Ian Lancaster

Stigma about being a window cleaner
« on: November 22, 2009, 05:31:35 pm »
Noticed on the 'best job ever' thread that a lot of people have a problem with the 'stigma' of 'only being a window cleaner.'

I went to grammar school, got 7 'O' level GCE's (1961) and 3 'A' levels (1963).  Didn't want to go to university so my first job was as a bus conductor.  Great job :)  earned twice or three times what my old school mates were earning and thoroughly enjoyed the work.

Tried various things over the next few years and then met a bloke who was working for a London window cleaning firm, doing all the schools.  Went with him to 'try it out' and never looked back ;)

Soon got fed up of working for someone else so set up my first round - since then I've been window cleaning for over forty years, started and built umpteen rounds, expanded and employed people, sold businesses and started again and can honestly say I've always enjoyed it.

When ignorant conceited people give me the 'oh, he's only a window cleaner' attitude, I play along with it.  I say something like:

"Well, I think I was lucky, really.  In my day someone without qualifications had a very hard time trying to find a decent job.  I'm very glad I've been fully employed for almost all my life and even if I've had to manage on a lot less than most people earn, I'm still gratefull that I've never had to claim the dole.  I may not be a millionaire but I've had a good life and always managed to pay my way.  Maybe I could have been a (here I mention whatever my victim's job might be) and had all the things that would have brought me, but I'm happy with my lot.  I retire next month and I can look forward to a quiet retirement knowing I've done my bit."

What I DON'T  mention is the fact that my wife and I own a 5 bedroom house which we paid for many years ago, that we have a £35,000 motorhome that we spend most of our weekends in and that when I do retire I will have an income in excess of £40,000 per year as my pension.

Why would I want to spoil their feelings of superiority?

I really am more than happy with my lot!!!

So don't worry about the 'stigma'

If that's what having a stigma means, I'll take it every time ;D ;D ;D

matt

Re: Stigma about being a window cleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 05:38:55 pm »
Noticed on the 'best job ever' thread that a lot of people have a problem with the 'stigma' of 'only being a window cleaner.'

I went to grammar school, got 7 'O' level GCE's (1961) and 3 'A' levels (1963).  Didn't want to go to university so my first job was as a bus conductor.  Great job :)  earned twice or three times what my old school mates were earning and thoroughly enjoyed the work.

Tried various things over the next few years and then met a bloke who was working for a London window cleaning firm, doing all the schools.  Went with him to 'try it out' and never looked back ;)

Soon got fed up of working for someone else so set up my first round - since then I've been window cleaning for over forty years, started and built umpteen rounds, expanded and employed people, sold businesses and started again and can honestly say I've always enjoyed it.

When ignorant conceited people give me the 'oh, he's only a window cleaner' attitude, I play along with it.  I say something like:

"Well, I think I was lucky, really.  In my day someone without qualifications had a very hard time trying to find a decent job.  I'm very glad I've been fully employed for almost all my life and even if I've had to manage on a lot less than most people earn, I'm still gratefull that I've never had to claim the dole.  I may not be a millionaire but I've had a good life and always managed to pay my way.  Maybe I could have been a (here I mention whatever my victim's job might be) and had all the things that would have brought me, but I'm happy with my lot.  I retire next month and I can look forward to a quiet retirement knowing I've done my bit."

What I DON'T  mention is the fact that my wife and I own a 5 bedroom house which we paid for many years ago, that we have a £35,000 motorhome that we spend most of our weekends in and that when I do retire I will have an income in excess of £40,000 per year as my pension.

one issue i would like to raise

your 35 K motorhome still doesnt have any soul ;)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »
Good on you Ian, are you really retiring soon?

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:44:10 pm »
Most folk have no idea what a decent window cleaner can earn; it's still beer money after all; and we're all on the dole and robbing the system by "earning" some spare money "on the side" ::).

