Hopes and Ambitions 2011
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »
I need inspiring. Only the fittest, cleverest and most nimble are going to survive next year.It's the bleakest outlook for eighty years and this slump is going to take some busting.So how do we do it? What have you got up your sleeve?

There's price, volume and quality, and of course if you've got a special trick that makes you unique, then that too.It's simple enough on the face of it, but what are you going to do to knock 2011 out of the ground?

Neil Gornall

Re: Hopes and Ambitions 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:15:17 pm »
I need inspiring. Only the fittest, cleverest and most nimble are going to survive next year.It's the bleakest outlook for eighty years and this slump is going to take some busting.So how do we do it? What have you gotup ypur sleeve?

There's price, volume and quality, and of course if you've got a special trick that makes you unique, then that too.It's simple enough on the face of it, but what are you going to do to knock 2011 out of the ground?
But if I tell you (and hundreds of others) it wont be special or unique anymore. some things are best kept under ones hat  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:31 pm »
Stop panicking slumpy!

90% of us will still be working at the end of 2011. You've got a 9/10 chance of still working.

Maybe we won't grow our rounds as quick, maybe we wont increase our prices - and yes, maybe we might lose a few custies.

But I bet that if you go to work in the same way then you'll make similar money as you did last year.

Chin up!
It's a game of three halves!

Danny Guest

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:30:32 pm »
Im looking to smash to targets thats been set for canvassing and already on the way with 1 new customer today while working for 2011...

Im just eating dinner then im out canvassing. The best thing to do is to stop worrying or complaining about the economy and accept the situation.

All the best for 2011!

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »
well said danny. things are going to be tight this year, we will lose customers, we will get new ones. best not to moan about it and just get on and replace lost work

Ian101

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:42 pm »
I need inspiring. Only the fittest, cleverest and most nimble are going to survive next year.It's the bleakest outlook for eighty years and this slump is going to take some busting.So how do we do it? What have you got up your sleeve?

Tenacity .... work hard and smart ... and worry about my own little world ... thats about it ... like the saying goes "it aint rocket science" ... sometimes u can get too caught up in the mass hysteria of recession headlines .... dont get me wrong it is tough out there but no empty car parking spaces in my local massive retail shopping parks over the Christmas period so people are still spending ... oh and lots of new houses going up in my area so perhaps not as bad as the headlines are making out.

My special trick ???? aint got one ... dont need one just have the right attitude I think which is positive and prepared to put the effort in

JoeMax

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »
Im just eating dinner then im out canvassing. The best thing to do is to stop worrying or complaining about the economy and accept the situation.

Canvassing in the dark on Bank Holiday Monday?!!?!

windiewasher

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:07:13 pm »
Just undercut you can get loads of custys that way  :D
Another way  to get custys if u are wfp is send leaflets around that say health and safety have banned ladders
Easy.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

TomCrowther

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 06:09:46 pm »
Mine is to grow the number of domestic customers steadily and get more from each customer. In other businesses, they are always looking to "maximise the income from each account" so in our world, that means selling more services to each customer. I am offering wc, guttering services, power washing of decking, patios, outside furniture and drain clearing. The power washing is fairly new to me but have done a few and got a couple more to do. Guttering is going OK and yet to do any clearing of drains.
Get some leaflets printed and let all your customers know what you can do for them. I think they would rather deal with someone they already know and trust than a stanger. The additional work can be done on the wet days or weekends if you are pushed for time.
Partner up with another local window cleaner and share the cost of new machinery and then share the work?

Danny Guest

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:10:26 pm »
Everyone is in  ;D

This year will test a lot of businesses but those that knuckle down and ride it out will the stronger and maybe wiser.

I like to set high goals and challenge myself in meeting those targets. People rarely test themselves and when bad times come like this thats when they get tested.

Im not saying im in a better position then anyone else but im looking forward to this year and growing my business to a new level.

