anderclean

Guttervac genny hire
« on: December 20, 2022, 05:56:17 pm »
Guy's
have a big commercial gutter clear early Jan
Gonna be using a 28 watt g/v and a 36 watt g/v
Can you advise on 2 things please

What size generator we'll need to hire to run them both, best type ect.
And any idea's about removing all the gutter debris,  it's town centre's so know handy foliage for tipping, nor brown bins..

Thanks

DJW

Re: Guttervac genny hire
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 06:05:14 pm »
Watt? That doesn’t sound right.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 06:16:50 pm »
Never used my Vac in a situation where’s I’ve needed a generator  sucks well enough with 6-7 poles up in the air.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 06:17:25 pm »
Guy's
have a big commercial gutter clear early Jan
Gonna be using a 28 watt g/v and a 36 watt g/v
Can you advise on 2 things please

What size generator we'll need to hire to run them both, best type ect.
And any idea's about removing all the gutter debris,  it's town centre's so know handy foliage for tipping, nor brown bins..

Thanks

We have been told by our council that we require a licence to transport gutter waste (a waste carrier's licence) and included in the application is to explain how we intend to dispose of that waste via recycling.

So I would be more concerned about that aspect before looking for a generator set.

2800 watt and 3600 watt Vacuum units would need a 5kw for the first and a 6.5kw for the second. If the 3600 is a 3 motor vacuum you will need to start each motor separately and wait until it is up to speed before starting the next.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 06:22:48 pm »
⬆️ and this is enough to make people think jog  on then goodness me H&S this dispose like that lol,have you seen the state of some of these buildings dishing out the rules because of the government and they are pretty much government buildings even though partially privately funded.
Don’t leave you’re rubbish here please tip it over our building and smear it all over the render as you will see round the majority of the property 🤣🤣🤣

anderclean

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 06:36:40 pm »
2,800 watt and 3,600  watt, yes
i'll speak to the hire guys tomorrow, i know there are some knowledgeable guys on here, thought one genny would run both..

Re waste disposal, we're 99% residential, so this situation is new to us..

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 07:02:05 pm »
one will ru it but has to be at least 12Kw - which I think comes in at the size of a small container  ;D

Waste removal will best be by skip

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 07:34:53 pm »
one will ru it but has to be at least 12Kw - which I think comes in at the size of a small container  ;D

Waste removal will best be by skip

Darran

Agree. But it must be on site and the responsibility of the skip hire company to dispose of the waste. Skip hire must be included in your price. I realise things change, but if the skip is in town, then there are rules they have to consider. I believe they still have to apply for a permit before they 'drop' the skip.

I also believe that if you are working in a public area where there is foot traffic, you have to clear this with the council. You also need to set up an exclusion zone with barriers and a banksman to ensure public safety.

DJW

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 08:00:36 pm »
Possibly the waste could be hazardous.

I did a building once where the gutters were full of pigeon poop. Not nice stuff to dispose of. Luckily the company never asked for details of disposal.

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 08:43:20 pm »
Skip companies these days ask all these questions when booking - if they are a decent one they may have a contact in the council and sort the paperwork

We have several contracts via councils and their subbies which require skip - unlike private owners they are more than happy to add a skip price onto the bill

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

anderclean

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 10:20:56 pm »
thanks guys - very helpful   :)

Ggh

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 08:12:02 am »
Is it not trade waste even if you’re cleaning residential? You’re still a commercial business? Not sure….?
I’ve got about 20 bags of gutter crap I’ve had for a year, still don’t know what to do with them😄

Think you may need chapter 8 pedestrian barriers for your commercial job.

Are these gutter vacs 16amp?

You’ll need a concrete method statement.

It’s all doable though, just price for the extra time and kit etc.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 04:13:58 pm »
2,800 watt and 3,600  watt, yes
i'll speak to the hire guys tomorrow, i know there are some knowledgeable guys on here, thought one genny would run both..

Re waste disposal, we're 99% residential, so this situation is new to us..

The same rule applies to residential. This is why we dispose of our customers gutter waste in their garden.

