AuRavelling79

Making your life easier.
« on: July 06, 2023, 09:01:32 am »
Any things you do to speed up your work, improve ££ per hour or expend less effort doing work?
It's a game of three halves!

Ascjim

Re: Making your life easier.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 09:08:24 am »
Getting someone else to do the work.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 09:39:13 am »
I have stopped taking on any work that involves using a long pole (30ft or more). I’ve also begun to gradually stop doing any existing 30ft pole work, by citing vague ‘insurance’ issues.

This has improved efficiency dramatically, and made for easier working days.

lal

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:50:08 am »

Completely stopped using ladders for  awkward windows, that can't be reached with WFP.  :) :)

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 10:11:13 am »
Stop taking cash
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 10:15:09 am »
Any things you do to speed up your work, improve ££ per hour or expend less effort doing work?

Tubeless - 15 seconds a job
Envelope through door at start of clean rather than walk back to the van at the end - minute a job
Wash enough to get the window clean but not overmuch - 3-15 minutes a job depending on whom you are comparing us to
Text so gates are unlocked - 2-3 minutes a day
Filter vessel on tube to brush head preventing blockages in fanjets - 3-4 minutes every other day
Ruthlessly keep route as short as possible - 10 minutes a day
Change in pocket - minute a day
Work with a sense of purpose - hour a day, possibly two
No texting or forum surfing - 20 minutes a day

Vin

DJW

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 10:49:41 am »
I have my breakfast the night before. Saves an hour.

Gringo

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 11:01:52 am »
I post my chits the night before, saves me faffing about on the day, time saved really adds up

NBwcs

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 11:11:44 am »
Following on from a thread on here about a year ago, I now use a camping pee bottle when I need to go and being in my late 50"s and on high blood pressure med I need to go far more than I used to. Instead of reeling in the hose and going off to somewhere neatby where I know I can have a discreet pee I now just pop in the back of the van then antibac hands. I genuinely reckon Im getting 2 1/2 to 3 hrs more cleaning time per week within the same time frame, it's been a gamechanger  :). I've also put prices up, get up a bit earlier and restrict myself to only going on  the net during my one break a day (which is now). When going through one of those fed up patches I was spending far too long on the phone, anything but work. As a result of these adjustments I'm getting more free time and feeling the benefit.

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 01:14:17 pm »
I sold my 40 odd foot pole to the lad who worked with me last.

Longest I have now is a 25 that's stopped me doing some awkward velux and dormers.

That's made life easier

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 01:41:22 pm »
I work out the side of the van rather than the back.
Electric reel works for me.
30m of Gardiners reinforced pole hose on the end of my reel.
Xtreme poles and brushes.
I wear a small Stanley pouch on my belt that holds a cloth, a scraper and a magic eraser pad, sometimes it's just easier to have those tools to hand.
Try not to stress over stuff, like locked gates or awkward customers, it's part of our job as a window cleaner, so deal with it, stay happy and move on.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

lal

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 02:06:39 pm »

Tubeless - 15 seconds a job
Envelope through door at start of clean rather than walk back to the van at the end - minute a job
Wash enough to get the window clean but not overmuch - 3-15 minutes a job depending on whom you are comparing us to
Text so gates are unlocked - 2-3 minutes a day
Filter vessel on tube to brush head preventing blockages in fanjets - 3-4 minutes every other day
Ruthlessly keep route as short as possible - 10 minutes a day
Change in pocket - minute a day
Work with a sense of purpose - hour a day, possibly two
No texting or forum surfing - 20 minutes a day

Vin

Hi Vin,  what sort of filter is this, it must be very small,   (Filter vessel on tube to brush head)     
Regards
Larry

harleyman

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 02:14:36 pm »
I don't remove celotape glue.or the window stickers left on by lazey window installers..I just say there is a hi risk of scratching the window pain  works every time

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 03:23:38 pm »
Following on from a thread on here about a year ago, I now use a camping pee bottle when I need to go and being in my late 50"s and on high blood pressure med I need to go far more than I used to. Instead of reeling in the hose and going off to somewhere neatby where I know I can have a discreet pee I now just pop in the back of the van then antibac hands. I genuinely reckon Im getting 2 1/2 to 3 hrs more cleaning time per week within the same time frame, it's been a gamechanger  :). I've also put prices up, get up a bit earlier and restrict myself to only going on  the net during my one break a day (which is now). When going through one of those fed up patches I was spending far too long on the phone, anything but work. As a result of these adjustments I'm getting more free time and feeling the benefit.

Bucket on a belt is great for a discreet wee. And easy to wash out too. I'd never drive away for a wee.  ;D

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2023, 04:23:37 pm »
Ive always had a daily £  target, generally i put enough on the worksheet to mean i would be finished around 2pm if i went hell for leather....but  thinking about it i found having that money target  to be a stress in itself, like i couldnt go home before i hit the target (so working long after i was totally fed up resulting in stress, frustration and anger) or i would go home early and then feel guilty about not hitting the target again stressing me out. It made me rush around like a madman having only a very short break trying to get the target done....but i realise the harder i push  myself to a money target each week only results in me feeling totally fed up with the job...

What ive been doing this last couple weeks is just having a time goal, so i start at 8 and work till 2, i dont worry how much money that results in which has made me relax a bit more and made it (i wont say more enjoyable) more bearable.

The magic thing is ive earned the same if not more, ive even worked friday last week and will be tomorrow, i dont feel as burnt out or stressed.... the numbers take care of themselves by simply putting the time in.

Rather than looking at the sheet thinking, ive got to do another 6 houses or another 100 quid before i can go home i just think ah only a couple of hours to do. Once its 2pm i clock out and go home, whatever is left gets done the next day or maybe if im feeling good i would go knock out a few more jobs but either way it isnt as stressfull.

