Marko

Anyone tech savvy? George question!
« on: May 03, 2021, 03:33:32 pm »
I know, I know!!!
I use George 😊
I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
This last week it's started playing up - I can't print a round sheet off & If I try and amend a round order it keeps popping up with 'selected printer not valid' ???
I've uninstall, done restore etc.. several times, and even if I don't register the product and use the free 60 use version I still get the same message?
I dug out my old laptop which uses windows Vista - installed George, ran data restore - works perfectly fine??
Any ideas why I'm having problems on windows 10 ?
Any help greatly appreciated 👍

Ched

Re: Anyone tech savvy? George question!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:53:50 pm »
I know, I know!!!
I use George 😊
I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
This last week it's started playing up - I can't print a round sheet off & If I try and amend a round order it keeps popping up with 'selected printer not valid' ???
I've uninstall, done restore etc.. several times, and even if I don't register the product and use the free 60 use version I still get the same message?
I dug out my old laptop which uses windows Vista - installed George, ran data restore - works perfectly fine??
Any ideas why I'm having problems on windows 10 ?
Any help greatly appreciated 👍
You could try right clicking on George and run as admin. If that doesn't work try right clicking on George and select properties, then run in compatibility mode and select a different version of windows.
Hope that helps?

Marko

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 04:05:16 pm »
Cheers bud - I've already right clicked and then tried running in Vista but will try admin.

What does that mean - running as administrator?
Cheers

Ched

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 04:09:03 pm »
Cheers bud - I've already right clicked and then tried running in Vista but will try admin.

What does that mean - running as administrator?
Cheers
Sorry on your windows 10 machine right click on the george icon and select properties, then select compatibility tab, then click 'run this program in compatibility mode' then select say Vista, then OK and see if that works. It's a way for windows 10 to run George as if it were another windows version like Vista. It doesn't always help but it could do and only a few clicks of the mouse to try.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 04:30:11 pm »
In my experience a recent update caused printer problems for me.

I have a Samsung printer. I used the Samsung software to control the printer. One of the updates ticked the box to allow Windows to manage my default printer.

(Settings, Devices, Printers and scanners, uncheck box allow windows to manage default printer.)

On George whenever the print screen comes up; ie. daily report it asks if you want to  print.  If you choose print then another box asks you if you want to view on screen or printer; a box for each choice.  If printer, then you can setup your printer. My printer is wifi connected but I can choose another option for the same printer to be connected via usb.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Marko

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 04:32:40 pm »
Yeah sorry bud - I've already done that on windows 10.
It's totally foxed me - I've tried all the updates, uninstalling, updating, completely uninstalling -everything! I've ran all the updates for my printer, I've disabled my anti virus.
The online contact with George admin is very poor and offer little help.
Just wondering if it's a windows 10 update and if so, had anyone else has a problem?

Marko

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 04:37:28 pm »
In my experience a recent update caused printer problems for me.

I have a Samsung printer. I used the Samsung software to control the printer. One of the updates ticked the box to allow Windows to manage my default printer.

(Settings, Devices, Printers and scanners, uncheck box allow windows to manage default printer.)

On George whenever the print screen comes up; ie. daily report it asks if you want to  print.  If you choose print then another box asks you if you want to view on screen or printer; a box for each choice.  If printer, then you can setup your printer. My printer is wifi connected but I can choose another option for the same printer to be connected via usb.
Thanks for this - I don't understand though why, when I just want to amend a round order, it pops up with 'selected printer not valid''
When I try to look at expenses it says 'selected printer not valid' ??
When I just want to move a customer it says 'selected printer not valid' ?
Nothing to do with my printer as far as I'm concerned?

Thanks

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 04:56:40 pm »
I'm not windows savvy - moved to apple several years ago - do you think that George maybe just incompatible with windows - esp as you said it still works on a older version

any chance George can advise you ? - I realise its a bank holiday but they may respond to an urgent query

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Marko

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 05:50:30 pm »
I'm not windows savvy - moved to apple several years ago - do you think that George maybe just incompatible with windows - esp as you said it still works on a older version

any chance George can advise you ? - I realise its a bank holiday but they may respond to an urgent query

Darran
Thanks for the reply.
George only works on windows I'm afraid!
I've contacted the admin but the response is very poor - no real contact just basic help.
Thankfully I've got an old laptop that George seems to work fine on - just have to wait about 5 days for it to boot up!!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 06:22:47 pm »
You need to turn your firewall off.

I bet you have Mcafee
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Marko

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 07:09:44 pm »
You need to turn your firewall off.