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

Danny Guest

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:35 pm »
Everyone is in  ;D

This year will test a lot of businesses but those that knuckle down and ride it out will the stronger and maybe wiser. Always keep positive and never dwell on a problem or a negative thought.

I like to set high goals and challenge myself in meeting those targets. People rarely test themselves and when bad times come like this thats when they get tested.

Im not saying im in a better position then anyone else but im looking forward to this year and growing my business to a new level.

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

woody1

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 07:09:08 pm »
Just undercut you can get loads of custys that way  :D
Another way  to get custys if u are wfp is send leaflets around that say health and safety have banned ladders
Easy.

yeah great idea until a mob off windys break your legs for putting them out of buissness and with broken legs they will have the work your be jobless  ;D

Lee Pryor

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:58 pm »
i am looking to franchise my business in 2011 for which I am almost ready. In addition to that I have my secret project x to launch online in april helping us as well as other window cleaners in surrey and sussex gain new customers in a way thats totally new to the industry.
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Neil Gornall

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »
i am looking to franchise my business in 2011 for which I am almost ready. In addition to that I have my secret project x to launch online in april helping us as well as other window cleaners in surrey and sussex gain new customers in a way thats totally new to the industry.
Lee, If it works as well as you hope I think you should try Lincolnshire next  ;D

freshwaterwindows

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:46:15 pm »
your worried about a slump theres a lot worse than that to come havent you been watching the news floods in australia poss the worst the floods in pakistan the fires the earthquakes volcanic eruptions this worlds had it.Just keep on cleaning windows and providing whilst you can were heading for a world wide collapse monetary and ecological.theres only one answer.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 07:51:32 pm »
Lee, If it works as well as you hope I think you should try Lincolnshire next  ;D

I am hoping to take it to a national level, this year is just a pilot, I have an investor ready with the money to go national if I can produce decent figures on a local scale.

woody1

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
lee you said your ambition was to give me all you buissness as you like so much, i am so hurt now

;D ;D ;D ;D

chopsie

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
My ambition is to make it until the end of January, its not looking promising at the moment, If the weather comes that is predicted I think I will be finished, I am really feeling the pinch now  :'(
chopsie

Danny Guest

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 09:26:07 pm »
Ive just been canvassing and got 8 customers.

3 to start next 2 weeks and 5 to do tomorrow. I normally only get 3-4 a night but i found a street that had a whole family living in it.

Things are only as bad as you let them get. Maybe its just a motivation problem with the recent weather thats getting people down. You will probably feel better when you get a week or twos cleaning done

Good luck anyway especially slump

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

Danny Guest

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »
I like that slogan Dai has on his profile

"You havent failed until youve quit"
Guest Cleaning Services

windiewasher

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:03 pm »
i was taking the wee wee
i don't buy doom and gloom but what i will tell you is im going to make my wife and daughter very proud of me!
This year im going to work my backside off building one of a few very good businesses!
i never read or take anything in the papers say.
 If you want to succeed you do your best to make it happen!
Its your future,now make it!

Just undercut you can get loads of custys that way  :D
Another way  to get custys if u are wfp is send leaflets around that say health and safety have banned ladders
Easy.

yeah great idea until a mob off windys break your legs for putting them out of buissness and with broken legs they will have the work your be jobless  ;D
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

ronnie paton

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 09:39:47 pm »
to get through the next three months............one step at a time at the moment.

Danny Guest

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »
to get through the next three months............one step at a time at the moment.

All the best ronnie, hope you get back on your feet soon

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

mikecam

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 10:50:41 pm »

I am hoping to take it to a national level, this year is just a pilot,

Arn't we all? In the meantime, if you happen to get a load of work in Liverpool for me feel free to give me a shout. Never to proud to admit i obviously couldn't canvass for toffee !!!
 Give me a few tips first though, shirt and tie, southern accent ?!!!!!   ;D

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »

for someone whos 3 years in front of us all  ;D
where theres muck theres money

Leeroy

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:54 pm »

I am all ears tell me more. I am just starting out and from Crawley.

