Tosh

High level internal cleaning - Stingray/Dragonfly?
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:50:16 pm »
So, Ive been asked to put in a price for a large office complex with lots of internal balconies. The outside elevation of glass on the balconies hasn't been cleaned throughly for about a year, they're not too dirty but the facilities management want them sorted. What is the best internal cleaning piece of kit on the market? The overriding criteria on the job is quality of finish. I want to be able to clean these things and have a quality job. Cleaning them twice is not an issue if that is what it entails.

The two pieces of kit Im aware of are the Stingray and the Dragonfly, though I haven't used either. Are there any others that might be recommended.

As you can see access is an issue, I'm not sure if there is anything practicable to enable access inside as most of the glass is above stairways. The windows in the second picture  also require cleaning but present additional access issues.

*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

SeanK

Re: High level internal cleaning - Stingray/Dragonfly?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:29 pm »
They are both just pad systems that spray a mist of water onto part of the glass, just enough to dampen the pad slightly, you then polish off using the pad, quality wise they will do an ok job as long as you have enough pads and don't get them too wet.
Now whatever you do don't waste your money on either as they are nothing more than a useless gimmick.
To get the exact same results you will need the Vikan Easyshine pad holder and a Gardiner pole adaptor to attach it to your Gardiner pole, instead of spraying the glass you just spray the pad before raising it up to the glass.
Being able to spray the mist straight onto the glass doesn't save you any time as you still need to extend and lower the pole to
change the pad.
The thing is it will cost you a fortune in pads to do that job so it might be worth getting in contact with Tadgh. I think he has
a pad holder that uses microfiber cloths.

Tosh

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:12 am »
Cheers Sean.

Any idea what these pads cost from Tadgh?
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

simonr

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:19:00 am »
There's 2 sizes 32 cm and 42 cm I think.  they're around 6 euro  the cloths are cheaper but you'd need a few, pads will fit into most extension poles,   cloths work very well and you only need tap water with them, I've used pure once but didn't notice any difference

SeanK

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:16:05 am »
The Dragonfly, Vikan Easyshine pads cost around £7 each but Sureclean in N Ireland do a cheaper version around £3 plus vat,
they are not just as good as the Vikan pads so I would use them to remove the majority of the dirt and finish off with the Vikan pad.

8weekly

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 02:24:45 pm »
There has been someone raving about the cleaning solution on one of these new systems. Clever Forum Name? Ah, no it's that Richard Hyde on Lee Burbidge's clique group. Obviously I'm just jealous I'm not in the gang.

8weekly

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 02:26:37 pm »
Actually it's not Richard Hyd. It's Lee's chum that he did the reality tv thing with.

Richard Clues.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »
Matt, I wouldn't waste your money on either of them systems I have the cleano which I picked up second hand - they are all heavy and don't really clean that well with one pad, you always need to put on a second esp. First cleans Tadgh can supply the frames ( just like vikan ones for less cost ) the pads are worth getting either vikan or unger ( in fact they do several types including a long pile pad that's great for very dirty stuff.

We also use the waffle cloths or fishscale microfibres on the frame and get a great finish even 5 floors up. Just attach it to your slx or extreme or sl pole for lightness

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

simonr

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 08:28:58 pm »
smudger do you mean you can fit tadgh's frames to your slx somehow ?

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »
Yes.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 08:37:59 pm »

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:42:41 pm »
Matt, I wouldn't waste your money on either of them systems I have the cleano which I picked up second hand - they are all heavy and don't really clean that well with one pad, you always need to put on a second esp. First cleans Tadgh can supply the frames ( just like vikan ones for less cost ) the pads are worth getting either vikan or unger ( in fact they do several types including a long pile pad that's great for very dirty stuff.

We also use the waffle cloths or fishscale microfibres on the frame and get a great finish even 5 floors up. Just attach it to your slx or extreme or sl pole for lightness

Darran

Have you got his number Darren?

