Tosh

F.A.O. Smudger
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:32:42 pm »
You asked when I was enquiring about high level internal cleaning methods, water mixes and equipment a few months back if I could put up some pics of the work.  Here's a couple. What you see in this lot is some of the balustrades we've been asked to clean. We're working this part of the job with one pole and two people. I'm doing the poling work and Tracy is changing the mops, cloths etc and applying the various cleaning mixes we're using as we go. We've found each panel needs 3 or 4 different applications of different solutions. Usually it's an initial  clean with a mop using 50/50 pure with vinegar, followed by a rub down with an under pad,  followed by a buff with a paragon microfibre and spray of commercial cleaning fluid on the fibre followed by another buff with exactly the same gear just less commercial cleaning fluid.

*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Smudger

Re: F.A.O. Smudger
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:32 pm »
Hi matt,

Excuse the late reply, ciu seems to have neglected to notify me of new threads 🙄

Nice job you've picked up btw ;D

I have to say your really up against it - new job, most likely not been cleaned in years glass and a heatwave which makes life with pads extremely difficault.

We've done some high stuff and had to give up from 10 am as the glass has been so hot the pads have dried out instantly

I do have some alternate pads that have worked better if you email me at darran@oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:40:07 pm »
Just a thought have you tried a short pole and clean standing on Tracy's side and leaning over ?
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Tosh

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:14:21 pm »
That is how we've had to do a good proportion of them. Theres at least 300 on the job and a reasonable percentage of them, possibly half can be done trad off a ladder, which is the quickest way considering how bad they are; not having been done for a year or more.

Saying that I'd say 75-100 we've done over the balustrade as you've suggested and the others from the ground with a pole, but the weather isn't helping. It's a case of practise and practise some more to get up to speed and competent. One thing that's made it a struggle is that the head on the end of the pole, which ever one we've been using won't lock in position, this would make things a lot easier as the brackets holding the glass in place restrict the effectiveness of what we do.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'