The reality is of course very different, but it's our little secret and they don't need to know that. Just let them think that you're ever so grateful for their valued custom ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:48:56 pm »

so not only are you just a window cleaner, you're weekend trailer trash as well  ;D

I am happy for folk to look down on the window cleaner, it means they don't try to work out the lowly window cleaner hr rate, and how much more he's on than them. ;D

cozy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:45 pm »
Nice one Ian, how much a month did you pay into your pension fund? As for stigma, Maybe Squaddies are different to other UK custies. I don't notice it at all if there is one honestly.

For Germans, having a WC is a status symbol,and they are relatively expensive, so I don't think we are looked down on.

Who cares? Count the money and cry all the way to the bank. ;)

ftp

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 06:01:10 pm »
The stigma thing is certainly there for the first year or so. Former work collegues show absolutely no interest in what I'm doing, in fact it's a sure conversation killer. The family I'm sure scoffed behind my back. Funny how things change - sister in law was asking if I would take on her hubby a few weeks ago. Got chatting to another brother in law and suddenly realised I had earnt double his builders income this year so far  :o
People still ask me if I'm in the Print trade and think I'm part time. My accountant is impressed, I'm moving house shortly, have a good float in my business account so things can't be bad.
I have one customer who is semi-retired and lives in a massive house - he's in the cleaning business.
 Some people are so short sited and snobby - I think it's great  ;D

Ian, that pension of yours is amazing  :o

dai

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 06:27:49 pm »
Well done to Ian, those that have read his posts in the past know that Ian set up a sucessfull franchising operation, no doubt that will help with his pension.
The stigma thing has never bothered me, Other peoples thoughts are their own, and they can think whatever they like.

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 06:34:22 pm »

oh dear!!!you should have worked harder at it ???

ONLY JOKING ;D ;D ;D  good on you Ian!   thats enouraging to us all ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 06:36:47 pm »
i think ian means is franchise when he says pension fund cozy.........he is proof that franchising can succed.

cozy

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »
Ah, OK, never thought of that. Is it a big thing in UK?

Craig 72

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 06:44:41 pm »
I have a similar background to you Ian.Went to a grammar school and got all my GCSEs and A levels.Left school and started working with my dad doing building work,20 or so years ago.Dad moved away to Devon so had to come up with a way of earning money so came up with this lark.My family couldn't be happier or more proud that after only 8 months I've got a business that covers all my mortgage and bills etc.I only wish I'd started up years ago.I have never,or never will work for anybody but myself.If I'm honest though,yeah I do get a bit embarrassed telling people what I do.Maybe embarrassed isn't the right word,it's more like you wonder if people think you're underachieving.Let's be honest when the average person thinks of a window cleaner they picture a scruffy bugger who's too lazy to get a 'real job'!I can't say I thought much differently until I started doing it.

wizard

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 06:45:59 pm »
Is there a sigma ? I never new that maybe I am to dum.

matt

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 06:54:47 pm »
nothing wrong in signing on and doing a few hours window cleaning with a damp dirty rag

no stigma in that

ronnie paton

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 06:57:37 pm »
cozy i dont think many make it work but Ian has it to a tee.

I would prefere to employ but if it continues to cause me big head aches then i wil give franchising a go. Its one way of gettng some one commited who will have good time keeping and provide a good service for the customers(cause he has had to invest into the franchise) but with out the hassle or ougoings employing can provide.

You also earn more money if you help and support the franchiser has you usually take a percentage, and he also makes more money if he makes it a success every one is happy :)

cozy

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 07:00:04 pm »
I didn't realise that there was franchising in WCing. Thanks for that, I'll trawl about abit online and see if there is anything like that here.

ronnie paton

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »
This thread is very dishonest. Just because you earn or have more money than somebody else that doesn't make you better than them.Is a premiership striker more valueable as a person than a heart surgeon?

There is a stigma to being a window cleaner, deserved or not, and to be fair before youn pat yourself on the back too much a grammar school boy with seven o's and three A's could have done better.From the things you have posted on here there are things to admire in the arc of your life, particularly coming back into the game and doing it so well.

I like people people who come back.Look at the hammering Steve Jobs got a few years ago, he was laughted at and hounded out of his own company by fellow directors, but my word what a comeback.

geefree

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 07:21:02 pm »
whos Steve jobs  ;D

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:24:46 pm »
You've started me of now.When i was at school you asked the class what they wanted to be and it would be a footballer, or doctor, or pop star, okay not great aspirations but values have become so distorted now that the most common cherished ambition is to win the lottery.