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2023, 04:24:16 pm »
I have stopped taking on any work that involves using a long pole (30ft or more). I’ve also begun to gradually stop doing any existing 30ft pole work, by citing vague ‘insurance’ issues.

We charge a much higher rate for  3 storey  and above makes it much more worth while doing it , especially when ones like you don't want the job 😂😂😂

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2023, 04:37:02 pm »

We charge a much higher rate for  3 storey  and above makes it much more worth while doing it , especially when ones like you don't want the job 😂😂😂

I can reach 3 storeys with my 25, i do quite  a few of them, it was mainly the velux jobs i used the longer pole for. I hate velux windows with a passion.

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2023, 04:38:19 pm »
electric reel for me has made my life better, quicker and less back pain

Perfect Windows

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2023, 04:59:34 pm »
Hi Vin,  what sort of filter is this, it must be very small,   (Filter vessel on tube to brush head)     
Regards
Larry

One of these:

They're about 30mm across and 45mm long (or so). Eberspacher fuel filters.

Anything up to £7.50 each here (!) or about 30p each - if you buy a handful - from Aliexpress. Some are sealed so you have to backwash them, some you can drop the filter out for a wash. The hose tails fit perfectly on pole hose. I get about six or eight months out of one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005333562002.html - have a good look around as I've found them as low as 25p each including delivery when I bought (I think) about twenty. Watch out for shipping prices.

Vin

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2023, 05:11:27 pm »
Regards
Larry

One of these:

They're about 30mm across and 45mm long (or so). Eberspacher fuel filters.

Anything up to £7.50 each here (!) or about 30p each - if you buy a handful - from Aliexpress. Some are sealed so you have to backwash them, some you can drop the filter out for a wash. The hose tails fit perfectly on pole hose. I get about six or eight months out of one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005333562002.html - have a good look around as I've found them as low as 25p each including delivery when I bought (I think) about twenty. Watch out for shipping prices.

Vin

Surely you have a filter before your pump don’t  you ?. If so then you shouldn’t need this ?.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2023, 05:13:15 pm »
Start half hour later and finish half hour earlier, saves an hour each day!😎👌
Comfortably Numb!

Perfect Windows

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2023, 05:22:50 pm »
Surely you have a filter before your pump don’t  you ?. If so then you shouldn’t need this ?.

Certainly do but this still catches an amazing amount of stuff. I've never had a blocked sprayjet since I started using them.

Vin

deeege

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2023, 05:37:38 pm »

Certainly do but this still catches an amazing amount of stuff. I've never had a blocked sprayjet since I started using them.

Vin

I’ve probably had 3 maybe 4 blocked jets in 12 years of window cleaning. Isn’t this a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dd

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2023, 06:15:53 pm »

Bucket on a belt is great for a discreet wee. And easy to wash out too. I'd never drive away for a wee.  ;D
Why wash it?

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2023, 06:34:06 pm »

Vin

So how is dirt entering the hose past the filter ?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2023, 07:45:04 pm »

Why wash it?

:o  ;D

DJW

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2023, 09:30:04 pm »
Don’t see how you reach it on your belt.

Smudger

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2023, 10:07:33 pm »
I used to use those filters - they are ok - even if you have a strainer on the tank but disconnect your pole hose there is a chance dirt will get into the rectus fitting.

I eliminated this now by not disconnecting the pole hose (very rarely)- this solved the grit in the jet problem

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Perfect Windows

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2023, 12:09:36 am »
No idea why I get blocked jets. I use 100 deg fans. They're pretty fine and they block fairly regularly. With the filters they don't.

Vin

Ggh

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2023, 07:45:10 pm »
Robots.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2023, 02:24:54 pm »

Completely stopped using ladders for  awkward windows, that can't be reached with WFP.  :) :)

Same....

As well as limiting add on jobs like f/s/g and conny roofs to 1 or 2 per month.

I also keep my working hours per day to 6 hours (or less)

Obviously using very light poles and brushes and an electric reel.

I can't make my working day any easier these days.its impossible as I've already took the steps necessary to maximise my efficiency over many years.

In fact I've been guilty of excessively and obsessively being over organised in regards to window cleaning.im still fairly rigid in my approach but I realise it's only a small(but still important)part in my life but it's not the be all and end all.

Have a great day chaps 👍
price higher/work harder!

lal

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2023, 12:15:27 pm »

Same....

I can't make my working day any easier these days.its impossible as I've already took the steps necessary to maximise my efficiency over many years.

In fact I've been guilty of excessively and obsessively being over organised in regards to window cleaning.im still fairly rigid in my approach but I realise it's only a small(but still important)part in my life but it's not the be all and end all.

Have a great day chaps 👍

Hey Dazmond, just some advice from you please, what light brushes do you recommend for everyday maintenance cleans,
for durability, scrubbing power hot water use.
best regards
Larry

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2023, 04:07:57 pm »

Same....

Have a great day chaps 👍

Hey Dazmond, just some advice from you please, what light brushes do you recommend for everyday maintenance cleans,
best regards
Larry

Hi Larry

For me the supreme stiff is the best compromise between weight,durability and scrubbing power.its also great with hot water.this is my main brush for most work with the stiff Xtreme brush for awkward work.
price higher/work harder!

lal

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2023, 06:11:42 pm »

Same....

Have a great day chaps 👍

best regards
Larry

Hi Larry

For me the supreme stiff is the best compromise between weight,durability and scrubbing power.its also great with hot water.this is my main brush for most work with the stiff Xtreme brush for awkward work.

Thanks Dazmond, appreciated.