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 04:26:41 pm »
I would have thought all theses questions should have been asked before quoting the  job , surely if you do this kind of work regularly then you should already have or know what kva generator you will need . Also if this is commercial work then you should be using 110 volt vacs not 240 but again as a contractor you should already know this . As for removing rubbish from  site again you should know that if you are transporting it yourself  you need a waist carriers licence obtained from  the council usually theses are free . If using a skip hire company then they will sort it out . If cordoning off a section of pavement then again you have to inform the  council and have the appropriate signage and diversion  routes for pedestrians and possibly consider traffic lights if needed . I dont feel that you really have the skill set for this type of work and could very easily drop yourself in it with the local authority probably best to pass on the job and get a firm to do it that know what they are doing .

DJW

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 04:30:29 pm »
I would have thought all theses questions should have been asked before quoting the  job , surely if you do this kind of work regularly then you should already have or know what kva generator you will need . Also if this is commercial work then you should be using 110 volt vacs not 240 but again as a contractor you should already know this . As for removing rubbish from  site again you should know that if you are transporting it yourself  you need a waist carriers licence obtained from  the council usually theses are free . If using a skip hire company then they will sort it out . If cordoning off a section of pavement then again you have to inform the  council and have the appropriate signage and diversion  routes for pedestrians and possibly consider traffic lights if needed . I dont feel that you really have the skill set for this type of work and could very easily drop yourself in it with the local authority probably best to pass on the job and get a firm to do it that know what they are doing .

I bet he can spell though!

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 04:54:38 pm »
A bit of a low blow there.......

Splash is essentially correct tho.  all these things needed to be in place before taking the work on - I assume as the OP just uses customer electric on the basis its saving him/her money not to have a Genny.

Commercial work is a different ball game to the domestic stuff - even down to what cloths you wear - more often than not now its NO Shorts and NO rigger boots

Darran

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 05:14:39 pm »

I bet he can spell though!

I might not be good at spelling but can do a simple gutter vac job 😂😂😂

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 09:45:11 am »

I agree with this. It is good advice, and the o/p must not be offended by this advice.

I forgot about the industrial voltage regulations. And taking all this into consideration, I certainly wouldn't even be thinking about quoting this job.
I very much doubt that his insurance policy would cover this either. For me, just that risk of personal (myself and others, bystanders) would be too high.

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 11:40:35 am »

I agree with this. It is good advice, and the o/p must be offended by this advice.

I forgot about the industrial voltage regulations. And taking all this into consideration, I certainly wouldn't even be thinking about quoting this job.
I very much doubt that his insurance policy would cover this either. For me, just that risk of personal (myself and others, bystanders) would be too high.

What I said wasn’t intended to offend but from a legal point of view ignorance won’t get you off the hook and doing a job like this in the Main Street of a busy town  is going to get you noticed  either for good or bad if ones are having to ask such questions on hear then clearly they shouldn’t be doing this type of work as they  don’t understand the law for starters , if this job is for the local authority and I doubt it is as they would have been asking theses questions and a lot more at the tendering stage , so one assumes it’s for a private individual or company they don’t understand the law  that’s ware  experience from our point of view comes in explaining to them what’s involved, we recently quoted a 4 storey building in the Main Street of a very busy town the only way to do the job safely was to shut  the road this added considerably to the cost of the job the company that owned the premises had had several other quotes less than a quarter of what we charged , they asked why our price was so high when I explained they understood, also if it had gone  pare shared with the other companies doing the job they also would have been held responsible, I’ll leave you to work out who got the job 😂😂😂

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 12:18:48 pm »

I agree with this. It is good advice, and the o/p must be offended by this advice.

What I said wasn’t intended to offend but from a legal point of view ignorance won’t get you off the hook and doing a job like this in the Main Street of a busy town  is going to get you noticed  either for good or bad if ones are having to ask such questions on hear then clearly they shouldn’t be doing this type of work as they  don’t understand the law for starters , if this job is for the local authority and I doubt it is as they would have been asking theses questions and a lot more at the tendering stage , so one assumes it’s for a private individual or company they don’t understand the law  that’s ware  experience from our point of view comes in explaining to them what’s involved, we recently quoted a 4 storey building in the Main Street of a very busy town the only way to do the job safely was to shut  the road this added considerably to the cost of the job the company that owned the premises had had several other quotes less than a quarter of what we charged , they asked why our price was so high when I explained they understood, also if it had gone  pare shared with the other companies doing the job they also would have been held responsible, I’ll leave you to work out who got the job 😂😂😂

Sorry! Ive corrected what I intended to write. It should have been the o/p must not be offended .............