The best thing you can have in life is a sense of purpose and some values.But if you can't have these i suppose a lot of money will do.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 07:29:25 pm »
Jobs started a company and was hugely succesfull and charismatic, but his life fell apart.His wife left him and the american media turned on him and showed pics of him drunk etc.The biz theory was that founders of companys couldn't run them very well when they matured.The upshot was that he got the sack.
But if this first part of his life was fairly eventfull you could never in your wildest dreams guess what he did next.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 07:31:59 pm »
I didnt even take my o levels, i played truant for the last 2 years of school.

clean

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »
I never take any notice of what people think of me being a window cleaner as i am not a jealous person so it does`nt bother me if someone has more money or better things than me,i am what i am and proud of it  ;)

matt

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 07:33:50 pm »
This thread is very dishonest. Just because you earn or have more money than somebody else that doesn't make you better than them.Is a premiership striker more valueable as a person than a heart surgeon?

quick, someone e.mail clive, i think his account has been hacked

matt

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »
You've started me of now.When i was at school you asked the class what they wanted to be and it would be a footballer, or doctor, or pop star, okay not great aspirations but values have become so distorted now that the most common cherished ambition is to win the lottery.

The best thing you can have in life is a sense of purpose and some values.But if you can't have these i suppose a lot of money will do.

its 100 % now, his account has been hacked

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »
i have got a 4 bed and a porsche

no pension though

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »
Nice one Ian, how much a month did you pay into your pension fund?

Like Ronnie says, my pension is the royalties I get from my organisation.  I did pay into a pension fund, £100 a month for so many years I've forgotten when I started it.  When I retire (on 16th December, Matt ;)) it will pay me about £30 a week. >:( >:( >:(

Pensions are a con, put your money under the mattress, or in Government Bonds, at least with them you get your money back!!

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »
I couldn't care less if someone I don't know looks down on me for being a window cleaner. The people that matter in my life, my family and friends are realy supportive of what I'm doing(well at least to my face).
Once my rounds built and I'm earning a decent living, who cares what others think

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »
Ian

surely you will still have to be involved in some capacity to keep the franchise ticking over ?

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:30 pm »
I was going to say if you were as thick as a brick but still made a success that's something to be proud of, so by that yard stick Dave's done pretty well.

On the market where i sometimes work one of the guys went to private school.He's taken over his dad's flower stall.He mentioned the private education (again) one day, and another stallholder said" And look haven't you done well for yourself!"

Very witty Matt, i suppose i am a bit envious of Ian and Dave.You too strangely not just being good at ludo but for your compact round.I always thought jammy so and so just walked into that, but the other day when you explained a few things it came about because you helped someone out.It is very unlikely that i would have helped them in that way, so on the basis of what comes around goes around i think you deserve the good fortune that you've had.

I also remember your saying about your friends dad being a bit cutting and not placing any value on your being married and happy and having kids etc.We all judge each other, and mostly we are all wrong.

weetot

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »
Nice one Ian, how much a month did you pay into your pension fund?

Like Ronnie says, my pension is the royalties I get from my organisation.  I did pay into a pension fund, £100 a month for so many years I've forgotten when I started it.  When I retire (on 16th December, Matt ;)) it will pay me about £30 a week. >:( >:( >:(

Pensions are a con, put your money under the mattress, or in Government Bonds, at least with them you get your money back!!

Agreed, i'm in the same boat, paid for years,will get about £25.00 per week plus state pension, if there is a one in 20 years! :'(
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

matt

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:36 pm »
I was going to say if you were as thick as a brick but still made a success that's something to be proud of, so by that yard stick Dave's done pretty well.

On the market where i sometimes work one of the guys went to private school.He's taken over his dad's flower stall.He mentioned the private education (again) one day, and another stallholder said" And look haven't you done well for yourself!"

