proclene

risk assessment for builders clean
« on: May 25, 2007, 12:29:08 pm »
Hi there,

Doing my first builders clean soon and have been asked for Health & Safety information in the form of risk assessments and method statements, can anybody tell me what this means? how i should go about writing this? what do i have to include?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Money isn't eveything, It's the only thing

shelton

Re: risk assessment for builders clean
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 01:23:12 pm »
Google it?

;D

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:28:02 pm »
go to the hse website you will find everything you need and a template for laying out your risk assessment ;D

Timmy Boy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:43:39 pm »
Hi proclean
don't get me wrong, but not knowing what risk assessments are is somewhat concerning particularly when you are about to embark on build cleaning. Risk assessments along with COSHH and method statements are the building blocks of any company in this industry these days, long gone are the days where you can turn up with your bottle of white spirit, mop & hoover. I suggest your first port of call would be to contact a company who can help you such as peninsula of the BSC. I am amazed that you have won a build clean without these documents being in place, I am tendering for a build clean contract at the moment which will go back 100+ pages thick!
Regards
Tim

pro-clean

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:07:48 pm »
Hi proclean
don't get me wrong,
Regards
Tim
Just not 2 get people confused on here but i'm pro-clean and the poster is proclene good luck with ur risk assestment  :)
Cleaning ..it for a living

proclene

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:20 pm »
Hi there,
I am aware of health and safety policy, risk assessments, cosshh, riddor etc, what i was meaning is how do the contractors like this information presented to them and how long should the risk assessment and method statement be. I am aware that a one or 2  page document for each is quite sufficient but just wondering how you other cleaners work whether you do a short straight to the point assessment or a long drawn out one. Surely contractors dont have time to sit and read 100 pages.?

Just to answer the question, I explained to the contractor that this was my first builders clean and they were very co-operative and have helped me through all the stages of getting the contract. All i have to do now is present them with a risk assessment and Method statement/safe system of work documents.

Tha same as alot of cleaners out their im just embarking on a move into builders cleaning and just looking for the best way to go about things to lessen my chance of failure, so any positive help is most appreciated.
Money isn't eveything, It's the only thing

martin19842

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:32:25 pm »
hi there

risk assessments for build cleaners are,

Slips, trips and falls
Manual handling
Contact with chemicals
Working adjacent to live electricity

and

Use of portable electrical tools
Use of ladders, trestles and tower scaffoldsTraffic management
traffic management

these should placate your client

regards

martin

philgoff

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 06:08:09 pm »
For my Risk Assessments (Carpet Cleaning, Flooring Fitting, Pressure Washing) my general form has these Identified Hazards (I use one form for all)

Potential for fall
Trapped by something collapsing or overturning
Struck by moving vehicle
Contact with electricity or an electrical discharge
Struck by plant/material (Incl. flying or falling)
Working at height
Exposure to or contact with harmfull substance
Exposure to excessive heat
Injuries whilst handling, lifting or carrying (manual handling)
Slip, trip or fall
Drowning or asphyxiation
Exposure to an explosion
Noise & Vibration
Environmental, waste disposal
Deep excavations
Lifting operations
Working in confined spaces
Exposure to third party
Other hazards considered:

These are the ones I use, this is not to say they are correct for you. You may feel that there are others or some that you will never need to assess. Its just the form I use, which works for me.

I then give them a Severity rating and a Probability rating to give a final Risk Assessment which is either delt with on the Risk Assessment form or for the more serious risks, in my Method Statement.

Hope its been of some help,
Phil
If life was easy, it would be boring

Robert Parry

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 02:32:03 am »
Gonna get slated for this one again i suppose, R/A etc have to cover ALL RISKS, not just the ones you think will placate your client!

Regards,

Rob
A world of difference....

martin19842

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 08:45:01 pm »
hi there

the risk assessments that i have listed are all the ones that we have used for major housebuilder clients, and have all been approved and checked by a number of health and safety advisers.

regards

martin