Smurf

why?
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »
Why do people have so say gutter guard crap fitted inside guttering beats me  ???
Then some goes and builds a consevatory right underneath so you can't remove them nor clear the guttering out apart from attempting to jet wash the guttering clear.  ::)roll

Rich Wilts

Re: why?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:46:40 pm »
I tie a length of rope to that gutter guard gear and tie the other end to the back of the van, then drive off, at haste. That gets it out.

It usually removes all the leaves, moss and crap. As well as most of the guttering come to think of it.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:15 pm »
Now you can see one of the reasons why it's always best to do gutter cam inspections on ever quote you go to as it only takes mins to do on even the most awkward of jobs when ladders would not be an option.

If you don't take a looksee you will feel a right plonker if you give a price then find out on the day you can't do it at all or you have to take that crap out first and not allowed it into the cost of the job.

Trust me you will only do that once...Been there, done that, never again.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:52 pm »
I tie a length of rope to that gutter guard gear and tie the other end to the back of the van, then drive off, at haste. That gets it out.

It usually removes all the leaves, moss and crap. As well as most of the guttering come to think of it.

Just might work... then again maybe not  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »
Anyhow when the custy said he asked the roofer to put it in I replied best get him back then to take it out whilst repairing all the broken tiles on the roof as you have a lot up there  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 03:21:53 pm »
I think all manufactures/suppliers that sell this type of crap should put a big red warning label on the packaging stating THIS PRODUCT IS NOT MAINTENACE FREE remove periodically for blocked guttering & downspouts to be cleared.

Also maybe an image on the box to show how bad they can get would help people decide if they want to buy this poope or not.

What do you think?  ::)roll

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 09:03:37 pm »
I think all manufactures/suppliers that sell this type of crap should put a big red warning label on the packaging stating THIS PRODUCT IS NOT MAINTENACE FREE remove periodically for blocked guttering & downspouts to be cleared.

Also maybe an image on the box to show how bad they can get would help people decide if they want to buy this poope or not.

Put a label on like that and they wouldn't sell any.  They aren't cigarettes.  ;D

They put them into the gutters so they think they don't have to clean them out.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:13:48 pm »

Put a label on like that and they wouldn't sell any.  They aren't cigarettes.  ;D

Hmmm I'm wondering now what trading standard would say as they obviously don't work  ;D
http://fascias.com/gutter-guard-GG?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=CIa4-t6mysgCFQrhGwodX60Pjg

Description : Gutter Guard 5m pack

Suitable for gutter widths 100mm - 115mm
 Prevents blockage from leaves etc. my arse   ;D
 Resistant to ultra violet rays.
 Manufactured from recycled plastic. (Polypropylene)
 Easy to fit.
 Clips together, no screw required
 Gutter Guard is 500mm long and 100mm wide (5M pack quantity).

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:20 pm »
Maybe they should stick this pic on the box instead  ;D

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:07:24 pm »

Hmmm I'm wondering now what trading standard would say as they obviously don't work  ;D
http://fascias.com/gutter-guard-GG?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=CIa4-t6mysgCFQrhGwodX60Pjg

Description : Gutter Guard 5m pack

Suitable for gutter widths 100mm - 115mm
 Prevents blockage from leaves etc. my arse   ;D
 Resistant to ultra violet rays.
 Manufactured from recycled plastic. (Polypropylene)
 Easy to fit.
 Clips together, no screw required
 Gutter Guard is 500mm long and 100mm wide (5M pack quantity).

Looks to me like the gutter guard does what it says. Your pics above are showing a build of of sediment and moss causing the blockage ? All the Floplast gutter guards have good reviews on diy.com or screwfix.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:44 pm »
They don't work as the larger crap stays on the gutter guard and breaks down and falls through the grid that eventually turns into one solid mass of blocked guttering with seeds geminating in them as well.

This pic may give you a better idea of the sods taken out with gutter guards fitted as you can clearly see the sod matted to one bit of gutter guard. If they do work I would have not needed to remove this bag of crap from just one length of guttering fitted with gutter guard now would I.  All the row of houses (6 in all in the row) asked me to clean out their guttering and not put the gutter guard back... I wonder why  ::)roll

I can tell you now this product like others supposedly to stop guttering and downspouts getting blocked is defiantly not maintenance free whatever people are all lead to believe and yes they where fitted correctly but not by me  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 10:04:03 pm »
Best check back on screwfix to see if any Q’s & A’s appears in the next few days as you're allowed to upload pics  ;D 

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 12:22:27 am »
Best check back on screwfix to see if any Q’s & A’s appears in the next few days as you're allowed to upload pics  ;D

Well that is suprising as the approved my question and did not delet the two pics I posted on the Q&A page press + sign to see pic  ::)roll

Now I wonder if they will give an answer  ;D

CleanClear

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 12:28:11 am »

Well that is suprising as the approved my question and did not delet the two pics I posted on the Q&A page press + sign to see pic  ::)roll

Show them your first three pics of leaves sitting ontop of it !!  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 12:34:53 am »

No point really but just waiting for them to approve my review as well  which is a corker as will make all the others feedback look a wee bit stupid ;D

CleanClear

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 12:39:31 am »

No point really but just waiting for them to approve my review as well  which is a corker ;D

I'm impressed by the way you got on to it. Could be a BBC watchdog interview coming up.....A device designed to stop leaves accumulating in a gutter lets moss and other small particles through it to accumulate in the gutter. Infact anything smaller than the gutter guard hole, it will let through. Genious the way you detected that.

