paul alan

wiring up immersion heater 3kw
« on: November 26, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »
So I have an immersion fitted to my 650ltr wydale with one of them caravan type plugs fitted to the cord.

I have a 16amp wired outside socket for my ro booster pump and transfer pump.

How do I go about connecting the immersion to the mains??

Should I take a spur off the 16 amp cable before it gets to the sockets its feeding, and from that spur add a caravan type socket that I can send an extension cord into the van. Connecting the immersion to the mains??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated please.

DeLuce

Re: wiring up immersion heater 3kw
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:08:26 pm »
Hi Paul, make sure your cable from immersion to the plug socket is the right armoured strength for a 3kw element!!
Others will be on who can remember the specifics (Peavey Wolfgang  :D etc).
I had 3kw off my mains with normal sockets (it had circuit breakers) but downgraded to 2kw as I couldn't go to the 16amp set-up, and my plug got frighteningly hot. All OK now.
You'll be OK with the right 16amp set though.

paul alan

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:19:18 pm »
would this be safe to use?

DeLuce

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:38:48 pm »

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/calculating-volt-drop-cable-selection-and-mcb-selection-on-an-3kw-motor.28769/

Best to use 3-core, 2.5mm heat resistant cable to be sure.
There is a thread going back a few years on this very subject of safe wiring the 3kw set up.
I can't find it at the moment though.

DeLuce

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:45:43 pm »

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 07:17:25 pm »
Thanks rigsby!

I may be better off coming straight from the consumer unit with some 16a cable to a 16a socket. Then getting a 16a extension to the van.

I would need a timer so I can put 30 min breaks on through the cycle? Read this on Granville golds thread.

paul alan

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:25:29 pm »

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/calculating-volt-drop-cable-selection-and-mcb-selection-on-an-3kw-motor.28769/

Best to use 3-core, 2.5mm heat resistant cable to be sure.
There is a thread going back a few years on this very subject of safe wiring the 3kw set up.
I can't find it at the moment though.
Mind blowing!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 07:34:18 pm »
Thanks rigsby!

I may be better off coming straight from the consumer unit with some 16a cable to a 16a socket. Then getting a 16a extension to the van.

I would need a timer so I can put 30 min breaks on through the cycle? Read this on Granville golds thread.

Correct. Timer is really for heating time, no need to circulate as the tank will heat the van and equipment- providing you don't insulate it.👍
Comfortably Numb!

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 07:38:30 pm »
Thanks rigsby!

Correct. Timer is really for heating time, no need to circulate as the tank will heat the van and equipment- providing you don't insulate it.👍
Cheers.

I'm just scouring the net trying to find out what equipment I need from consumer to immersion.

Its going to be a 8-10 meter run max.

what size mcb would I need? I have a spare 40a in the consumer, would that be too much?

paul alan

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 07:39:53 pm »
Was thinking un-insulated through the night then insulate through the day to try and avoid heat loss.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 08:44:51 pm »
My mate's a sparky and he did my electrical work. All I can tell you is that from consumer board the 16 amp rig begins on it's own breaker then into a 24hr timer, through wall to outside 16amp socket. From this socket I run a 16amp extension cable to van where it plugs into a 16amp plug on the end of the immersion cable.
Comfortably Numb!

paul alan

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 08:56:44 pm »
My mate's a sparky and he did my electrical work. All I can tell you is that from consumer board the 16 amp rig begins on it's own breaker then into a 24hr timer, through wall to outside 16amp socket. From this socket I run a 16amp extension cable to van where it plugs into a 16amp plug on the end of the immersion cable.

sounds easy enough.

was wandering about where to locate the timer, never thought of putting it next to the consumer unit.

Thanks peavey!

bobplum

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 09:58:41 pm »

thats what i use, if your wiring is up to date (rcb) etc, you can just plug straight into the socket with the plug

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »

thats what i use, if your wiring is up to date (rcb) etc, you can just plug straight into the socket with the plug
I have spurred the ring main indoors which is rcd protected by the consumer unit, it feeds a 16a cable and an outdoor socket.
Would this be ok to just plug into with the adapter in the picture??
Or would I be better off (safer) starting from scratch at the consumer and going the whole 16a set-up from there?