Very witty Matt, i suppose i am a bit envious of Ian and Dave.You too strangely not just being good at ludo but for your compact round.I always thought jammy so and so just walked into that, but the other day when you explained a few things it came about because you helped someone out.It is very unlikely that i would have helped them in that way, so on the basis of what comes around goes around i think you deserve the good fortune that you've had.

long before earls list, i thought the idea of karma sounded not bad  ;) seriously though, i have allways helped others out, i enjoy the satisfaction of it, it makes me feel good, does CIU have a equivalent to a Nobel award  ;D

I also remember your saying about your friends dad being a bit cutting and not placing any value on your being married and happy and having kids etc.We all judge each other, and mostly we are all wrong.

in hindsight he didnt place emphasis on that as his son is the same age as me and doesnt have any of it, cough cough gay cough  ;D

;D ;D

Sean Dyer

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 08:53:22 pm »
Ah, OK, never thought of that. Is it a big thing in UK?

beat me too it :)

what a pension when you own a home and a your hols are sorted :)

nice one ian

proof that focus hard work and positivity can succeed!!

You deserve it mate!

Steve_c

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
The stigma thing is certainly there for the first year or so. Former work collegues show absolutely no interest in what I'm doing, in fact it's a sure conversation killer. The family I'm sure scoffed behind my back. Funny how things change - sister in law was asking if I would take on her hubby a few weeks ago. Got chatting to another brother in law and suddenly realised I had earnt double his builders income this year so far  :o
People still ask me if I'm in the Print trade and think I'm part time. My accountant is impressed, I'm moving house shortly, have a good float in my business account so things can't be bad.
I have one customer who is semi-retired and lives in a massive house - he's in the cleaning business.
 Some people are so short sited and snobby - I think it's great  ;D

Ian, that pension of yours is amazing  :o
I Don't think i could ever go back to the printing trade. I love what I'm doing

craig mcneil

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:33 pm »
There's definitely alot of folks in my area who don't necessarily look down on me but think I'm poor, working hard to make ends meet, on the dole, doing it for beer money, got no education, etc. However, that's simply because that's the sort of person they're used to dealing with.

For the record while I'm not loaded I do well enough, have a BA(Hons) degree, a shedload of useless financial qualifications, am a Microsoft Certified Professional and have a few other strings to my bow. I just happen to enjoy being my own boss and window cleaning fits the bill.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 09:48:01 pm »
eh Slump, i never said i was thick.

I can hold my own in any subject, apart from market trading.

oh and Shakespear, dont know much about his books

mark dew

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »
It's more about our worth as a person. How we earn our money is really a side issue.
Steve jobs is that bloke from apple. The creative guy i think?

craig mcneil

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 10:23:09 pm »
Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple. He was co founder, was kicked out in the late 80s, founded a company called NeXT, sold it, co-founded Pixar (who made Toy Story, etc), and then was called back to Apple in the late 90s and presided over the rise and rise of Apple to the size it is now. A creative genius.

peter holley

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 11:02:56 pm »
well...i'm uneducated :( I live in a modest 4 bed detatched...drive a car that I own ...and thats about it really ;D ;D

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 11:11:37 pm »
eh Slump, i never said i was thick.

I can hold my own in any subject, apart from market trading.

oh and Shakespear, dont know much about his books

You forgot to mention accountancy   ;D  .
Sorry.  Don't want to start Tosh off.

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »
To be totally honest, I have no stigma whatsoever about being a window cleaner.  My budgeting is tight (due to mistakes I made earlier in my life rather than anything to do with current income) but I pay my way, what I do is honest and worthwhile, and a large chunk of the time I feel reasonably happy.  There's a lot to be said for being able to look one's fellows in the eye and to be able to look at oneself in the mirror.  No stigma there at all.

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 06:34:18 am »
I heard it a bit more pointed, thrown out of apple by erstwhile friends in the most humiliating way possible, was humoured when he went into an animation company so he could 'play' at movies as so many rich men before him. But Pixar became unexpectedly huge just as disney ran out of ideas, meanwhile the share price of apple eroded as a number of factors and bad desicions unfolded.Jobs leveraged and bought back his company at a bargain basement price, sacked anyone who had anything to do with his own dismissal, and in addition is now a major disney shareholder and boss.

