Stoots

When you are a full 1 man band
« on: November 14, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
Just wondering what others approach is...

Im not talking about those who wish to employ or grow here, im talking about a sole operator who wants to stay that way...

So its been my target the last 6 months to work 3 days a week and make these days as easy and as profitable as possible. I have got rid of anything that needs more than a 25ft pole, dropped a lot of houses that are under priced or awkward or that i dont like doing. Ive sold off a bit of out of the way stuff. The round isnt perfect but i can now do 300 - 350 a day on my best days, i still have some work to sort and have a bit thats not good enough to hit those numbers.

Anyway, i just wondered for those that are solo, do you just keep ticking away on the same work year in year out with maybe the odd increase or do you actively advertise at  higher prices and start replacing the bottom with cream ?

Just wondering what the best approach is for building  cream 1 man round  ;D Ive never been as happy with work than i have since i started on the 3 day a week idea, its stopped my aches and pains and made me on the whole want to attack each  day and spank off work which is quite unusal for me. Theres still the odd week where i have slacked and worked 4 days but on the whole have managed to stick to my target.

zesty

Re: When you are a full 1 man band
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 06:00:45 pm »
For me it’s just a case of quoting high, if You get it, it’s another ‘cream’ job.

Obviously if you need work, than that’s not viable.

I’m at the stage where I just pick and choose quotes, and go in higher than average.

That said, one day, I know I need to branch out. I don’t want to be on the glass at 55-60 years old.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 07:03:32 pm »
I don’t know what area you work and what prices you are getting but give yourself an example in you’re head of what you get for particular jobs that you think that’s great money for what they are and the time they take,I would then look across at all the work you do and try to get it all the same ie easy jobs for the best money you can get for them.
So many I talk to keep on the small stuff and their excuse is well I’ve done them for years she’s a nice old girl and she always pays me cash and gives me a tea etc,they are doing thereselves out of ££ per month-year working like this I look at it like if you have 10 jobs that are 50 quid each what’s stopping you getting another 100 of em it’s constant wheat and chaffing and it won’t be had door knocking overnight or by lead generation it takes years so that every job more or less is cream.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 08:35:52 pm »
I would just continue what you’re doing. The most important thing you’ve probably done is realise that for what we charge we can’t be spending too long on each property soaking the windows with endless amounts of water. I remember you used to be OCD about cleaning windows? The fact that you now have the confidence to splash and dash and you still manage to clean to a good standard will have increased your hourly rate no end and also cut down your working hours. Now it’s just a case of tweaking the round here and there and trying to replace any lost work with better paid work.

High-Tower

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 09:06:52 am »
I would continue working to compact the rounds. Advertising where I have existing work, until I only needed to move the van a couple of times a day.
It all helps reduce down-time, and increases the hourly rate without needing to increase prices.

Slacky

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 11:32:08 am »
without needing to increase prices.

There's something in that simple statement that doesn't sit comfortably....

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:52 am »
For me its about presentation. Although I don't bother trying to promote my window cleaning website any longer I think the website of other services I offer sells our services before I've turned up to price the work.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 12:09:28 pm »
I think the best thing is to get to a point when if you’re best average price is 25 make them all that minimum,it’s pointless still doing the smaller stuff just because your frightened you may lose work in the future I’ve done this and when you don’t lose any work you end up with a lot of stuff you regret doing and quiet frankly don’t need.
If you don’t wheat and chaff you can’t take on better work because you are full with bitty jobs.

High-Tower

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 01:17:57 pm »

I suppose it all depends on your idea of cream work. My best paying, easiest and most reliable work is very run of the mill, averagely priced housing estate stuff. Pull up clean 4/5/6 in an hour with the 22’ no reeling in or moving the van, no ladders or steps to access awkward windows. They’ve all paid by the end of the day, or the end of the week. If a couple cancel it’s no major effect on your daily takings.

If you keep putting your prices up, you price yourself out of that work, it stops being compact, and stops being as efficient and profitable.

I would prefer 3-4 £15ish jobs to 1 £50-60, assuming your hourly rate is equal. If you lose a £15 job it’s easily replaced there’s thousands being built every year, whereas the £50-60 and up are fewer and further between, they leave a bigger gap in your rounds. And in my experience the £15er’s get what they’re given no fuss no messing around, whereas the £50-60ers seem to always think they’re a special case and want time slots and ‘can you just’ and the cheques in the post, but that might be more of a generational thing as the larger properties are more typically owned by older folk.

I guess I’m saying my cream would be 600 new build 2/3/4 beds with good access all in a row 4hrs a day @ £75 an hour, that’d do.

