Paul Forster

Re: 3 DAYS AT WFP AND C.T.S. REOCCURES. I AM DEVASATED.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 06:35:37 pm »
the operation to corect is simple and done under local anhisthetic. Next door had it done and was back working as electrician in 3 weeks

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 06:47:04 pm »
I hope I'm not going off on too much of a tangent here, but I've read on this site that the BWCA teaches a method of using the WFP in such a manner that it's your legs that do much of the work, not your arms or shoulders.

I'm not sure if this would make it easier on your wrist.

I'm also not sure if this would work for you.

Can anyone elucidate my post?

Roy Harding

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 07:02:09 pm »
Yes you walk in and out from the window this moves the brush up and down without moving your arms.

Roy

neil100

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 08:20:47 pm »
Had A practice today.

I think the problem is starting in my upper arm, Around the tricep muscle, So I could be trapping a nerve in there which is then affecting my wrist.

Its when you have an awkward window were you are trying to do it from the side at a very bad angle that really hurts. I am not to bad going straight up and down.

I do try and walk with the pole, keeping my right hand cupping the bottom of the pole near my waist line. I had some excellent demos on how to use a pole saftely. But if you have a bush or a wall or some obstacle behind you it is not allways possible.

I know the pole is too bendy that i've got,(EXTENDER) and I'm looking to replace it asap, with a good 18' carbon fibre pole if I can find someone to make it at the right price. Or the ego-lite firbeglass pole.

i HAVE BEEN GOING FOR IT, SOMETIMES 5HRS WITHOUT A STOP. aFTER TAKE A FEW KIT-KATS WITH ME.

nEL.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 09:38:28 pm »
Yes you walk in and out from the window this moves the brush up and down without moving your arms.

Roy

This is what I was shown too.  What may help even more is that holding the pole can often (but not always) be achieved without gripping too hard.  The technique involves supporting the base of the pole on the palm while using the other hand as a guide.  Another way I try now - which does involve gripping more - is to grip with one hand and use the other as a guide.  The advantage to this over the first method is that it's easier to switch hands while still working from the same side of the body.  Personally, I think I would find it very difficult to hold the pole on the other side of my body.  I think the first method I mentioned may be better for Neil.  I tend to chop and change so that the overall load is spread around over time.

poleman

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 09:45:04 pm »
Neil, not sure what poles you are using at the moment, but there is some new poles on the market that state they are 33% lighter. Personal speaking know where you are coming from with regards to pain as I have AS and will have to live with this for the rest of my life :(  http://www.brodexbms.co.uk/assets/waterfedpoles-ad.pdf

Andy 

jon adams

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 09:54:10 pm »
All this highlights the fact that window cleaning and our climate does not mix well. anyone with over 15 years of using arms above heads is fighting a losing battle, thats why most sane people with qualifications dont choose wc as a long term career. Also im afraid that using wfp will excaberate these problems :(
Jon

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2006, 10:28:38 pm »
Neil no time to elaborate but cupping at waist height is too high you need the pole base to be about knee height and put your lower hand lower than below the hip.

neil100

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 05:55:21 pm »
Just thought I would let you know how I got on this week.

I am still suffering with CTS. But the pains not as intense as that first week. I have done 4 1/2 full days this week with wfp. I took Tuesday off because of rain, but did a 280 mile round trip to get my faulty flowjet pump exchanged and fitted at Facelift in Derbyshire. They had also got my Shurflow Backpack swapped as it had a faulty switch.

I had planned to do downstairs Traditional this week and wfp tops, but I did up and downs with wfp. I want to get the first month out of the way, First Cleans are a real pain, But I know doing a very good job on the frames first cleans will pay dividends in the long run.

I timed myself doing my own windows with wfp today, I was not rushing just going nice and steady And it took me 27mins. It normally takes me 40 mins Traditional.
I have to say the finnish with wfp was impressive. I may have had a couple of spots for the entire house which is a vast improvment on the last clean.

So for the 3rd week ahead, I hope the pain does not get any worse, The pain has gone on my left arm, Its only the right arm  that is giveing me concern. I will keep rubbing in the BLUE EASE cream, it does seam to be helping in reducing the pain.
I put it on in the morning and my arms seam to be on fire while I am working, A bit like heat rub.

I think I have inflamed some tendons in my right tricep which is affecting the blood flow into my hand. Though it seams to be a bit brighter on the Horizon with wfp.
Thanks fot the tips.

Nel.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 06:08:49 pm »
Is any of this down to the wrist actions in changing the pole lengths (undoing the collars etc rather than the actual motion of using the pole?)
It's a game of three halves!

neil100

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 06:42:39 pm »
No. I think it is with the repetitive strain working with the poles at hight. which is worse on really awkward windows were the pole is at an angle.

On reflection I strained my right tricep muscle in September when hammering away at some concrete, which hurt like hell for a month. So I think with all the arm work it as flared up again.

I am sure that CTS is secondery to what is happening with my Tricep muscle. If my Triceps hurt it sets off CTS in my wrist and Hand.

Lifting the Vikan Brush to rinse an upstairs window puts additional strain on the right tricep.

Nel.

simbo

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 09:23:09 pm »
could you not try to fashion some sort of sling to releive some of the weight, not sure how but am sure i could find a way, as have a few joint probs myself
best of luck simb0

mark dew

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 12:32:56 am »
have you tried yoga? I had scooter accident when i was 17. Bruised both cartilage in knees. For 7 years i woke up everyday with stiff, painful knees. Enrolled on a yoga class for 1 hour a week. Did 30 minutes a night at home on my own. (Kept it up for a year) I can count on 1 hand the amount of times i've hand painful knees in the last 14 years.
Don't let the adverts for yoga put you off. The people pictured in strange poses are the ones who have been doing it for years.
Enrol on a yoga class and explain your situation to the instructor.
You will notice a vast improvement in yourself after 1 month of 30 minutes practice a night.
What's more it is free to do. Though i would highly recommend an instructor to hold you back at the beginning because everyone tries to stretch further than necessary and this strains the body.
Yoga is about relaxing the body to stretch. And this takes guidance at 1st.
As with any medical condition you need to get professional advice but i sincerely believe you can relieve your situation within a month for just 30 minutes a night and a 1 hour class with instructor once a week.