UK Window Cleaning Forum > Frequently Asked Questions & Useful Resources

been at it for 3 months now

(1/4) > >>

matt:
this is my story  :)

we have just had a baby, and me and my mrs wanted to both work part time, and bring up our little girl  :) (im a carpenter by trade, and i packed my job in, as i was unable to work just 3 days for this firm)

so i work, mon - tue - wed, and my wife works thurs - fri - sat

my mother in laws partner has been doing window cleaning for about 2 years now, at the same time as me finishing work, he broke his arm and leg (not on a ladder, but fell off a kids skate board)

He does domestic work, houses and bungalows

He was earning roughly 100 quid a day, 9ish to 4.30ish (at roughly 9 quid a house)

I have taken over his round (well he is now back doing downstairs while i do the ladder work)

We are currently earning 60 quid a day each, so 120 a day between us (of course he is slow because of his ankle, and im slow because i havent the speed yet which only time gives you)

I have seen posts on here saying about earning 30 quid a hour, and some saying they can do 25 3bed homes between 9 and 3, 25 homes in 6 hours

any advice on how to speed up ?????

we mop the fairy and water on, squegee it off, and then wipe around the window with a scrim cloth (this is how most do it around here

Now from a beginner, i have noticed we spend a fair amount of time wiping around the window frames   :(

I have seen window cleaning solutions online...is this better than fairy liquid ?????

i have also seen the SqueegeeMate....is this any good ??????....will it save me time ?????

any other advice ??????

Majestic:
Hi Mat
Welcome  I think every window cleaner will tell you something different every one has his or her way of doing things , if you have been doing it for 3 months now you will be in a routine , some wc use nothing but fairy others swear by GG4  .When applying your water its like dot to dot get close to the edge but try not to go onto the rubber , every day you will be that little bit faster ,and for earning 72k per year  :-X I use a backflip it does save you time  but  its all down to personal choice 8)

shinnyshinner:
Welcome Matt
This is my Honest opinion of my job, I go out clean the windows of the customers I have a have a chat a cup of tea, biscuits with this job I find that know two people are the same weather an old boy who once signed up to fight for his country too multi million pound business right down to the person down on his luck out of work and where else can you go out and earn 50,60 or up to 120 pound a day sometimes cash in hand too in the same atmosphere as what we are working in we are free,
I do the same as you do my job wipe my sills and my frames to make a good job and keep my customers happy. What is the point in rushing it and spoiling it?
Cheers Alan  

matt:
shinnyshinner, your right, we do a good job, the guy i work with is fussy about that (but i guess its good to have a high standard)

just wish i could put a few quid extra onto the day :D :D ...but dont we all

Squeaky_Clean:
Hi Matt
A great help is having a good pouch set to hold your scrims and most important a bucket on a belt, if you havent got these that will help speed you up no end. I work with my bro inlaw we try for min of £150 per day,  aim for £300, usually  average £200 -£250 per day, but we really have to push ourselves. Also try getting some commercial work in a day now and then, a job worth £100 to £200 for a morning  does wonders for the days income. Hope that helps. Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version