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 07:33:50 am »
i am a secret millionaire....i own several houses all over the world, i own a fleet of sports cars and i can travel 1st class on every flight i take if i wanted to.

but to keep up the pretence of being skint  during the week and at the weekends i drive a 3 year old combi van and live in a humble flat, and buy all my clothes from oxfam.....and all my furniture from brighthouse.....and if i want to go on holiday i travel economy class, i even went as far as to get some bad debt on my credit score just to appear really skint and at the moment i am pretending i am almost homeless by NOT paying my rent this month and saying that i cant afford it ( i laffed when i thought of that one)......i love pretending to everyone that i am skint...its so satisfying to know i can revert back to my true status at anytime.

8)

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 08:06:55 am »
i am a secret millionaire....i own several houses all over the world, i own a fleet of sports cars and i can travel 1st class on every flight i take if i wanted to.

but to keep up the pretence of being skint  during the week and at the weekends i drive a 3 year old combi van and live in a humble flat, and buy all my clothes from oxfam.....and all my furniture from brighthouse.....and if i want to go on holiday i travel economy class, i even went as far as to get some bad debt on my credit score just to appear really skint and at the moment i am pretending i am almost homeless by NOT paying my rent this month and saying that i cant afford it ( i laffed when i thought of that one)......i love pretending to everyone that i am skint...its so satisfying to know i can revert back to my true status at anytime.

8)

........and then you woke up.

Tosh

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 08:09:26 am »
The stigma about being a window cleaner is with some of the public, if you’re a window cleaner, keep your chin up.

Occasionally I let on to earnings with snobs, last one was the wife of a driving instructor, she paid me £15 after I cleaned her windows and complained it only took just 10 minutes and that I earned more than her husband at the rate I charged. I said yes, but “he’s just a driving instructor” and “I’m a window cleaner”, (big smile) cheerio see you next month.

Middle class (snobs), don’t you hate them.

Well done Ian.

I'm not sure if you could class a driving instructor as being a typical middle class occupation; I would say its a working class job.

But the worst snobs I find are the Working Class snobs.  

matt

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 09:16:32 am »
The stigma about being a window cleaner is with some of the public, if you’re a window cleaner, keep your chin up.

Occasionally I let on to earnings with snobs, last one was the wife of a driving instructor, she paid me £15 after I cleaned her windows and complained it only took just 10 minutes and that I earned more than her husband at the rate I charged. I said yes, but “he’s just a driving instructor” and “I’m a window cleaner”, (big smile) cheerio see you next month.

Middle class (snobs), don’t you hate them.

Well done Ian.

I'm not sure if you could class a driving instructor as being a typical middle class occupation; I would say its a working class job.

But the worst snobs I find are the Working Class snobs.  

the idea of driving instructors is a funny one, i think people think they are "middle class jobs" as most are self employed and work the hours they want, thus they have a biz, thus they must be middle class

its all b0llocks if you ask me

stephen s

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:21 am »
well...i'm uneducated :( I live in a modest 4 bed detatched...drive a car that I own ...and thats about it really ;D ;D

you forgot the pricless picture on your wall of a Massey Fergusan Tractor  just next to Dolly the sheep  :D :D

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

AuRavelling79

Re: Stigma about being a window cleaner New
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2009, 10:45:06 am »
Well done to Ian! I wish you a long and happy retirement. I hope you and your family are well and healthy as in my view there is nothing more valuable.

My father had a comfy "middle class" "middle management" * accountant's job. He came from the poorest of backgrounds with his father (shell-shocked, heavy drinking WW1 trenches veteran) unable to afford the rent on a two bed terrace and having to move into a riverside hovel with oil lamps and occasional flooding. He (Dad) came out of the forces, went to night school, qualified as an accountant and retired from his *mc, mm, accountant's job at 62 and was dead at 65 ... ho hum.

My father in law was an indentured printer, left the print and worked on shifts in a chemical factory and retired on disability at 62, got his comfy works pension at 65 and was dead at 66. See a pattern here?

