macleod

Re: canvassing bloody hard
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 05:01:57 pm »
g,

when i went door knockin' in my local area i had people say no thanks, these same people then said to my missus that they needed a window cleaner!

when my missus said it was her old man that knocked on their door a few days previous they said the reason they said no was:

1 - they were busy when i knocked (kids screaming/getting dinner ready etc)
2 - wanted to ask their 'other' half first
3 - didnt think they could afford it - so said no

what i am saying is i am sure that a lot of people that you have called on, do actually want a w/c, so you need to go back and ask again!

give then options too, fronts only, conservatory only, etc etc

takes time - but at least youre trying!

mac

steve m

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 05:46:55 pm »
firstly  show houses. Always cleaned by the company that has the contract to clean the show house and they will also do the builders cleans. the company I do builders cleans for leave a small bunch of flowers on the kitchen work top wishing the new occupents of the house well with a message saying if they need somestic or window cleaners ring the number below

Helen

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 06:02:41 pm »
this time of year will be slow, holidays, kids home from school etc etc. keep on going though, make a note of where you have leafleted and canvassed, go back and have another go in 6 weeks time. Have never door knocked for business. If you leave leaflets/cards etc and people call you, it is more likely that they really want your service and are not just being polite on the doorstep! Once you get one in an area, and they are happy,just ask them politely would they mind recommending you and possibly would they mind giving referral names of neighbours etc.  You can offer them an incentive for this, but as someone one has already mentioned, this sort of business gaining does not sseem to go down well in this industry. As for any hard sales....forget it, domestic customers want approachable wc's not ones, who appear to want to take all their money!! Happy hunting, if you work hatd at it, it will come right - honest ;D

paul mather

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 06:29:08 pm »
Window cleaning to quote Greavsie is "A funny old game". At the moment Gazza you probably wonder where you work is gonna come from, but gradually it will come in. It probably won't come in at the speed you would like it though, & the harder you try the less success you will appear to have.

Somebody advised you to go for big houses as you can charge a lot more. That's not strictly true. I have often said I would much rather have 4 or 5 smaller houses than one big one, I reckon you would probably earn more. Don't forget quite often these people with big house are tight, how do you think they got so well off. Instead of going after the big houses & getting disappointed try smaller properties, quite often these are the ones that are missed by WCers.

Eventually you will get to the point where you dread it every time a car stops & someone says "Can you add me to your list" It will come but it will probably take 18 months to 2 years before you have enough work, so stick at it.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »
I find canvassing any longer than two hours it becomes a chore.

It's like I have a certain amount of self-confidence and enthusiasm, but after two-hours, it dies a death; and I stop doing it.

But it definately works.

Keep with the door knocking; leaflet those who're not in; (return to them if you're really keen, in the evening); and listen to those people who say they had a window cleaner for a number of years, but he's stopped comming.

There's a good chance he's not only dropped them, but also other customers in the immediate area.

I did this recently in an affluent area close to me and picked up a £30 house, a £35 house and a small shop at £12 per fortnight.  (I was asked to quote another two times, but it seems the previous window cleaner was really cheap, for example a barn conversion he cleaned for £6 when I quoted £15; so I was politely declined).

Anyway, I thought it was well worth the hour door knocking and leafletting.

From now on, I'll only do this in areas where I'm already well established or in affluent areas with big houses.

dai

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 09:14:26 pm »
gary most of the guys on here have a good few years under their belt
and back then there was plenty of work about, now their is a lot more window cleaners about and the areas have become more scarce.

you need to plan your canvassing look at new areas growing up in areas around you . the details you will find in the papers of builders advertising new estates.

aproach the show house and offer to do their windows for free, for the length of the time of the site.The sales reps will give you the info first of when new customers are moving in, this way you are first on the door.Again the new customers will not want to be hassled by you as they are moving in, so give them the first clean free, they will tell you to go ahead, as no one can refuse a free meal,  leave your business card with them and tell them you will come in a regular basis.This way you will get most of the site and a very compact round

remeber you are only doing the first clean free, you will benifit from then on

the site manager will be more than happy to allow you to do the show house as he is getting it free as well, and will probably call you when they move onto a new estate.When you have enough you can stop this process

hope this helps- a slow process but one that works

jinky.