Email me or give me an email to contact you.

Lee Pryor

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:19 am »
my email is info@pryors-uk.com

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 08:05:43 am »
Increase your prices by 20 %

if you are running at 60% profit and turnover £50 k

If you keep all your customers your profits will increase by 33 %

ie you have gone from £30k PROFIT to £40K PROFIT overnight.

There are no additional costs with this price increase.

if you lose customers, which i doubt,  you will be still quids in with more time on your hands, its a bold move, but we are doing it right now, perfect time to do it.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:14 am »
Increase your prices by 20 %

if you are running at 60% profit and turnover £50 k

If you keep all your customers your profits will increase by 33 %

ie you have gone from £30k PROFIT to £40K PROFIT overnight.

There are no additional costs with this price increase.

if you lose customers, which i doubt,  you will be still quids in with more time on your hands, its a bold move, but we are doing it right now, perfect time to do it.

good luck dave i am having a big rise too

i though the same.... if you always worry about losing custies you will never build a business that you want
im more than happy to lose some and spend time replacing with better work!!

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:48 am »
There is time when this forum is a great service to its members and there are times its not. This thread is one of them. Economic down turn is 90% in your mind fanned on by the media which does our country no good. Get out there and work, find new customers, get the money is and stop all this negativity your cannot plan for it, you can only work through it for those feeling down and as if the world is on top of you ,go see the doctor and get some help.
A key to coming through any year is don’t read news papers or watch the T V news and for God sake don’t read treads like this. Only mix with positive people. I lived through South African sanction time and it was a lot worse than we have now, believe me. Negativity is like a rash it will consume you and take over your mind. Then you will really be stuffed.
Many people will not like what I have said but I am not prepared to sugar coat every thing we need to know. Get tuff  and get out there and" MAKE IT HAPPEN." ??? ???

andy1975

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 10:39:29 am »
ive got a nice little sideline of dog breeding.had a litter last year and now have 2 bulldogs ready again,and 2 chihuahuas later this year and looking to buy more,this will be more fulltime and glass cleaning partime in the next couple of years.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:21 am »
Andy

My unit is next to a chap who does this big time. He doesn't half shift dogs!!!!

He has a massive farm in Thailand, just spent £35000.00 on his front garden and has a few vehicles.

One of the nicest blokes you would want to meet.

Rob ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »
Slumpy, a lot of my customers lean out of the upstairs window when I turn up and shout "Bog Off!.
Do you think they are asking for 'buy one get one free?'
I've never even considered it might be a marketing ploy they are referring too  ???

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »

for someone whos 3 years in front of us all  ;D

And has a secret strategy that gains him as many customers as he likes! ??? ;D

Ian101

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 05:03:56 pm »
There is time when this forum is a great service to its members and there are times its not. This thread is one of them. Economic down turn is 90% in your mind fanned on by the media which does our country no good. Get out there and work, find new customers, get the money is and stop all this negativity your cannot plan for it, you can only work through it for those feeling down and as if the world is on top of you ,go see the doctor and get some help.
A key to coming through any year is don’t read news papers or watch the T V news and for God sake don’t read treads like this. Only mix with positive people. I lived through South African sanction time and it was a lot worse than we have now, believe me. Negativity is like a rash it will consume you and take over your mind. Then you will really be stuffed.
Many people will not like what I have said but I am not prepared to sugar coat every thing we need to know. Get tuff  and get out there and" MAKE IT HAPPEN." ??? ???

thats about it in a nutshell ... well said that man !  ;)

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »
Thanks Ian it the first time sime one has agreed with me on this forum.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:58 pm »
Saying the down turn is a media invention couldn't be further from the truth.The word slump is more feared than the f word, and it is studiously avoided.The closest anyone comes is to say they wish to avoid a double dip recession.

