nathankaye

when your glad they say no!
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:26:55 pm »
A new housing estate has been erected quite close to one of the estates i work in.
As i was doing a fascia n soffit clean a walk up asked me for a price for cleaning windows. I told her "I have a minimum charge of ten pounds, which includes all windows, frames, sills and doors and that i clean every 4 weeks. In which your windows will virtually stay clean for that length of time as well"

Now im biased obviously but i reckon its a great bargain when you list it like that!

She said she only wants the windows cleaning as she can do all the frames etc herself. Apart from laughing n thinking of a great come back in my head, i simply thanked her for the enquiry and said she would be better asking a traditional window cleaner.

Yep, i was glad of escaping that one!
Anybody else been glad of an escape after the potential customers talks for a little?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Small but perfectley formed

Re: when your glad they say no!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:55:38 pm »
New housing estates full of  ten bob millionaires. Probably wanted to pay £5 max
Spit and polish

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:10:18 pm »
Nightmare are new estates. They soon get sewn up with the fiver brigade.

I leafletted one near me as it was being built and picked up 4. All 3-4 bed detatcheds. I charged 15 quid a go.

Few weeks later I had all of them message me and say someone else has been round charging a tenner and can I match it.  Then last week 1 of them said another lad was knocking doors charging 8 quid.

There's 2500 new homes going up near me over the next couple of years I don't know whether to get involved in them or not.

I find the best customers tend to be older properties, stand alone ones or out of the way or on main roads etc. they are less likely to be canvassed and leafletted to death.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:11:44 pm »
My missus recommended me to go on to a new local estate, hate em usually so I stayed clear
All their money goes on the mortgage and Audi

jonboywalton75

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:13:23 pm »

I leafletted one near me as it was being built and picked up 4. All 3-4 bed detatcheds. I charged 15 quid a go.

Few weeks later I had all of them message me and say someone else has been round charging a tenner and can I match it.  Then last week 1 of them said another lad was knocking doors charging 8 quid.

There's 2500 new homes going up near me over the next couple of years I don't know whether to get involved in them or not.

I find the best customers tend to be older properties, stand alone ones or out of the way or on main roads etc. they are less likely to be canvassed and leafletted to death.

I Don't like customers under 45 years of age ;D

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »
My missus recommended me to go on to a new local estate, hate em usually so I stayed clear

A lot of people seem to have brand new houses with brand new cars these days! People younger than me driving round in brand new beemers and mercs ... I must be missing something  ???

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 03:29:28 pm »

A lot of people seem to have brand new houses with brand new cars these days! People younger than me driving round in brand new beemers and mercs ... I must be missing something  ???

Yep! Their debt.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

tlwcs

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 03:41:37 pm »

Yep! Their debt.

I don't think they own them either, deposit down, monthly payment, return car at the end of the agreement. Madness.

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:15 pm »
The young ones stay at home, pay no board, no bills and buy flash cars and yet somehow still dont know how to drive properly!!
There gonna be in such a shock when they do eventually leave home.......if ever they do
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 07:00:19 pm »
When I was a kid (30 years ago) everyone seemed to have old cars, nowadays everyone seems to have new cars, but that's just because everyone buys them on finance these days.  My girlfriends and mothers cars are nearly new but on hire purchase. 

But it's like anything, some lads have brand new vans for cleaning windows, not for me that. And what worse some have them on rental and won't even own the thing in 5 years time.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 07:05:27 pm »

yep ive had that as well adam.i canvassed a really big new housing estate a few years ago(all 4 and 5 bedders)some with velux and 3 storey windows,large connys etc.i didnt get one customer(i priced them up at £25-£35 on an 8 weekly frequency).they said they were only willing to pay £8-£10.some actually said we have a guy who charges us £8!absolute madness in this day and age. ::)roll
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 07:10:31 pm »
When I was a kid (30 years ago) everyone seemed to have old cars, nowadays everyone seems to have new cars, but that's just because everyone buys them on finance these days.  My girlfriends and mothers cars are nearly new but on hire purchase. 

But it's like anything, some lads have brand new vans for cleaning windows, not for me that. And what worse some have them on rental and won't even own the thing in 5 years time.

like me. ;D

ill just sell it and get another brand new van in 5 years time. ;D

P.S  (i did spend 23 years buying old vans that were at least 9 or 10 years old!)but i love new and just see it as a business expense now.ive also put my prices up to cover the monthly rental. ;)
price higher/work harder!

windowswashed

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:31:40 pm »
Glad they say no, when you realise they only want an end of tenancy clean, or house is up for sale. If I see a for sale sign when quoting I refuse to give them a quote, make my excuses and leave asap :)

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:37:42 am »
Yes can't stand messers.

Fortunately alot give themselves away upfront.

"How much just to clean my upstairs windows I can do the bottom ones myself."