I bet you have Mcafee
Nope - Norton.
George Was working just fine about 10 days ago

windowswashed

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 07:47:10 pm »
Go into your basic settings on your pc and make your desired printer your default one and do the same on George.

Windows made an update a few months back and people were having problems with their printers but new updates fixed that problem. Never experienced any problems with printer with windows but my printer is a new driver anyway.

Marko

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 08:02:41 pm »
Go into your basic settings on your pc and make your desired printer your default one and do the same on George.

Windows made an update a few months back and people were having problems with their printers but new updates fixed that problem. Never experienced any problems with printer with windows but my printer is a new driver anyway.
Already done that.
Don't understand though why it would say 'selected printer not valid' when all I want to do is amend a round order?? Got nothing to do with my printer.
I've updated all the drivers on my printer.
I've updated my computer.
I've amended any settings so they are all set to the one and only printer I own.
The programme works fine on my old laptop running windows Vista.
It was working fine about 2wks ago on my laptop running windows 10.
I've owned and run this laptop and printer alongside George for about 2yrs with no problems.

windowswashed

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 10:06:37 pm »
When you are about to print something out from George go to 'printer set up button' and select default printer instead of simply pressing the print button, may help you

Marko

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 06:39:48 am »
When you are about to print something out from George go to 'printer set up button' and select default printer instead of simply pressing the print button, may help you
It's not just when I need to print something though.
I don't think it's about the printer - I think somehow the programme has become corrupted? Even if I just click on, for example, expenses - a pop up appears saying 'selected printer not valid' and won't let me view anything? I've tried uninstalling everything etc..
Works fine on my other laptop though? Using the same settings & printer etc. 
Got me baffled

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 07:47:54 am »
i cant believe in this day and age your still using the george program....it always was basic....i used to use it with pocket george years ago until my PDA broke but the software is very dated,cant use it on smartphones and i used to have the same problems your having with installing and uninstalling george when having issues(usually printer problems).it used to do my head in......its a complete waste of time,also it wouldnt sync sometimes when trying to update my work at the end of my working day.,very annoying! >:(....

do yourself a favour and move over to one of the better,more professional window cleaning programs(aworka,squeegee,cleaner planner,etc)....i use cleaner planner and have done for years now...its well worth £15 a month for me....its slick,fast and just so much better than george!(like going from a glassfibre pole to an xtreme pole)....

everything from printing invoices,slips and statements are just so much more professional with CP(you can add your logo to them)also i can log in on any device in the world and access my work......i currently use a chromebook and hp printer(which sends me ink when printers getting low!).....also dont underestimate how great it is to have your worksheets on your smartphone!apart from updating your work on the go you can add new jobs and slot them into the round order you want them and theyll stay there for next clean and so many other great features that george doesnt offer which saves me admin time
price higher/work harder!

Marko

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 08:23:55 am »
i cant believe in this day and age your still using the george program....it always was basic....i used to use it with pocket george years ago until my PDA broke but the software is very dated,cant use it on smartphones and i used to have the same problems your having with installing and uninstalling george when having issues(usually printer problems).it used to do my head in......its a complete waste of time,also it wouldnt sync sometimes when trying to update my work at the end of my working day.,very annoying! >:(....

do yourself a favour and move over to one of the better,more professional window cleaning programs(aworka,squeegee,cleaner planner,etc)....i use cleaner planner and have done for years now...its well worth £15 a month for me....its slick,fast and just so much better than george!(like going from a glassfibre pole to an xtreme pole)....

everything from printing invoices,slips and statements are just so much more professional with CP(you can add your logo to them)also i can log in on any device in the world and access my work......i currently use a chromebook and hp printer(which sends me ink when printers getting low!).....also dont underestimate how great it is to have your worksheets on your smartphone!apart from updating your work on the go you can add new jobs and slot them into the round order you want them and theyll stay there for next clean and so many other great features that george doesnt offer which saves me admin time
Cheers for this - I don't see the point of paying £180 a year++ for something very simple.
George does everything I need it to and worked very well until this last week or so.

Marko

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:12 am »

Cheers for this - I don't see the point of paying £180 a year++ for something very simple.
George does everything I need it to and worked very well until this last week or so.
Just been on cleaner planners website - basic package is now £228 a year?? Can it really be worth it for something so simple?

