Slacky

Stuck gutter vac poles.
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:55 am »
I have two stuck gutter vac poles. It’s probably my own fault, I tapped the top of the pole section on the buildings soffit boards without realising the consequences. Anyway, I’ve tried everything I can think of including buying two adjustable oil filter removers, fixing one either side of the join, without success. In fact one of the poles was so tightly gripped it started to crush, but I still cannot separate them.

Any more suggestions please? Hot has been tried but not with the adjustable clamps.

Afterglow Window Cleaners

Re: Stuck gutter vac poles.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:12 am »
I had the same problem a couple of years ago, this is usually caused by water/liquid sealing the two poles together where they connect. I used a heat gun and a lot of persistence to get them apart

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 10:32:47 am »
Iv still got 2 stuck together from months ago , I had 4 guys trying to pull it apart with no luck too - I just stick it in the van as it is now, I give up!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:38:40 am »
Have you tried hot water to raise temp.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Slacky

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »
Have you tried hot water to raise temp.

Yup.

Slacky

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:20:11 pm »
Iv still got 2 stuck together from months ago , I had 4 guys trying to pull it apart with no luck too - I just stick it in the van as it is now, I give up!

This is actually 3 poles. So mines bigger than yours ;)

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 12:21:01 pm »
I had the same problem a couple of years ago, this is usually caused by water/liquid sealing the two poles together where they connect. I used a heat gun and a lot of persistence to get them apart

A hot-air gun will put a lot more heat the a hair-dryer on it, I think that might help. I'll give it a go. Melt the feckers!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 12:31:42 pm »
Are they aluminium or carbon fibre?

If ally can you put one section in a bench vice and use an old chisel against the lip of the section that goes over it and welt it with a lump hammer if that makes sense?
It's a game of three halves!

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 12:50:14 pm »
Carbon Im afraid.

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 01:03:24 pm »
I have never seen these poles but can only assume that one has a straight section and one is stepped if you like ?
If this is the case and all else fails , could you not cut off the straight section end to the point that the overlap ends and then dremmel or cut the ring thats left attatched either inside or around the stepped part.
OK the pole will be a bit shorter , but it wont be 15 foot either ! 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 03:35:04 pm »
Are they aluminium or carbon fibre?

If ally can you put one section in a bench vice and use an old chisel against the lip of the section that goes over it and welt it with a lump hammer if that makes sense?

This will work with carbon poles to but oviously don’t go nuts , do the vice up until the carbon creeks then tap and pull at the same time sometimes spraying with ptfe dry lube helps I have had thi happen a few times and after a lot of struggling got them apart

Slacky

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »
I have never seen these poles but can only assume that one has a straight section and one is stepped if you like ?
If this is the case and all else fails , could you not cut off the straight section end to the point that the overlap ends and then dremmel or cut the ring thats left attatched either inside or around the stepped part.

Im thinking you may have just saved the day there.

Cut an inch below where the overlap is then Dremel cut down the length the 4" or 5"section thats still on the pole. This should enable me to save everything except the 4" or 5" section cut off. Need to check to ensure this'll work.

Good thinking!

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 04:09:03 pm »

Cut an inch below where the overlap, then Dremel cut down the length the 4" or 5"section thats still on the pole. This should enable me to save everything except the 4" or 5" section cut off. Need to check to ensure this'll work.

Good thinking!

Og

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 04:47:23 pm »
Tap them apart with a nylon chisel?

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 06:09:22 pm »

Cut an inch below where the overlap is then Dremel cut down the length the 4" or 5"section thats still on the pole. This should enable me to save everything except the 4" or 5" section cut off. Need to check to ensure this'll work.

Good thinking!

Yes , but just remember that you cant cut the stepped bit off , it has to be the straight section , otherwise you will end up with 5 foot of very expensive downpipe  ;D ;D ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »

Good thinking!

Make sure they arnt a taper fit if you cut it down it might not fit in the end

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 08:30:32 pm »

Make sure they arnt a taper fit if you cut it down it might not fit in the end
[/quote]

Very good shout that man , best check that !!

JandS

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 09:43:05 pm »
I have 2 stuck together...happened before but managed to get them apart before but not this time.
Strapped to roof bars now as won't fit in van.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 09:33:01 am »
How old are they Matt??

over time we've had several ring together - you can do one of 2 things
1. if you have the solid ali bend from the likes of omnivac  you can fit this to the end  of the poles then put the bend around a lamp post or similar then twist in an antilock wise direction the bend will lock against the post and hopefully free up the sections

2. her gun get it warm to hot, then twist ( you must always twist with a slight pull not just pull ) but be warned i section i did finally gave up and split/melted on the taper ( the inside one ) but the other was saved

we now use silicone hose on the ends as 'wipers' they stick out about 1/2 inch from the pole end this protects the end and seems to stop them ringing together

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Tom-01

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:33 pm »
We had this a couple of months ago, heat gun did the trick in about 3 minutes.