"I want the front done one month and the back done the next month"

"oh you can't do my windows untill next month, ok forget it!"

"only clean my windows if I'm here"

"I can't see how you'll clean the window sill as good as being up the ladder"

"yes I want you monthly but not in winter"

Probably missed some 😖
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »
I know one Lee,

"Don't come back until September, we're on holiday."
It's a game of three halves!

robbo333

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 04:18:58 pm »
I've had loads of crap enquiries over the last 3 weeks, all through my website.
The last one was..."I have to be in when you come or my dog goes mental!
I think i'm gonna go ***king mental!
Got an enquiry today though, fascia, soffit, gutter, connie clean, bungalow in a very posh area. I'll give him a ring in a minute and we'll see what's wrong with that one!
I think I need to lighten up a bit  ???
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

lee_dewing

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 05:30:48 pm »
I know one Lee,

"Don't come back until September, we're on holiday."

;D ;D

lee_dewing

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »
Good luck Robbo.

robbo333

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 06:05:38 pm »
Good luck Robbo.

Cheers Lee, think i'm going to need it.
P.S. my favourite is "my last window cleaner stopped coming"
Sometimes i'm out of there so quick I leave skid marks!!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

KS Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »
Glad they say no, when you realise they only want an end of tenancy clean, or house is up for sale. If I see a for sale sign when quoting I refuse to give them a quote, make my excuses and leave asap :)
If I see a for sale board I price it accordingly as a one off clean, I then keep an eye out for the new owners moving in and pounce.

nathankaye

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 08:05:43 pm »
If I see a for sale board I price it accordingly as a one off clean, I then keep an eye out for the new owners moving in and pounce.

Ditto, so when they move out and i post a card for new owners. There is no miss selling when i say "i cleaned for the previous owners"
 ;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Marc Stock

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 02:54:04 pm »

I hate Audi's, BMW, and to a lesser extent Mercs.  They are now the car of the debt-laden  "common" working  middle-class man. KIA are going that way too, so many 'trendy yummy mummies' are buying them renting them brand new all with their iphone enabled lives and tiny half million pound starter homes that has about as much room as a dolls house, but its OK as its all branded with SMEG and KKaapeishneiser (or some other ridiculous brand name).

I picked up a customer like this once, a 1 bedroom house one window up and down, small baby all in designer gear, brand new Audi's and ralf lauren polo shirts even for the dog..they paid 400k for this house, when i quoted for the windows as £20 min charge they were shocked, but hid it well. I knew that after 2 cleans they would cancell, they did, 10 month later the house was sold and they moved.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 01:33:56 am »
For all you know they may have moved on to a bigger and better house, their cars may have been paid off and they may have been very proud parents who wanted the best for their kid......and dog

lal

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 11:43:37 am »

I hate Audi's, BMW, and to a lesser extent Mercs.  They are now the car of the debt-laden  "common" working  middle-class man. KIA are going that way too, so many 'trendy yummy mummies' are buying them renting them brand new all with their iphone enabled lives and tiny half million pound starter homes that has about as much room as a dolls house, but its OK as its all branded with SMEG and KKaapeishneiser (or some other ridiculous brand name).

I picked up a customer like this once, a 1 bedroom house one window up and down, small baby all in designer gear, brand new Audi's and ralf lauren polo shirts even for the dog..they paid 400k for this house, when i quoted for the windows as £20 min charge they were shocked, but hid it well. I knew that after 2 cleans they would cancell, they did, 10 month later the house was sold and they moved.

Whats wrong with Ralph Lauren shirts ?   ;D ;D

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:33 pm »

No, they just have a better job and earn more money than you. Quite simple.  :D

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 01:25:06 pm »
For all you know they may have moved on to a bigger and better house, their cars may have been paid off and they may have been very proud parents who wanted the best for their kid......and dog

Exactly. Huge amount of jealousy on here.

Marc Stock

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:53 pm »

ahh yes..but there is a difference between earning more money than someone and being wealthier than someone.

You can earn all the money in the world, but if after the end of the month your balance is 0 from all those repayments, you are effectively insolvent.

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:51 am »

ahh yes..but there is a difference between earning more money than someone and being wealthier than someone.

You can earn all the money in the world, but if after the end of the month your balance is 0 from all those repayments, you are effectively insolvent.

And you know they are in that situation how?

Tosh

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 07:48:56 am »

Exactly, according to the green eyed muppets on here whenever a customer has a nice car on the drive they’ve got it on the tick; because although it looks nice it isn’t an exact reflection of their actual financial situation. Theres nothing inaccurate about second guessing.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »

Exactly, according to the green eyed muppets on here whenever a customer has a nice car on the drive they’ve got it on the tick; because although it looks nice it isn’t an exact reflection of their actual financial situation. Theres nothing inaccurate about second guessing.
;D Correct