Richy L

Any shurflo backpack users?
« on: March 17, 2006, 03:08:48 pm »
Do you waste too much time refilling the shurflo backpack if you use it all day? i imagine it would waste soo  much time.

Re: Any shurflo backpack users?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 03:16:16 pm »
If you plan to do everything 100% WFP, then yes, refilling the backpack would become a chore; in my opinion.

I reckon it holds around 20 litres and this would be enough to do one average semi at least.

So in my opinion the backpack is better suited to doing 'tops only', with the exception of any leaded or Gorgian type windows.  Do all of these with the backpack.

I can do three good sized semi's with my backpack before refilling or approximately four terraced houses.

After a while, you'll be to work out how much water you need and spend five minutes distributing water barrels at strategic locations down a street, to save walking back to your car.

You'll only use around 100 to 150 litres per day; therefore you can still use a car; you won't need a van; but a van would be nice.

I generally 'run round' and WFP the tops of a clump of houses, say three of them, then go back to the first and squeegie the ground floors.

Then repeat the process.

brett walker

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 05:14:47 pm »
I found that keep filling it up got on my nerves, but i didnt give it time to get used to it. 

I will admit i was wrong because the more you do your windows the easier it gets less water you will use, so therefore you will be filling the backpack up less.

I also like the idea of Tosh's grab and go

So stick with it, everything comes to he who waits

Brett

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 05:25:50 pm »
I think I'll buy one, even if it doesnt work out that i use it on every house. It will still be handy for conservatory roofs and the odd georgian/leaded area

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 05:27:27 pm »
So Tosh, Is most of your round in Chepstow?

Yes, mate, Chepstow and Caldicot.

But with regards to you going WFP, on one-hand I hate saying, 'buy the Shurflo', just in case you don't get on with it.

Then on the other, I always think a backpack won't ever go to waste.  Even when your van-mounted; there'd always be somewhere where it'd come in handy.

A couple of guys here with a high-quality round have said they don't use them much anymore and prefer their van-mounted systems.

But on the other hand, I know of one guy here who says he rarely uses his van-mount and prefers the backpack.

So a lot is down to individual choice, type of round and budget.

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 05:33:13 pm »
Being as my round isn't really a high quallity round, its priced ok, just bitty, I think the backpack would be good, as I don't think the trolley or van mount would be speeding me up at all

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 05:41:48 pm »
Leeksons,

I've just looked at your profile and see you're in South Wales.

If you want to spend an hour or two with us (I work with my Missis (Wor Lass)), you're quite welcome.

I'll also show you the other paraphanalia that goes with the backpack.

I should be on commision from Shurflow!

Richy L

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 06:05:55 pm »
you should be!

I live in caldicot, so not far from you.
Where will you be cleaning on monday?

Garden City, Chepstow, but I'll be in Caldicot later in the week.  If you just want to 'land' on us when you've a spare moment, my mobile no is 07970039401.

I think I know who you are.  You canvassed some of my customers; you were a lot cheaper too; you naughty tyke! ;)

You live in a street that starts with a 'K'!

One of my customers gave me your card; they obviously wanted to start a window cleaning war! LOL.

By the way, those customers are underpriced in the first place.

It's a small world!

Give me a shout, mate, when you've got an hour spare and I'll do my best to help you out.

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 06:19:06 pm »
yea you've got it right. i live in a street starting with K. Am I really underpricing? Which customers do you mean?

jefftemperley

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 06:34:15 pm »
hi ihave a van mount, trolley and back pack set up.
for commercial work ie blocks of flats etc that is worth running out the hose i use van mount and trolley depending on access.
the quickest by far for domestic is the back pack i do average house in 5-6 mins with water set on second level with that flow rate i can do 4 houses comfortable waiting for 3mins for pack to fill after earning £40 for 30 mins work is no skin off my nose buy one you wont regret it

bad weather always looks worse through dirty windows

Richy L

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 06:39:08 pm »
cheers jef, i'm assuming you do both ups and downs then with the backpack. Looks like im goin to have to get one. I havnt got any big contracts really, so i think that will be fine for me for the moment

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 06:41:33 pm »
Leekson,

I'm talking about Tennyson Road, just round the corner from you.

I may have lost one customer to you, but you're welcome.  I wouldn't do that house for £5.00, which is what she said she can get it for.

I charged her £8.00 and I think that was underpriced.

My other customers there said they'd had someone canvass, one even gave me your card and I e-mailed you some addresses to call on; jobs that I didn't want.

Remember?

I don't mind competition.  I dish it out often enough.  My offer still stands, if you want to spend an hour or two with us, I'd be glad to show you the WFP ropes.

I'll give you a few tips about pricing jobs too!

Richy L

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 06:45:32 pm »
i dont do any in tennyson road for £5 i charge £8 too. I do one in Tennyson close for £6, but thats because it has a conservatory that she doesnt want cleaned, so i only have 2 windows around the back.

I'll take you up on that offer. So you say you'll be in garden city on monday, yeah? What do you look like just incase there is another window cleaner there the same day?