Unlucky things happen but in their cases I believe their incredibly stressful lives (for different reasons) hastened their demise.

So when I was able to sell up my shares from a struggling office equipment business I was restricted by covenant as to what I could do and did a bit of selling and a bit of window cleaning. The rest is history and if a custy asks (usually quizzically rather than snobbily) why I went window cleaning I give them the long or short version of the above story. Basically a stress free "steady" income, with no boss other than myself or my circumstances.

But above all I have been blessed with general good health (so far) for me and my family. It is partly luck but after conscientiously deciding to reduce stress in my working and religious life I have improved immeasurably. (What I don't tell custies is that the shaping of my religious background also had a lot to do with my career path - leapstall will understand - and when I bought into it hook line and sinker with every fibre of my being in my teens and twenties, well looking back that was pretty stressful too!  ;))

Well that was cathartic on a rainy morn, but it's passed over so off to work!  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

the 1 and only

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2009, 01:20:23 pm »
wow how can you get all that from window cleaning.all i got is a room in my dads house and i struggle to pay rent to him.i have a big round at 300 a week hopeing to get 500 if canvassers do work for me i do have a nice car though my focus rs but even that i didnt get through windowcleaning.oh well i dont like people who think they are the big i am anyway.i have had that all my life with bullys about my weight and hair.so what if your good looking,rich have a big house,sexy lovely girlfriend to hold each night,its all good if you dont brag and put down others that dont.im not saying you are doing that just seems pointless you telling the world how great your doing from cleaning windows.

ronnie paton

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2009, 01:28:02 pm »
w c best i think you need to read original post and all the replys has Ian isnt saying he is the big i am.

He has done well and that helps to be some peoples motavation

the 1 and only

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 01:33:18 pm »
i know i dis re read it.im sorry just i hate having nothing and hate people who rub it in.life in general.sorry to the guy whos minted with hes 5 bed house. :-*

Tosh

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2009, 01:33:59 pm »
I reckon the people who're really happy haven't posted in this thread!  ;) :-[

the 1 and only

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 01:37:06 pm »
yea i agree with tosh.why brag anyway.

the 1 and only

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 01:44:34 pm »
loloh yea..im not happy anyway ronnie.im always skint as arseholes

Tosh

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 01:47:24 pm »
You wouldn't be happy, Ronnie, if you had my brain to go through life with either!  ;D

the 1 and only

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »
tosh whos the woman in your pic??she looks sexy

Sean Dyer

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2009, 01:59:56 pm »
tosh whos the woman in your pic??she looks sexy

omg i hope thats genuine haha

Sean Dyer

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2009, 02:00:53 pm »
w c best i think you need to read original post and all the replys has Ian isnt saying he is the big i am.

He has done well and that helps to be some peoples motavation

ronnie you got guttr vac yet ??

the 1 and only

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2009, 02:03:11 pm »
sean there is beauty in everyone.i think she looks lovely.i love stockings etc.yum yum.sorry if thats your wife tosh.your a lucky man

cozy

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2009, 02:04:51 pm »
Think you've scored there Tosh ;D

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13:40 pm »
Well done to Ian! I wish you a long and happy retirement. I hope you and your family are well and healthy as in my view there is nothing more valuable.

My father had a comfy "middle class" "middle management" * accountant's job. He came from the poorest of backgrounds with his father (shell-shocked, heavy drinking WW1 trenches veteran) unable to afford the rent on a two bed terrace and having to move into a riverside hovel with oil lamps and occasional flooding. He (Dad) came out of the forces, went to night school, qualified as an accountant and retired from his *mc, mm, accountant's job at 62 and was dead at 65 ... ho hum.

My father in law was an indentured printer, left the print and worked on shifts in a chemical factory and retired on disability at 62, got his comfy works pension at 65 and was dead at 66. See a pattern here?

Unlucky things happen but in their cases I beleive their incredibly stressful lives (for different reasons) hastened their demise.