GGOD ADVICE
This is exactly what I did 13 years ago. Other wc's thought I was mad doing free first cleans. In reality it only came to 3 or 4 a month. Dai

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 09:21:45 pm »
10 out off a hundred is good for flyers if you are new to an area
get a couple off store fronts in the more up market areas of town wear some thing diff like a red our bright blue boiler suit and i mean do the store front for next to f,,k all ,do it at a peak time ie 9 am till 11  on one of your quiter days and take your time wipe the sils six times if you have to ,talk to passers by morning hows your father ,always have cards in your pocket ,you are your own advert  in a top high street position now your a smart boy work it out
i mean if a thousand people pass you twice aweek
why spend 20 quid fuel and a printer bill  and a few hours walking and chaping doors
they will come !!!!!!
have faith and a smart head
thats what i done six employees later if i break in to a new area there is always a local butcher our baker willing to get his windows done for a steak our a cream cake
and wtch your books fill up then
shammy davis ...........

geefree

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 09:46:49 pm »
thanks sarah, helen, tosh shammy,dai,paul,mac,... oh there are too many.. lol i tried... thanks again to you all... i feel like i just met a lot of good friends.  :D

Gary.

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 09:54:36 pm »
he bet you wished you never asked ;D
lay the mortar then the brick in nine months time you will have a pub then you can buy us all a drink  ;)
go get em cowboy yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa

cybersye

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 10:16:18 pm »
sorry been a bit lazy and not read through all the posts on this :-[ so hope I hav'nt repeated whats already been said.
but i'm suprised at the number of calls i get from properties in areas I flyered up to maybe 6 months ago, my flyer is not a flashy full colour jobby, A6 b&W photocopy on bright yellow paper,people obviously take note and stick it on the fridge or whatever, a catchy name helps too I think especially if your vehicle is sign written the same and stands out, my vans a bright yellow same as my flyers and people notice.
Also as shammy davies says get some work somewhere prominent and get yourself noticed.
 I've always shyed away from doorknocking because i bloody hate canvassers myself, but if I was to I reckon a Saturday morning (not too early) would find people at home more relaxed. Whenever i have worked a Saturday I've usually picked up a few new customers just by neighbours being home and seeing me doing next door.
I dont know if anyone else does this but I offer a  discount to my regulars who recommend me : any new regular contract I get from their recommendation they get 50% off their next bill, saves me time walking streets or advertising and helps to build a regular round.
I've still much to learn but this forum has helped a lot, thanks guys
good luck
Simon :)

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 02:39:25 pm »
I agrre with just about all the others replying to your post here m8...For me too it was hard at first, especially where you been out door knocking all day with nothing to show for it at the end of it!
like one of the posts here I too went to building sites and asked the lady in the reception to tell me when and which plot numbers will be getting occupied...she didnt mind at all and gave me a list of what i asked for and I ended up with about 98% of the work in the site!!

Be polite to the potential customers, put some effort into talking to them and explain the way you run your business, good business cards and flyers detailing who you are..befriend them where possible and try and connect with them....This is how to win them over!

show them you do a good job time after time and you will end up with a good round, and then word will get around slowly but surely that you are good and reliable etc..and more customers will come your way :)
good luck mate
when I'm cleaning windows

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 02:45:31 pm »
also...you probably already do this but I put my flyers up on the ad boards at all the local shops...ive had a lot of business this way. Some of the shops, i clean the windows for them to pay for the flyer to stay up permenantly.

I used to get loads of ppl saying that they never find wc's advertising and never seem to see any of them around, so I thought "ah hah..I will advertise in shops then" ;) mainly cos ive seen all the housewives etc reading the ad boards at the shops and am bound to get some work from it!!
when I'm cleaning windows

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 05:02:07 pm »
hi Gary , the best way i have found to pick up new customers is to stand outside the local supermarket , there is a little londis store in the middle of a big development where part of my round is ,which is used by mostly local residents . I simply ask if i could take there post code ,if its AL1 bingo the area i work, i then  ask if there windows have been cleaned recently or  do they have a wc ask what type house 3 4 bed ect  . offer to give them  quote , after only about 1-2 hours you should have about 25 leads, this method takes you to places you proberbly wouldnt  canvass . give them a rough estimate there and then i say between £10 and £20  as ive turned up before and the lady said she was only paying £4.50 to the last guy . Qualify them then close them . Good Luck   Steve J