NWH

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 03:07:51 pm »
Not if you get over and well above what you are almost unable to fit in,no one can tell me that they’d rather be doing 15 quid jobs all day over 50 quid ones.
Watch Kenneth’s new YouTube video he’s been window cleaning for years and he still doesn’t believe it,the reason is he’s been cleaning jobs for 10-15 all day every day because that’s all he knows in the areas he works,if you can only get 10-15 for a 3 bed semi in your area it’s difficult to think you may get double + in another I can see that but some can’t.

richard connett

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 03:45:40 pm »
3 day week sounds ideal ! Nice
I would tweak as you have been as it’s not only just about price. Non skippers, prompt payment and distance also comes into it.  I suppose 1 decent one in , one badly priced job out would be a good idea too

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 05:35:39 pm »

I suppose it all depends on your idea of cream work. My best paying, easiest and most reliable work is very run of the mill, averagely priced housing estate stuff. Pull up clean 4/5/6 in an hour with the 22’ no reeling in or moving the van, no ladders or steps to access awkward windows. They’ve all paid by the end of the day, or the end of the week. If a couple cancel it’s no major effect on your daily takings.

If you keep putting your prices up, you price yourself out of that work, it stops being compact, and stops being as efficient and profitable.

I would prefer 3-4 £15ish jobs to 1 £50-60, assuming your hourly rate is equal. If you lose a £15 job it’s easily replaced there’s thousands being built every year, whereas the £50-60 and up are fewer and further between, they leave a bigger gap in your rounds. And in my experience the £15er’s get what they’re given no fuss no messing around, whereas the £50-60ers seem to always think they’re a special case and want time slots and ‘can you just’ and the cheques in the post, but that might be more of a generational thing as the larger properties are more typically owned by older folk.

I guess I’m saying my cream would be 600 new build 2/3/4 beds with good access all in a row 4hrs a day @ £75 an hour, that’d do.

Thats my favourite work also , £12 semis that take 5 mins a pop is where i make the most money. I hate the bigger houses on my round they are draining.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 06:11:25 pm »
I really don't care anymore.... ;D

Most of my work is in one area,very compact,quite a lot of cream jobs and lots of run of the mill stuff too....

Price rises here and there every few years and charge newer jobs at slightly higher rates...

I don't advertise(apart from sign written van),no website and no Facebook...

Most walk ups and enquiries I don't even take on.....

My usual hours are around 6 hours a day 4 days a week,sometimes less,sometimes a few more....
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 06:17:06 pm »
Sometimes it's not even about the money...if I want to clean one of my elderly customers houses for a cheaper price than some other similar
work  then that's my business,no one else's!
price higher/work harder!

Bungle

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 07:31:45 pm »

Im not talking about those who wish to employ or grow here, im talking about a sole operator who wants to stay that way...

So its been my target the last 6 months to work 3 days a week and make these days as easy and as profitable as possible. I have got rid of anything that needs more than a 25ft pole, dropped a lot of houses that are under priced or awkward or that i dont like doing. Ive sold off a bit of out of the way stuff. The round isnt perfect but i can now do 300 - 350 a day on my best days, i still have some work to sort and have a bit thats not good enough to hit those numbers.

Anyway, i just wondered for those that are solo, do you just keep ticking away on the same work year in year out with maybe the odd increase or do you actively advertise at  higher prices and start replacing the bottom with cream ?

Just wondering what the best approach is for building  cream 1 man round  ;D Ive never been as happy with work than i have since i started on the 3 day a week idea, its stopped my aches and pains and made me on the whole want to attack each  day and spank off work which is quite unusal for me. Theres still the odd week where i have slacked and worked 4 days but on the whole have managed to stick to my target.

You have just taken on a mortgage haven't you? Work 5 days and get it paid off 👍
We look at them, they look through them.

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 03:44:56 pm »

You have just taken on a mortgage haven't you? Work 5 days and get it paid off 👍

Exactly that.
If you work 3 days a week you're not full you just earn enough for what ever your needs/lifestyle are.

I would rather work an extra day at least it could give you another 1k a month disposable income.
Pay that of your mortgage and your interest and repayment time will drop massively or save up and get a buy to let.

window cleaners under under 40 come across lazy these days only wanting to work 3-4 days a week and finish at 1pm.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2021, 03:59:53 pm »
And I’m afraid that’s why when you try to employ  people with the same attitude apply,they see a lot of window cleaners head home at lunchtime and think I’ll have some of that.
Mention 7-30-3-30 or 8-4 they would say no thanks I think I’ll pass who’s gonna pick the kids up from school 🤣🤣

james peters

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 09:30:11 pm »
its all subjective though isnt it.
If a one man band has low outgoings , of course it makes sense to maximise earnings and work 3 days .
so many variables .
is he a one parent father with responsibilities ?
does he have a partner with a good job ?
does he have a mortgage ?
is he mortgage free ?
opinions are opinions , but everyone has different circumstances .
best not to judge  ;D ;D ;D

NWH

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2021, 09:51:00 am »
Everybody judges you need someone with responsibilities or you will be done for,if they have no real reason to get up and get out to work they probably won’t do a lot of the time.
You can’t judge when you interview someone etc Mmm it’s done on a daily basis unless you can read the mind that’s sitting across from you good luck trying to prove they aren’t.

Smudger

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2021, 11:02:46 am »
Why are you yet again waffling on about employees when the whole thread is about being full as a single operator?

stick to the subject in hand

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk