toronto

What would you pay? Diesel hot water heaters
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:55:37 am »
I have  a diesel powered water heater that I have produced  and have been running now for months.
And am considering producing more.
The heater units themselves are a reconditioned webasto water heater so are a quality item with thermostatic water temperature control my heater has been a blessing.
Unlike the gas heaters I have used before it is very cheap to run, always works and is safe!
The running cost is approx £2 per day using white diesel or £1.20 using red!
Any thoughts would be welcomed

Smurf

Re: What would you pay? Diesel hot water heaters
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:22:27 pm »
Got any pic please?

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:59:28 pm »
You would be best getting some legal advice on this one, your going to be manufacturing or refurbishing a product to sell on to the public which could leave you liable for anything that might go wrong.
If your just selling on a heater then the manufacturer of the heater will be liable for this but again it wouldn't do any harm to
cover your back with a bit of legal advice.
As for what you could get money wise, well for all the benefits hot users like to brag about they don't seem to be willing to spend a lot of cash for the privilege (going by this forum) so I honestly don't know if its a winner money wise, maybe the fact its not a gas system might get some to part with a few quid more.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »
To be honest not a lot price wise for a recondition one as if you are diy minded you could buy a webasto 9.1 kw complete kit brand new quite cheap.

Webasto Thermo Pro 90 12V Marine Kit (4111135B) SPECIAL OFFER
http://www.webastomarine.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=37730&cat=17

Then all you need to get is the following:
WEBASTO & EBERSPACHER TMV thermostatically controlled hot water heat exchanger
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEBASTO-EBERSPACHER-TMV-Thermostatically-controlled-hot-water-heat-exchanger-/181480196765

Also you could buy a seperate fuel tank if you don't want to tap into the van fuel line and then just whack it in a fabricated box to look neat & tidy if you wanted.  The wabasto exhaust is fitted on the underside of the van so whever you mount it in the back of a van you  will have to also drill a hole in the van floor.

Then you should end up having something that looks like this at a fraction of the cost as this one costs about £3140
http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/water-fed-poles/isothermal-diesel-water-heaters/pure-freedom-isothermal-diesel-water-heater-9kw-2-operator-unit.html

Best you don't run it off red either as they say it  cocks it up.  ;D

Obviously you could diy a 5kw heater cheaper if you wanted.

toronto

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »
Smurf if you read the webasto website frequently asked questions section you will find that these heaters actually prefer red diesel ( as you would expect when designed for marine applications)
And as for the price I was thinking a few hundred as opposed to a few thousand!
Mine is a rough and ready prototype not reconditioned and not polished but has replaced my gas heater at the same price I would expect to pay for a gas heater!
The recommended service intervals for these heaters is 3000hrs so should last for many years especially as there is so little to go wrong with them.

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:55:17 pm »
I'll be interested in knowing more Toronto. . What price are you thinking?
You can't polish a turd

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 08:02:55 pm »
Smurf if you read the webasto website frequently asked questions section you will find that these heaters actually prefer red diesel ( as you would expect when designed for marine applications)
Mine is a rough and ready prototype not reconditioned and not polished but has replaced my gas heater at the same price I would expect to pay for a gas heater!
The recommended service intervals for these heaters is 3000hrs so should last for many years especially as there is so little to go wrong with them.

Not according to Webasto.  They say their units will run on red diesel, but blame the quality of the diesel for coking up issues.

They are playing the' sitting on the fence' game. The marine market is huge but their units run best on road diesel.

Here is an example
http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13974
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:14:54 pm »
There is a window cleaning business near us. He has a Ford transit H/R LWB and has fitted a hot box as the heater. The exhaust is out of the roof. He uses red diesel, bought from the boating yard pump in Redcar.

The roof of his van is black with soot, despite the cowl being about a foot higher above the roof.

It this soot that Webasto blame for their carbon coking issues.

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
There is a window cleaning business near us. He has a Ford transit H/R LWB and has fitted a hot box as the heater. The exhaust is out of the roof. He uses red diesel, bought from the boating yard pump in Redcar.

The roof of his van is black with soot, despite the cowl being about a foot higher above the roof.

It this soot that Webasto blame for their carbon coking issues.

Pressure washer hot box for window cleaning ???
That's interest to know but just wondering how has he got it set up to do that Spruce?
Must cost him a packet to run too as they are not exactly very fuel efficient.

toronto

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 10:18:04 pm »
I believe there is a stand alone unit from one of the big window cleaning suppliers that's called the hot box

toronto

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 10:20:21 pm »

Not according to Webasto.  They say their units will run on red diesel, but blame the quality of the diesel for coking up issues.

They are playing the' sitting on the fence' game. The marine market is huge but their units run best on road diesel.

Here is an example
http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13974

It seems the disgruntled canal boat owner has a different story to a uk webasto main dealer though so I guess time will tell! Well actually it probably won't because it's easier to just fill up at the petrol station :-)
http://www.webastomarine.co.uk/shop/custom.asp?cpid=custom32

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 10:36:12 pm »
I believe there is a stand alone unit from one of the big window cleaning suppliers that's called the hot box

Oh silly me as forgot it happens to be the name ionics use for their add-on heaters

toronto

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »
Have you ever been to an ionics roadshow?

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 11:31:04 pm »
No why?

toronto

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 12:09:04 am »
It's funny when he is telling you how stiff and light and value for money the poles are then the salesman's face drops when you open up your van and start grabbing gardiners poles to compare!

Jonny 87

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 07:58:25 am »
It's funny when he is telling you how stiff and light and value for money the poles are then the salesman's face drops when you open up your van and start grabbing gardiners poles to compare!

;D

It's a little known fact that ionics poles are over priced and wear out quickly.

They tend to be bought by guys who have plenty cash and don't do their research.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 08:04:15 am »
I have  a diesel powered water heater that I have produced  and have been running now for months.
And am considering producing more.
The heater units themselves are a reconditioned webasto water heater so are a quality item with thermostatic water temperature control my heater has been a blessing.
Unlike the gas heaters I have used before it is very cheap to run, always works and is safe!
The running cost is approx £2 per day using white diesel or £1.20 using red!
Any thoughts would be welcomed

If I thought diesel heaters were reliable I would make the jump. But I've not heard of anyone with a diesel system go 12 months without something needing repaired or replaced.

For me, immersion or LPG is simpler.

Different if I employed staff to go out on their own in the van mind you.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 08:05:02 am »

Ionics poles hmmm... ;D

So toronto going back to your diesel fired heater what are you thinking of actually selling spec wise and at what price did you have in mind?

Again have you got any pics of your set up please so we could look at. Ta very much

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 09:56:43 am »

Ionics poles hmmm... ;D

So toronto going back to your diesel fired heater what are you thinking of actually selling spec wise and at what price did you have in mind?

Again have you got any pics of your set up please so we could look at. Ta very much

My fault for getting us side tracked.

I'm also interested.

Thanks

Rich Wilts

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »
£1,000 fitted - tops.