Re: Master Franchising for window Cleaners
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 09:39:10 pm »
All i'm saying is that a franchisee might not go for" Mr Sols hot slosh system" if it's not a recognised brand name - franchises are an awful lot of money for very little in some cases. If you want to go into franchising then good luck it's obviously worked out well for Ian and if you have an excess of work and plenty of backing then i'm sure you will suceed.

bluez

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 11:18:41 pm »
There are many bad franchises, but also many good ones don't tar them all with the same brush.  How often have you heard the stereotype about the cowboy window cleaner, are all window cleaners cowboys?

No they are not and all franchises arn't bad either.
hi

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 07:07:54 pm »
Yet again DJW i don't think you have 'clicked' what we are talking about.

From the the threads that talk about employing it's clear that it's not all plain sailing. Staff and adminstration are a nightmare and can be overwhelming. There is the Vat threshold, and there is a period of growth where untill you emerge the other side you actually earn less than you did working on your own. Many have done it, gone back, and say never again.

Franchising is a different approach to this same problem, and the template we are talking about  is that of Jims Mowing. To quote Jim it is very important that the franchisee is succesfull, and for this reason not everyone is suitable. To quote Jim again the most cost effective way of mowing(cleaning windows) is by a lone operater who his commited to what he is doing.

By keeping things small scale (not national) and carefull selection of those likely to succeed there is no reason at all why this could not work.

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 07:25:25 pm »
Yet again DJW i don't think you have 'clicked' what we are talking about.

From the the threads that talk about employing it's clear that it's not all plain sailing. Staff and adminstration are a nightmare and can be overwhelming. There is the Vat threshold, and there is a period of growth where untill you emerge the other side you actually earn less than you did working on your own. Many have done it, gone back, and say never again.

Franchising is a different approach to this same problem, and the template we are talking about  is that of Jims Mowing. To quote Jim it is very important that the franchisee is succesfull, and for this reason not everyone is suitable. To quote Jim again the most cost effective way of mowing(cleaning windows) is by a lone operater who his commited to what he is doing.

By keeping things small scale (not national) and carefull selection of those likely to succeed there is no reason at all why this could not work.
Agree

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 07:30:02 pm »
Yet again you can't answer without an attack on me. Of course I've clicked on what you are wanting to do, you want to provide a franchise in the same way as Ian Lancaster has done. And i said good luck to you i'm not having a pop at you so i will repeat it again GOOD LUCK.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 07:32:01 pm »
Yet again you can't answer without an attack on me. Of course I've clicked on what you are wanting to do, you want to provide a franchise in the same way as Ian Lancaster has done. And i said good luck to you i'm not having a pop at you so i will repeat it again GOOD LUCK.
I am guessing that was not aimed at me

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 07:36:56 pm »
No not you Ian.  ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 08:18:42 pm »
If your business hasnt reached vat level , then that isnt a good business model for potential franchisee's.

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »
If your business hasnt reached vat level , then that isnt a good business model for potential franchisee's.
why ? quite a few people would like to earn way over 50k a year, some business's are spilt to different areas to avoid VAT because to the end user (domestic it cost them extra money) it is cost not needed.

So IMO that point is not valid

Ian

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
As Ian Lancaster says he had work coming out of his ears, so first off you need stacks of work to pass on to your franchisee and still have enough for yourself, you also need a well established and respected name to attract that person too, after all he's coming to you for work with his own kit and will be trading under your name and paying you royalties one way or another.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 08:35:07 pm »
It is a very valid point.
 50k turnover isnt 50k profit

I wouldnt buy into a franchise if it couldnt be shown to turn over way more than vat level, dont forget you have to pay a percentage fee to the franchisor ar well.

If people are trying to avoid vat , then they are saying to themselves , this is it , this is the limit.

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »
no one wants to read or add to a topic that has too much bickering. ;)

Dave we are talking about the idea,kicking it around that's all,not saying one of us is more suitable than the other.

Jim says that most employers( mowing) have large commercial contracts and do not have many domestic customers- evan though domestic customers are vastly more profitable. The reason for this is it is very hard to supervise employees going from house to house mowing lawns. I believe this to be pretty much true in window cleaning.

Therefore the franchise is a superior business model to direct employment.

About your vat point, how many years have you been going? and how many years have you been VAT registered?  My point being that for many years you probably weren't Vat registered, but now that you are you are implying anyone who is not is a failure in some way.

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 08:51:52 pm »
It is a very valid point.
 50k turnover isnt 50k profit

I wouldnt buy into a franchise if it couldnt be shown to turn over way more than vat level, dont forget you have to pay a percentage fee to the franchisor ar well.

If people are trying to avoid vat , then they are saying to themselves , this is it , this is the limit.
Dave you know aswell as me it is more than 50k, and you would not buy a franchise for window cleaning as you are doing ok for your self, as am I, the post is about franchising, and if I did not have a good business and I was thinking of window cleaning earning 50k or more would well interest me, thats more than 2x the national norm.

as mr sol says bickering in a post is not that good so I will not post comments about this anymore as I want this post to stay alive.

I am always option to new options and thoughts from anyone, I only take on board what I feel are right for me, as will anyone.
Ian

Davo

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 09:04:35 pm »
Its an ideal business for franchise, small independent operators, the chance to earn a very good income( the income level in relation to the buy in costs, its never going to earn the money a Mc D's does.
Dont agree that you need a household name, just good branding./ Give the franchisee a chance to earn a very good living, doing it himself, I dont think you want them to go down the employment route themselves, one man operators are ideal.

Hot is a very good selling point too, it makes sense to a prospective franchisee.

Mark

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 09:11:49 pm »
Davo, don't forget the franchisee will have to provide his own van under Ians terms, it is not provided by the franchise operator as in other franchises.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 09:15:52 pm »
I also know someone that does this and all he does is constantly quote and get work,he has about 7 vans and by this i mean 7 independent operaters.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »
Somebody brought vat up before me.

I will bow out now.

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 09:36:50 pm »
Let's do some numbers on seven vans. Assume they earn £850 pw for 46 wks a year. (not unreasonable) this is 39k turnover.
The fact that they may fiddle over and above this and do cons cleans etc without saying is built into the system. Jim says that he didn't want to have the power to look at their books.

So 39 times 7 is 273k. A royalty of 15% on this equals 41k per annum.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 09:39:26 pm »
Has anyone got a copy of jims book they could send me ?

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 09:48:20 pm »
How many properties would seven vans service - three to four thousand?