My name is Richard by the way

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 06:55:52 pm »
What do you look like

I'm fairly distinctive looking, you won't mistake me; I've got slanty-eyes and a Geordie-accent.

However, you'd probably be best seeing us at the end of the working day and then I can show you how the reverse-osmosis/DI bit works as well.

Richy L

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 06:59:25 pm »
will you be using the backpack in the morning?

It's just I'm seeing someone in barry later on that day about the backpacks and might be buying one off them monday afternoon.

i can find out how the R/O works off them, i just wanted to see it in action, because i know i wont be able to see it in use at the warehouse im going to.

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 08:19:06 pm »
If I get to garden city about 10ish would that be ok?

No probs, you have my mobile number; phone me when you get there.

Regards,

Tosh.

PS,

Bring your squeegie.  If you do four-houses-per-hour, I want to see your squeegie technique!

It's only fair!

Richy L

craig jwc

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006, 12:25:59 am »
I've been using my Shurflo Backpack for 7months now. I only got it to do the tops but found i got lazy within a few days and started using it on the whole house.
I use it everyday on tops & bottoms and like already mentioned each time you go back it gets easier and quicker and find you use less water.

I have just received my Freedom Trolley which has a bigger pump, plus it has a flow controller which means i can pump water higher.
I bought this as my round has got bigger and think it too much for the backpack to cope with on it's own.
Plus i am fitting my van out with a tank which you can run from this Freedom trolley but i will still have the option to wheel my water round with me if i want too.
I will still use my Backpack for the really hard to get areas.

Craig

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 04:49:16 am »
I have a backpack trolley and van mount but I keep going back to the back pack- its faster.

lippy

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2006, 09:46:50 am »
Do you waste too much time refilling the shurflo backpack if you use it all day? i imagine it would waste soo  much time.

lippy

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2006, 09:48:34 am »
where can you purchase a back pack,also could you tell me  everything i would need to get it working,and price .thanks

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2006, 12:42:43 pm »
Lippy, I'll have a try...

Changing over from using ladders to a Water-Fed-Pole (WFP) is without doubt a daunting task.  What system should you get?  What van to buy?  Do I need a van?  What reverse-osmosis unit should I purchase?  What's reverse-osmosis!!!!!? 

If you've a mainly residential round and plan to do 'tops only' with a WFP then the Shurflo back pack is a good place to start.

The whole set-up has to be purchased individually and should cost you around the £500 mark.

You can buy the Shurflo back pack from here:

http://www.williamsonpumps.co.uk/

Mine cost £215 including VAT and postage.

You can also buy them from E-Bay USA for around £160.

You'll also likely need a Reverse Osmosis (RO) unit and you will need a DI unit.

You can buy these from RO Man, (the unit in the link bellow would probably suffice), depending on how much water you plan to use.  Doing 'tops only' I use around 100 to 150 litres per day (it's four litres to a gallon by the way.

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/30

You'll also need a pole.  I suggest an 18" one if you're mainly doing 1st floor windows.  You can get these from numerous places, but this site generally gets a good rating and has an excellent 'frequently asked questions' area which explains just about everything you need to know to start using a WFP.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/

You'll also need a static tank, I use two 200 litre water butts, at least six 25 litre water barrels and a hand-held TDS meter (£13 approx).

Also, don't forget to ask lots of questions here.  I'm definitely not a WFP expert by any means.

lippy

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 02:43:28 pm »
thanks for the information tosh,im sure i will be back with more questions at a later date.cheers

Richy L

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 02:45:52 pm »
hey lippy, i might have found a way to get the whole system for £400, ill let you know if that price is right on tues, because ill know for sure then

richy

Ian Rochester

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 02:14:51 pm »
Just resurrecting this thread, I've just been watching a local lad with one of these Shurflo backpacks, he's just changed from ladders to WFP and I must say I was quite impressed at the set up and thought it could be a good back up to put in a spare van with a couple of filled barrels.

Where is the best place to get one from.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 02:34:03 pm »
the window cleaning warehouse, they have loads in stock and they are the cheapest, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Jack Avery

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 03:03:36 pm »
Got mine from the USA. Took six days and cost £120. Tracked and insured delivery.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 05:08:36 pm »
Cheers,

I've ended up ordering one from Cleantech, they did me a good deal with 4 water barrels and a few other bits and pieces, getting posted out today so I should have it by Monday.

I really just want it for a couple of jobs a week that one of our vans does, I did contemplate getting them a full van system fitted like the other van but for the amount that they will use it, it's not worth it at the moment.  Hopefully this will be a good short term stop gap.

I liked that fact that it is all self contained, we'll probably work it as a two man team, one doing tops with the shurflo and the other doing bottoms trad.  Be interesting to see how it goes.

quantum cleaning

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 10:06:16 pm »
we use a pump and varistream controller on a sack truck with a demountable  30 ltr barrel on 1 of our vans and we can do any jobs any more info get in touch

rachel@quantumcleaning.co.uk

Richy L

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 01:59:02 pm »
i bought one in the end.
I use it most days now. I do all the fronts with the backpack, and the guy who works for me does all the backs trad with a ladder.
Well worth the money! and its handy getting above some con roofs, and actually cleaning the con roofs.