Ched

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 12:48:16 pm »

I know it may sound silly but have you tried installing a 'virtual printer'? Basically it sounds like George doesn't like what Windows has done to the printer drivers. So if you install something like https://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp then select this as your default printer in windows and George maybe that could help? It is designed to produce pdf files, but instead of converting stuff to pdf you effectively send it to be pdf printed which creates a pdf.
Other than that have you tried to roll back windows to a version before you had issues using system restore?

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 03:08:12 pm »

fair enough....i just think CP is much better and well worth the money...its tax deductible too....i also think your a cheapskate! ;) ;D

Marko

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 03:46:09 pm »

fair enough....i just think CP is much better and well worth the money...its tax deductible too....i also think your a cheapskate! ;) ;D
So apart from being able to have your work on your smart phone and access it anywhere in the world (totally useless for me as a sole trader as when I'm on holiday I can't be arsed with work anyway) it's actually hardly any different to George apart from costing over £200 a year!! Just because it's tax deductable It's still costing you money!! I'll take cheap skate all day long thanks 👍

Marko

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 03:51:04 pm »

I know it may sound silly but have you tried installing a 'virtual printer'? Basically it sounds like George doesn't like what Windows has done to the printer drivers. So if you install something like https://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp then select this as your default printer in windows and George maybe that could help? It is designed to produce pdf files, but instead of converting stuff to pdf you effectively send it to be pdf printed which creates a pdf.
Other than that have you tried to roll back windows to a version before you had issues using system restore?
I may be a bit daft but I can't see any option when I open George to set a default printer?? I've clicked on the print option tab but there's no option to select a printer? Is that something that mines missing?
Thanks

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 04:33:17 pm »

So apart from being able to have your work on your smart phone and access it anywhere in the world (totally useless for me as a sole trader as when I'm on holiday I can't be arsed with work anyway) it's actually hardly any different to George apart from costing over £200 a year!! Just because it's tax deductable It's still costing you money!! I'll take cheap skate all day long thanks 👍

of course do what you want......but in my experience george has had its day and is so outdated for most of us modern day window cleaners....i actually pay £180 per year but to me thats not a lot of money for hassle free admin..i also save money on paper and ink as no need to print my worksheets off....... :D

windowswashed

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 07:05:27 pm »
I bought Window Cleaner Pro once, smart when it worked but when it didn't what a pain in the backside having to rely on someone to sort it out.  Never again rely on someone to use a window cleaning program, George works fine for a sole trader with customers who pay BACS, bank transfers. Takes minutes to block text everyone night before in one go.

I too wouldn't use cleaner planner but Awoka looks fine as it's basically an online version of George.

windowswashed

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 07:06:51 pm »
Try closing down George program and run George fix to sort out your files then reopen it.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 09:44:18 pm »
Try closing down George program and run George fix to sort out your files then reopen it.

Sorry to be thick; how do you do that?
It's a game of three halves!

windowswashed

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 10:30:46 pm »
George 'Data Fix' is a download program to be used when George isn't working properly. You find it in the same place online where you find the george program.
You have to close George program before running the george data fix program which sorts any problems out. Then open George program back up and it should all be fixed.

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 11:12:24 pm »
George 'Data Fix' is a download program to be used when George isn't working properly. You find it in the same place online where you find the george program.
You have to close George program before running the george data fix program which sorts any problems out. Then open George program back up and it should all be fixed.

yeah thats right...i had to do that a few times myself when i was using it...it worked a treat

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 11:48:17 pm »
I bought Window Cleaner Pro once, smart when it worked but when it didn't what a pain in the backside having to rely on someone to sort it out.  Never again rely on someone to use a window cleaning program, George works fine for a sole trader with customers who pay BACS, bank transfers. Takes minutes to block text everyone night before in one go.

I too wouldn't use cleaner planner but Awoka looks fine as it's basically an online version of George.

There's a really good reason not to move to aworka  ;D ;D ;D
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

windowswashed

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 06:42:25 am »

There's a really good reason not to move to aworka  ;D ;D ;D

If Awoka goes it's no big deal as it's the same as George where as cleaner planner isn't  ;D How many times have we heard Oh no can't access cleaner planner on here  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:12 am »
I use George on a Windows 10 Microsoft tablet and it works fine for both of us.

I have full control of my records as they are with me and not 'in the cloud.'  I back up by daily activities to One Drive virtually every working day. For £50 some 16 years ago, it's been very good value for money.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Den68

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2021, 08:03:52 am »

How do you block txt please?

windowswashed

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:48 pm »
Organised my work into streets or hamlets as a group. Click on group and send a template text to all at once

Den68

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:43 pm »
Cheers mate 👍