Tadgh O Shea

Oven Cleaning
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:26:28 pm »
Hi Guys

Has anyone come across a good gel oven cleaner thats non caustic, non corrosive & will break down carbon build up.

Or am I asking the impossible, i have been searching for such a product for nearly 4 years now, Ive tried loads but no success with regard to the carbon removal

Any help would be much appreciated

daniel osmore

Re: Oven Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »
If you don't want to use a caustic or heavy duty product, you can maybe try some biological washing powder. I would try to remove as much grease and carbon deposits initially with a metal scourer and sharp scraper (perhaps using an abrasive cream or paste). The racks can be soaked in a tray with hot water and biological washing powder and a concentrated solution can be sprayed into the oven or applied as a paste. After a sufficient dwell time (maybe 30mins) most remaining residues should be removable using a metal sourer and rinse solution.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:59:59 pm »
Thank you for the reply but couldnt go through all those motions
if i can find a safe to use gel it would be much easier.

SteveAllan

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »
Why would you want such a thing, why make life difficult for yourself. The only quick way to clean an oven well is with a caustic based product.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »
Because caustic based oven cleaners damage surfaces and the environment, but we will keep on looking anyway no harm in that is there.

SteveAllan

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:40:16 pm »
Caustic does not damage the surface of an oven.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:10:32 pm »
Hi Steve

I cant agree with you on that one, the reason we are looking for a non-caustic based oven cleaner is because we have come across hundreds of ovens where the interior surfaces have been destroyed from caustic based oven cleaners.

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:58:11 pm »
Reading between the lines that are for sale its one that maybe missing. Once you have a viable product you could then just snide it and sell it as own brand. Being cynical I doubt some have as much experience in actually cleaning ovens as they would like to infer. All this green enviromental tree dodging carp amazes me when they still sell it in plastic containers rather than a returnable one  :o

Start Afresh Cleaning Ltd

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »
Hi we use a gel product called chemiclean a really good product leave on for a little while the rinse.

Steve Keen

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:03:21 am »
Dry blade then astonish paste and wire wool.......far quicker than any gel and good for your health as well.

In next to no time you'll have forearms like popeye!  ;D

jim mca

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »
Steve

Try the paste from dirtbusters alot better than astonish

jim mca

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »
Has anybody used the oven and fryer cleaner from northern enviro and how does it rate

Jim

TN Cleaning Services Ltd

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
Clover Vanquish is more effective.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 11:58:08 pm »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replys, i will try out some of the safer ones.

Regards

Tadgh

AlexanderPT

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 07:19:17 pm »
gotta say i agree with steve,,,,we clean ovens every day of the week and nothing works better than cheap copper scourers we source from the local pound shop at 8 for a quid !

Steve Keen

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49:11 am »
If your cleaning ovens for a full time living like I do, there really is only one option and that is dry blade and scourer.  I would say I can clean at least 2 ovens in this way in the time it would take for a gel like vanquish to do a half decent job.   Even after leaving a gel for a prolonged period you nearly always need to finish the worst bits off with wire wool to get a perfect finish.

There are guy's out there dabbling with oven cleaning and I get to see some of their work when the customers call me to clean the oven properly so you go run the risk or spoiling your reputation if you don't do it properly.

A lot of my local domestoc cleaning companies contract me in to do their customers ovens as it is the best way foir them.

If anyone thinks that oven cleaning is an easy 'bolt on' to an existing business I wish you all the very best as to earn a living at it is down to really hard work and only after doing loads do you build up a system and then the speed to make it pay.

PS. No I haven't tried the Dirtbusters paste as I have heard that it's possibly a little too course for domestic ovens and you can risk scratching the enamel,  but I'd be interested in your opinion of it.

Barbara Green

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:12:08 pm »
Caustic products will save you time and efforts, unless you have any other concerns for these products...
Professional property maintenance London company offers all aspects of household repairs and installations.

TN Cleaning Services Ltd

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »
Blade & scourer is ok for domestic oven cleaning,
You couldnt deep clean commercial kitchen ovens this way.
You need some proper chemical.
A steamer also helps.

Tim 

Steve Keen

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 08:10:19 am »
Hi Tim

I completely agree with you, when I do commercial work I always use Vanquish gel by clover, mainly because many commercial appliances have stainless interiors and this doesn't allow me to scrape as I usually would.

I assumed the thread was about domestic ovens but take you point completely regarding commercial.

Steve

Ainsworthbibey Cleaners

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 06:14:48 pm »
hi there i have recently cleaned an empty flat that needed the oven cleaned badly i started using the astonish paste but was taking too long so i used mr muscle kitchen spray left it on till it dissolved then repaeted again then i wiped it of i used a steamer as well to get the little bits of  hope that helps .

paula from ainsworthbibey cleaners