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 08:44:15 pm »

Okay, so thats cool, whats going with a job of this nature? How many times do you need to go over it and with what and also in what order. Thanks. Spell it out like you are for a child as I want to do this job pucker  ;D

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 08:53:13 pm »
Whats the difference between waffle cloth and a microfibre?

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 09:01:30 pm »
No I haven't, but either search a few threads or he will pop on soon I'm sure.

First time clean with mop and very slight soapy water then buff over with an unger pad phw20 then final clean with unger pad phl20 dampened with ODDBODS special internal cleaning solution ( 50% pure 40% white vinegar and 10% commercial glass cleaner ) comes up 100%

As you can see in the photo we could check these from the other side, so I can vouch for the results.

The picture is year 3 we have cleaned these ( once per year ) and they only need the phl20 pad and solution to bring them up now

Don't underestimate the amount of sticky 'gunk' on internal Windows that are high up, due to aircon systems and general human 'residues'

Darran

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 09:03:49 pm »
It's the weave - a 'terry' weave is pretty crappy on glass - ok to detail outsides but the waffle weave or fishscale weave cleans glass loads better, no smears,  no streaks

Darran

Tosh

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 09:06:00 pm »
So would you recommend a waffle cloth for the buffing element of an internal clean?

EDIT: no worries, you just use them on the frames.

Tosh

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »
Actually having read all that Darren, it has helped loads. Thanks a bunch! I owe you, if the job comes in theres beer tokens on their way to you ;0)

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 10:03:39 pm »
Thx Matt - if you get you job I hope it goes well for you.

Some pics of you in action will suffice

Darran

simonr

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03:10 pm »
smudger how do you fit tadgh's frame to your pole,  i cant find fittings anywhere , do you have a link please

slackbladder this is tadgh's email if you want it     info@jskcleaning.ie

Smudger

Smudger

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »
All the internal pad systems ( other than unger who use a screw thread ) have the same diameter so this fits tadgh's frames

simonr

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 12:59:47 pm »
magic thanks a lot

Tosh

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 01:22:00 pm »
Thanks Simon.

Spruce

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 01:45:47 pm »

Hi Darren

That's one of those Unger units isn't it.

What cleaning fluid do you use and what process do you go through to clean those windows. Whilst any imperfections won't be seen from the main lower seating area, they certainly will be seen by anyone in the rooms overlooking that seating area. 

Do you use an initial pad to clean, then swop it for another to polish it off and if so, how effective is it?

We have the same green cleaning pads but the thinner microfiber pad don't work well polishing off.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 02:01:36 pm »
Would using damp melamine pads be better on mucky internal glass Tadgh?

Smudger

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 02:23:20 pm »

Spruce - unger pad - vikan frame 😜

Below is the process we use for internal cleaning

Darran

First time clean with mop and very slight soapy water then buff over with an unger pad phw20 then final clean with unger pad phl20 dampened with ODDBODS special internal cleaning solution ( 50% pure 40% white vinegar and 10% commercial glass cleaner ) comes up 100%

As you can see in the photo we could check these from the other side, so I can vouch for the results.

The picture is year 3 we have cleaned these ( once per year ) and they only need the phl20 pad and solution to bring them up now

Don't underestimate the amount of sticky 'gunk' on internal Windows that are high up, due to aircon systems and general human 'residues'

Darran

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 02:43:00 pm »

Spruce - unger pad - vikan frame 😜

Below is the process we use for internal cleaning

Darran

Darran

Thank you. For some unknown reason I missed the last few posts on page 1. I'm confused how that happened. ???
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smudger

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 04:27:00 pm »
I'm just confused most of the time now  ;D

Darran

simonr

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 06:36:20 pm »
Would using damp melamine pads be better on mucky internal glass Tadgh?
yes he told me they they're better,  they get sellotape off  easily & the blue waffle cloths are better than the green