spend mega money for a good looking system. If you want to feed the Coparate Ionics Brand then thats your choice.

Nel