Marc Stock

When you know you lost them before you started.
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:25:55 pm »
Had to chuckle to myself.  ;D

Many of you know I live in a very affluent area; with a lot of wealth being flaunted about. Its not uncommon to see Ferrari's and even more so McLaren's driving about through Knaphill and Woking these days especially as Knaphill is almost directly next to Hook Heath one of the most exclusive areas for housing and country estates outside Guildford.

I am fair with my pricing; and i have built up a good reputation for being fair no matter how big or small the property is. To me it doesn't matter if you have a large country mansion or a 1 bedroom starter home; i don't "add on" a bit to my rate because they are wealthy nor do i offer discounts to those whom are struggling. My rate is my rate and that's it; only thing i'm interested in is 1)Do they want them cleaned? and 2) Are they going to pay?

There is this lane that i have in the Hook Heath area, with many properties i clean. Some are monthly, some are bi-monthly and some are quarterly. I got a new inquiry from a quarterly recommendation yesterday that is a an existing small-ish £50 job.

I show up at the property, and she opens the door "Hi Marc" she goes "you have been very well recommended by many on this road" "why thank "you i said.

I have a look at the property; its minging! Green algae all over the older part of the property; they obviously had a lot of building work done because another 2 thirds of the property has been added on the back with a conservatory (bit old fashioned now in my opinion; but there you go). So i ask her and her husband what sort of frequency would they like?

"well we would like you to do a clean and see how it goes from there!"- Strike 1 for them as far as i'm concerned

Ok I said, "ill give you a price for a one-off clean and then options for monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly cleans" - I can see their faces changing from being a rather positive "we are in control of you, and you are privileged to have us ask you for our custom" to a more detached "Ok he perhaps is going to be not as easy as we expect"

So i price up the 1st clean and it comes to £165 in total.

Then after a quarterly clean option of £60; Bi-Monthly £48; Monthly £38

"to be honest Marc we think that is way too much" Why? I ask? Well we were thinking about £50 for the clean and if we were happy with the job we would call you to arrange another clean? So i said" how long do you think it would take you to do the work yourself?, the penny dropping "well yes i can see its a lot of work" exactly i said. What makes you think that spending hours and hours scrubbing the windows, getting them perfect on the 1st clean for 50 quid is a fair and reasonable price to pay? Embarrassed a bit, they could see my point.

I then stated that i have to make a certain profit per customer; and that i am running a business to make a profit for services exhanged.

They fully understood; but by then I could see that it was a no go from their point of view.

Honestly speaking what were they expecting? Me to turn up in a flat cap; happy to agree to a cup of tea and a few shillings and the privilege of being in their company as payment or what?
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Smudger

Re: When you know you lost them before you started.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:39:15 pm »
Yes - that’s exactly what they hoped  for.

You handled it well, but I don’t go into the I need to make a living/ profit speal - they just don’t give a jot.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:48:14 pm »
Yes - that’s exactly what they hoped  for.

You handled it well, but I don’t go into the I need to make a living/ profit speal - they just don’t give a jot.

Darran

same......i just walk away after setting out my stall.some people really havent got a clue(esp  if they ve never run their own business) or just expect you to work for peanuts....
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 01:00:21 pm »
Same as above, I justify my fair price without going into extra waffle about my profit margins etc.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 01:07:48 pm »
Same as above, I justify my fair price without going into extra waffle about my profit margins etc.

Nathan? Not waffling on?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i dont believe it either marc!....i reckon nathan hands them a 4 page letter(on A4 paper)telling them why he charges the prices he charges.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 02:09:47 pm »
Haha, I did say "extra waffle" as I probably bored them to death with my pre waffle first  ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 02:22:07 pm »
Haha, I did say "extra waffle" as I probably bored them to death with my pre waffle first  ;D

😁😁😁 so asking the expert of waffle....was my waffle under the category of just 'waffle' or was it heading in the direction of 'extra waffle' in your expert opinion?  ;D ;D

Well you did ask, 😂😂 it was extra waffle as you said they got the point but you still carried on and then added about your profit making side ofthe price. So sadly, you exceeded me more so
😂😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

John Mart

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 03:45:13 pm »

Many of you know I live in a very affluent area; with a lot of wealth being flaunted about. Its not uncommon to see Ferrari's and even more so McLaren's driving about through Knaphill and Woking these days especially as Knaphill is almost directly next to Hook Heath one of the most exclusive areas for housing and country estates outside Guildford.

I am fair with my pricing; and i have built up a good reputation for being fair no matter how big or small the property is. To me it doesn't matter if you have a large country mansion or a 1 bedroom starter home; i don't "add on" a bit to my rate because they are wealthy nor do i offer discounts to those whom are struggling. My rate is my rate and that's it; only thing i'm interested in is 1)Do they want them cleaned? and 2) Are they going to pay?

There is this lane that i have in the Hook Heath area, with many properties i clean. Some are monthly, some are bi-monthly and some are quarterly. I got a new inquiry from a quarterly recommendation yesterday that is a an existing small-ish £50 job.

I show up at the property, and she opens the door "Hi Marc" she goes "you have been very well recommended by many on this road" "why thank "you i said.

