Kate2

Re: deaf applicant
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »
I suppose  dumb/mute  in English terminology as words bear no relevance to each other.  Just shows how iffy language can be, and strewn together as a saying

Dumb is one word
Mute is another

Two completely different words with two completely different meanings.

How they got tied up into one saying, I dont know.

andyM

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 04:19:24 pm »
It will be good if you can let us know if anything comes of this Bobby.
Personally if it were me I would arrange to meet the guy and see how it goes.
Lets not forget this guy may have a hearing problem but he is flesh and blood like the rest of us and it sounds like his morals are in the right place because there are plenty of able bodied people out there who are too bloody lazy to even apply for a job! 
One of the Plebs

bobby p

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
UPDATE  ---- turns out there was 2 of em !  both totally deaf . when i finally met them we communicated by pencil and paper ,luckily their  writing was decent . Both impressed me by their appearance, werent shaved heads and just 2 very ordinary lads .

i couldnt decide which one to choose ,.so took them both on part time.   this will allow me to see if either are clumsy .  its early days but both seem happy enough

steve rix

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »
Darren who works for me isn't deaf HE JUST WONT LISTEN TO WHAT HE'S TOLD!!

bobby p

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 06:40:08 pm »
it didnt work out in the end . one left for another job and the other started arriving late /or not at all . wouldnt reply to my text messages until at least 11pm .  (i had to text as i couldnt talk with him on the phone).   basically he didnt really want to do it and i read all sorts of text excuses such as oversleeping to having something else he wanted to do instead

so im back on the hunt for a helper !      by the way ,being deaf was no drawback as a cleaner .

Johnny B

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Good on you for trying.

I had a lad with me, but we recently parted company because he wanted to do other things, and always seemed to have something or other wrong with him as well.

I have now cut my work down so there is enough for me to cope with alone.

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

VSP Home Care

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2011, 07:49:13 pm »
Where are you based Bobby? And what do you pay daily, I have a few sites that I might be able to post a wanted ad on.  Not window cleaning sites though but its always worth a go, reliability seems to be so lacking these days.

bobby p

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
the one thing i learned is that i definitely like having a helper along with me. i did the ladderwork while my  helper did the low . the low includes door bits so in effect i got the best option doing the ups and we were Zapping through the work WHEN he was with me. trouble was on the days he didnt show i was faced with a mountain of work 

i was paying him £8 per hour +his bus fare .  im near Ipswich .

somewhere on this forum i once read of a scheme where you can take on a lad and its subsidized by the govt for a few months. im thinking i could ring up the local job centre and find out if such exists

VSP Home Care

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:55 pm »
Before I post on the other forum can you forward me your details, e-mail etc and I'll be able to pass it on if anyone replies.

Cheers.

bobby p

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 08:47:49 pm »
cheers VSP  ,    my email is    bobphillpop@gmail.com     .   in your opinion,do you think i was paying too much? my aim was to try to get loyalty.  but in hindsight i now think i came over as an easy-touch ,        for sure i got a few angry messages from the lad today. after i went round his and collected his work cap  ,belt etc

VSP Home Care

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2011, 08:53:09 pm »
I would say his disability is not associated with his hearing  ;)  Can't be arsed, un enthusiastic by the sound of it.  A sad reflection of todays youf  ;D

I'll post the ad and see what happens.  £8 ph hour is way more than the Dole mate and there's a lot of people that would work for way less.

When I was 18 I was earning £60 for a 6 day week..... and I had to get up at 2am and walk 37 miles to get there  ;D

£8 Bloody luxury I tell's ya

VSP Home Care

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »
Are you sure you've typed your e-mail address correctly?

Johnny B

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:11 pm »
I got into window cleaning in February 1997 by learning from and helping a friend with his round. I walked 3 miles to his house, did an 8 hour day for 3 days per week (all he could offer me), then walked home again, all for £3 per hour, in all weathers.

No big deal, I wanted and need to work and just did it. Never looked back when I went it alone though!

I may sound old school, but it seems to me that many today want everything to fall into their lap for nowt in return!

John.

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

bobby p

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 09:43:55 pm »
sorry i typed it wrongly VSP         Its   bobphillpot@gmail.com

Frankybadboy

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2011, 07:05:45 am »
bobby

i was always told that you would probaly go though about 10 people before you find the right one. ;)

bobby p

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:19 am »
bobby

i was always told that you would probaly go though about 10 people before you find the right one. ;)
   have you got a decent one now then FRANKY?  did it really take ten before you got lucky ?

bad trippy

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2011, 09:16:44 am »
I know of a deaf window cleaner, his name is Frank,every time i ring him he cant hear his phone!
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Paul Coleman

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2011, 09:23:20 am »
the one thing i learned is that i definitely like having a helper along with me. i did the ladderwork while my  helper did the low . the low includes door bits so in effect i got the best option doing the ups and we were Zapping through the work WHEN he was with me. trouble was on the days he didnt show i was faced with a mountain of work 

i was paying him £8 per hour +his bus fare .  im near Ipswich .

somewhere on this forum i once read of a scheme where you can take on a lad and its subsidized by the govt for a few months. im thinking i could ring up the local job centre and find out if such exists

Maybe if you had paid him a bit less it would have encouraged him to work the full amount of hours that you required.  Unfortunately, taking time off probably didn't hurt him in the pocket too much because by the time tax and NI are taken into account, he loses a lot less than would first appear.  Also, it is possible (though by no means certain) that he was getting something from the government for his hearing problem and maybe didn't need extra money as much as he first thought.