You may remember when things were a bit better, there was a twin or even multi track economy.This meant that we had a housing boom for instance and low interest rates, but some things like employment in the north of england weren't so good; manufacturing was in decline, but the service industry was taking up the slack.Lots of other things factor in such as an ageing population.

It's all very well putting up taxes but if no one works, or spends, revenues fall, and benefit payouts mount.

Are you saying that ireland, greece, spain, and us are not in a fix? It's just slumpy starting a thread on a wc'ing forum and making it all up?

Try getting a mortgage wizkid, even better, try getting a job if you think there isn't a problem.If not, then you could do worse than listen to some of the people on here who recognise the true situation and plan on doing something about it.

Dave Willis

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 08:18:24 pm »
All well and good but what can you do about it? Not much really apart from targeting cash rich retired types or be a busy fool with a large round and low prices It only needs the interest rate to shoot right up it will wipe out all your younger customers anyway.
I did wonder this morning what would actually happen if the media were to shut up about it. Maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

On a different note, one of my custys runs a heating/plumbing business and was totally knackered over the Christmas period with call outs, he said one company was charging £170 per call out.
So the answer might be - get a job where the customer is desperate to have you instead of a luxury service.

G Griffin

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 08:24:52 pm »
World peace.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 08:31:17 pm »
Dave i had a couple of pms with matt about this.He referered to me as being a bit like marmite, i haven't a clue what he meant but i don't think he meant it in a good way.

I had to rebuild my system today, and went to work this afternoon for the first time in five weeks.I feel a bit better now having made a start but my round and business is in a right mess.This was due to bad weather, i'm not imagining the bad weather am i, it's not something the media have made up is it?

Dave Willis

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »
I did a short day today, I reckon I've got something like 150 outstanding jobs that I have no hope in pulling back. The only good thing is i just pick an area I fancy working for the day and lump them all together. Gives me a great compact round.
I have some jobs three months behind now, nothing I can do about it  :'(

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »
ditto.

mikecam

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »

I had to rebuild my system today, and went to work this afternoon for the first time in five weeks.I feel a bit better now having made a start but my round and business is in a right mess.This was due to bad weather, i'm not imagining the bad weather am i, it's not something the media have made up is it?

I'm similar. I worked for one week throughout all December. Put my DI cannisters back in the van today, washed my own windows and the neighbours, then cleaned my van with the system. I ring my custies first, which i have done earlier this evening, all is sound !! Only casualty so far apart from my wallet is i lost my RO booster pump to the frost. Looking forward to my first day back tomorrow.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »
Dave i had a couple of pms with matt about this.He referered to me as being a bit like marmite, i haven't a clue what he meant but i don't think he meant it in a good way.

Same here Slumps. Worked 4 days out of 5/6 weeks. BUT my A4 diary is all neat & tidy. Did my worksheets with MS word at the weekend, took about 15 mins all in. Everything back in order now. ;)

geefree

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2011, 10:30:17 pm »
Just going to set realistic targets,.. not high , or out of reach targets,

Work to the best of my ability, do a first class job ,  and take it from there.

Danny Guest

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:55 pm »
Ive just got in from canvassing and got another 5 customers.

5 from tonight...8 from last night and 2 from working today.

To me people are not shy at spending any money. Last week i also got a £250 painting job for a customers living room and the £450 for facia, soffit and gutter painting for march.

The work is out there so get out canvassing

Best of luck
Danny
Guest Cleaning Services

JoeMax

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »
Danny,

Are you canvassing in the dark?

Do you have any tips?

Danny Guest

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »
Joe

I just canvass 6-8 doesnt matter what the weather or light conditions. I dont like the slow response from leaflets and i cant canvass in the day because most of my customers work so that would be pointless and im working. Otherwise i havent got any choice to reach potential customers

Theres nothing to what i do i just enjoy knocking doors and keep at it as many days a week as i can. i normally do 3 days a week and will be out again tomorrow 6-8.

Danny
Guest Cleaning Services