CleanClear

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 12:40:48 am »
as will make all the others feedback look a wee bit stupid ;D

Gotta be quick to keep up with your edits..................Anyway, don't hold your breath.  ;D

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 12:45:01 am »

No point really but just waiting for them to approve my review as well  which is a corker as will make all the others feedback look a wee bit stupid ;D
  Thats the power of marketing.

Smurf

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 01:08:56 am »

Indeed but honest reviews either good or bad about products should be seen to help consumers make a choice one way or the other. You will have no dowt seen the positive reviews I have left with other purchases on their site too so honest reviews can swing both ways. What I don’t like is manufactures and suppliers misleading consumers by failing to provide an accurate description on the performance of a product no matter what it happens to be. ;)

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 01:28:14 am »

Indeed but honest reviews either good or bad about products should be seen to help consumers make a choice one way or the other. You will have no dowt seen the positive reviews I have left with other purchases on their site too so honest reviews can swing both ways. What I don’t like is manufactures and suppliers misleading consumers by failing to provide an accurate description on the performance of a product no matter what it happens to be. ;)
Generally if you read the reviews by  people who have purchased the product, then you can make an informed decision if the product is right for you or not,

Smurf

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:36 pm »
Well they answered my question and also allowed my review but it's on the last page

Take a look and tell me what you think

CleanClear

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 06:57:28 pm »
Well they answered my question and also allowed my review but it's on the last page

You're still missing the point. They are sold and advertised as stopping leaves accumulating in your gutter, which they do. They cannot and do not stop other smaller debris accumulating in your gutter. I live in a terraced street, i only ever get moss roll down into mine. I wouldn't fit a gutter guard it would be no use to me. I clean other properties where they are underneath trees and i would fit a gutter guard.

Smurf

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 07:06:39 pm »

You're still missing the point. They are sold and advertised as stopping leaves accumulating in your gutter, which they do. They cannot and do not stop other smaller debris accumulating in your gutter. I live in a terraced street, i only ever get moss roll down into mine. I wouldn't fit a gutter guard it would be no use to me. I clean other properties where they are underneath trees and i would fit a gutter guard.

No they are being miss sold as a mantenace free product which they are clearly not.
Even the reply I got back confirms this if you care to read it.

All the other reviews apart from one are on about fitting etc after purchase which don't mean jack really if the gutter guard actually works or not so I thought I would like to mention they are not mantenace free far from it ;D

CleanClear

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 07:14:38 pm »

No they are being miss sold as a mantenace free product which they are clearly not.

All the other reviews apart from one are on about fitting etc after purchase which don't mean jack really if the gutter guard actually works or not ;D

Ok, you're right. I'm wrong. A device designed to keep leaves out lets moss in. Who'd a thought!!!

CleanClear

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 07:16:51 pm »
Give a review on this too whilst you're registered on there.................
http://www.screwfix.com/p/gulley-grid-black-150-x-150mm/16499

Tell them i said its crap. Its lets sand and soil in, my waste pipe got blocked up.

Smurf

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 07:37:31 pm »

All the other reviews apart from one are on about fitting etc after purchase which don't mean jack really if the gutter guard actually works or not ;D

Ok, you're right. I'm wrong. A device designed to keep leaves out lets moss in. Who'd a thought!!!

Well you can clearly see from the pics I've posted they eventually gets clogged not just on top but crap  mulches down and blocks the guttering & downspouts too.

It's just a pity consumers are mislead in thinking gutter guards don't cause problems when at some point they will either have to get up a ladder to sort it out themselves or pay someone extra to take it out to clear the guttering properly. Either way it's not a matenance free product is it now don't you think?

Smurf

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 07:55:05 pm »
Give a review on this too whilst you're registered on there.................
http://www.screwfix.com/p/gulley-grid-black-150-x-150mm/16499

Tell them i said its crap. Its lets sand and soil in, my waste pipe got blocked up.

I know your taking the p now but if you have done alot of gutter clearing & downpipe unblocking funny enough yes those can cause  issues too. ;D

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 09:06:24 pm »

Well you can clearly see from the pics I've posted they eventually gets clogged not just on top but crap  mulches down and blocks the guttering & downspouts too.

It's just a pity consumers are mislead in thinking gutter guards don't cause problems when at some point they will either have to get up a ladder to sort it out themselves or pay someone extra to take it out to clear the guttering properly. Either way it's not a matenance free product is it now don't you think?
  That's the power of marketing.

Smurf

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 10:12:36 pm »
Yep it seems that way tadgh

Smurf

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:15 am »
It seems my review is starting to get noticed as two already have found it helpful which is nice. 
Just a pity the manufactures just don't admit that it's not a maintenance free product as long term this will do them more harm than good not being honest with consumers. Mind you the product is cheap to purchase anyway so they are probably not bothered what ppl think of it if the truth be known.