P @ F

Swivel advice please !
« on: September 15, 2019, 09:59:26 am »
Have been giving an old threaded Gardiner swivel another chance and this time round I like it .
Now I see that many models are available, the most common being the £10 type 1 .
But I also see one that goes from the swivel knuckle straight to a brush plate if you like , this I assume will be the lighter way to go but it looks shorter overall , does that hinder the amount of swivel ?
Which ones do you peeps use and why , pro’s cons ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

windowswashed

Re: Swivel advice please !
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:43:47 am »
I prefer the swivel joint to be as close to the brush as possible. Personal preference, tried the swivel further back the gooseneck but not as responsive i.e. cleaning a window above a conservatory off to the side.

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »
Wow , looks like it’s just us 2 that swivel then Windowswashed   ;D

Going to place an order for a brush and a swivel in a bit , let’s see how much more I end up buying while I’m logged in.  ;D ;D ;D

Den68

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 04:18:11 pm »
I use the normal swivel brilliant bit of kit, I like to change brushes often as my work can be very different for example might have a house that is leaded then next twonormal then leaded again.

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 05:00:10 pm »
I use the normal swivel brilliant bit of kit, I like to change brushes often as my work can be very different for example might have a house that is leaded then next twonormal then leaded again.

This is what I was thinking about , when I change a brush I find it easier to change the whole lot from angle adapter up , so the swivel that goes straight to the brush plate would I think be a lighter setup

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 06:11:03 pm »
That brush and swivel ended up as a £105 order  ;D
Ended up getting the normal swivels but buying the brush plates as well  , can try them both now !

Plankton

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 06:50:56 pm »
I've only used the original swivel, and for ease of ordering I've just added the swivel adapter to the last two (as you can't just order it already fitted). So I can't comment on the direct fitting but for me the extra cost would rule it (the fixed swivel) out due to the amount of brushes used.

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 07:37:41 pm »
See your point , but I prefer to just swap the lot so to speak , plus I will only really be hopping from medium sill to stiff sill now !

carl stanton

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 05:14:55 pm »
Love the swivel! Had one snap on me but it was old. I use the adapters so I can easily change it to solid when I need to.
But it feels strange and restrictive without the swivel on standard cleans.
Wouldn’t be without now.

When it wears I put a washer in so it is not to loose or doesn’t have to be tightened up to much

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 05:32:08 pm »
Got my 2 on now , I decided to get the standard type 1 swivels and then fit the direct to brush fittings , this allowed me to do away with the quick loc male and female fittings , upside is it’s 25 grams lighter so I have only increased the top of pole weight by 10 grams having gone from standard Xtreme to sill Xtreme, this also puts the pivot point 1inch closer to the brush which I think performs way better.

The downside is that the brush swappers amongst you will need a swivel neck for every brush as the quick loc has gone , I much prefer it that way anyway !

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 06:14:46 pm »
My slx turned into a swivel after about 6 months of use, every time I use it, the flipping thing swivels  ::)roll

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 07:04:09 pm »
My SLX is 3.5 years old now  and hasn’t spun yet  !
Now that’s VFM   ;D