I have a look at the property; its minging! Green algae all over the older part of the property; they obviously had a lot of building work done because another 2 thirds of the property has been added on the back with a conservatory (bit old fashioned now in my opinion; but there you go). So i ask her and her husband what sort of frequency would they like?

"well we would like you to do a clean and see how it goes from there!"- Strike 1 for them as far as i'm concerned

Ok I said, "ill give you a price for a one-off clean and then options for monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly cleans" - I can see their faces changing from being a rather positive "we are in control of you, and you are privileged to have us ask you for our custom" to a more detached "Ok he perhaps is going to be not as easy as we expect"

"to be honest Marc we think that is way too much" Why? I ask? Well we were thinking about £50 for the clean and if we were happy with the job we would call you to arrange another clean? So i said" how long do you think it would take you to do the work yourself?, the penny dropping "well yes i can see its a lot of work" exactly i said. What makes you think that spending hours and hours scrubbing the windows, getting them perfect on the 1st clean for 50 quid is a fair and reasonable price to pay? Embarrassed a bit, they could see my point.

I then stated that i have to make a certain profit per customer; and that i am running a business to make a profit for services exhanged.

They fully understood; but by then I could see that it was a no go from their point of view.

Honestly speaking what were they expecting? Me to turn up in a flat cap; happy to agree to a cup of tea and a few shillings and the privilege of being in their company as payment or what?
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Someone will turn up and do it for £50.

Don Kee

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 03:49:17 pm »
Do you normally price your first cleans at over 4x the monthly rate (fair play if you do!) or did you price that way knowing they’d be messers..?

lal

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 04:18:23 pm »

Nathan what do you mean you don't go into extra Waffle, it didn't stop you in the past  ;D ;D

Paul Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 04:36:34 pm »
As 8 weekly said they will get in done for £50 I bet  :'(

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 04:38:58 pm »
£165 doea sound a little steep for a monthly £38 quidder.

I think maybe you are shooting yourself in the foot... especially if you are looking for growth, fair enough if you are stacked and don't want any more but if you are looking to grow you have to take a little risk here and there.

I generally don't charge a first clean price, sometimes I can be doing first cleans all day for £100-£150 but im not looking for short term gratification, Im playing the long game.

Sure you get messers and do work for pittance at times but my focus isn't what I can earn right now it's simply one of growth.

But then you won't see many ferrari`s round here!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 04:41:46 pm »

Could you try that on here too......please, pretty please.....Per-Leeeeeeaaaaase? ;D
Comfortably Numb!

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 08:02:05 pm »
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Frankybadboy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 08:06:39 pm »

i dont believe it either marc!....i reckon nathan hands them a 4 page letter(on A4 paper)telling them why he charges the prices he charges.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
He would have video it as well  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 08:53:36 pm »

He would have video it as well  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cheers!!   That's a great idea, I was struggling with what to do for my next vid but a tutorial is a fantastic idea!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 11:08:57 pm »

Thats a load of bollox.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 12:22:16 am »

Thats a load of bollox.
I have the load of bollox's which means your just the🍆.       ;D

Was that too short, or do I need more waffle  ::)roll
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 12:42:04 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D
Someone will turn up and do it for £50.
I'll do it for nowt.
I couldn't get past the 'many of you know I live in a very affluent area' and not despair.
I'll do it gratis, nick the lawnmower (or him and it if it's a sit on), scratch the McLaren and still be home for Bullseye.
The pretentiousness of window cleaners these days, makes me want to go back to thieving.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:34 am »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. On sale training seminars asking that question is a road to nowhere. You have to approach them positively knowing that they want your services on a regular schedule. (They know how you work as they have spoken to others and you've been recommended.)

So the first thing would be to ask to evaluate their cleaning requirements and then set your stall out. Usually people with minging windows are quite happy leaving them that way - they probably want them cleaning for a special occasion or they are putting the property up for sale.

"We will do the first clean for £165 as we will spend a lot of time and effort getting the windows up to a high standard and then you have the choice of a quarterly clean option of £60; Bi-Monthly £48; Monthly £38. So which of those would suit your budget?

"To be honest Marc we think that is way too much".
" Why? I ask?"
" Well we were thinking about £50 for the clean and if we were happy with the job we would call you to arrange another clean?"

"I'm sorry but I don't work that way, I want to service customers who want their windows cleaned on a regular basis."
or
"I'm sorry but I prefer to service customers who want their windows cleaned on a regular basis. As an exception I will clean your windows for £165 this time but if you call me back on an as and when basis the price will be £165."

I'm not sure if I would have included this the way you have" how long do you think it would take you to do the work yourself?, the penny dropping "well yes i can see its a lot of work" exactly i said. What makes you think that spending hours and hours scrubbing the windows, getting them perfect on the 1st clean for 50 quid is a fair and reasonable price to pay?"  Embarrassed a bit, they could see my point.
Making the customer feel embarrassed might make you feel good, but it won't help your cause.

Maybe a simple, "I'm going to be spending hours and hours scrubbing those windows to get them perfectly clean. I'm afraid it isn't worth me doing it for that amount. I'm sorry.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)