So when I was able to sell up my shares from a struggling office equipment business I was restricted by covenant as to what I could do and did a bit of selling and a bit of window cleaning. The rest is history and if a custy asks (usually quizzically rather than snobbily) why I went window cleaning I give them the long or short version of the above story. Basically a stress free "steady" income, with no boss other than myself or my circumstances.

But above all I have been blessed with general good health (so far) for me and my family. It is partly luck but after conscientiously deciding to reduce stress in my working and religious life I have improved immeasurably. (What I don't tell custies is that the shaping of my religious background also had a lot to do with my career path - leapstall will understand - and when I bought into it hook line and sinker with every fibre of my being in my teens and twenties, well looking back that was pretty stressful too!  ;))

Well that was cathartic on a rainy morn, but it's passed over so off to work!  ;D

Understood totally Malc (Gold).  Although it is probably unintended, a lot of pressure can be brought to bear.  It's perfectly possible to keep good standards without allowing more zealous ones to hint that whatever one does it's never quite enough.  Indeed, I feel that for many (possibly yourself included) it's easier to maintain those standards without the pressure.  It's been good for me to read some of your posts Malc as it has helped to start shifting some old stereotypical thinking of mine.  Without going into details, I have an idea that you will understand a bit about where I'm coming from.

Tosh

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2009, 02:16:58 pm »
Let me fix that for you:

tosh whos the bloke in your pic??he looks sexy

;D ;) :-*

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »
wow how can you get all that from window cleaning.all i got is a room in my dads house and i struggle to pay rent to him.i have a big round at 300 a week hopeing to get 500 if canvassers do work for me i do have a nice car though my focus rs but even that i didnt get through windowcleaning.oh well i dont like people who think they are the big i am anyway.i have had that all my life with bullys about my weight and hair.so what if your good looking,rich have a big house,sexy lovely girlfriend to hold each night,its all good if you dont brag and put down others that dont.im not saying you are doing that just seems pointless you telling the world how great your doing from cleaning windows.

I really think you've got Ian wrong here W C Best.  I've met him several times.  He's one of those really decent, genuine, helpful guys and the world would be a better place if there were more like him.  I know, it's easy to misunderstand the tone of someone's post when you only have the written word to go on.

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2009, 04:08:49 pm »
I couldn't care less if someone I don't know looks down on me for being a window cleaner. The people that matter in my life, my family and friends are realy supportive of what I'm doing(well at least to my face).
Once my rounds built and I'm earning a decent living, who cares what others think

I know for a fact certain people even members of my own family are scoffing behind my back that i am a window cleaner now, oh but i long for the day when i can pay the bills etc, at home and the business and still have money left over and all for working half the hours they work in the week.  Thank God for this forum as each any every one of us drive each other on to succeed.  I feel like giving up the odd time but i know if i stick at it i will get there in the end, just takes time to get my name out there.  People now im sure are starting to see im regular so maybe word will spread more now.
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 07:31:11 pm »
Ian

surely you will still have to be involved in some capacity to keep the franchise ticking over ?

Of course :)

But I will still have loads of free time to do whatever I want without worrying about earning the next crust.

I wouldn't want to give up altogether, you hear so many horror stories about people who do just that and within a few months they're dead :o

I reckon Lise and I will spend maybe 8 or 10 hours a week keeping things 'ticking over' which is just about right, not exactly overdoing it, but still with our fingers on the pulse.

Lise's mum is 86, and her mum's boyfriend is 88 and still runs his own industrial door business - he reckons it's that which keeps him going.

I aim to beat him ;D ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2009, 07:44:37 pm »

"The 1 and only":

I'm not bragging, and I certainly don't intend to put anyone down.  What I've done anyone else can do, and much much more, and all from window cleaning.  Ask Glyn Howard of Omnipole, he built a brilliant window cleaning business long before he started the Omnipole business.  Ask Craig Mawlem of Ionics, he did the very same thing, he was phenominally successful long before he got into manufacturing and selling WFP equipment.

Obviously not everyone achieve millionaire status, but if you have drive and ambition, you can realise all your dreams through this business.  You say you have a 'big round' at 300 a week, I presume that's pounds, not houses?

Perhaps you don't charge enough for your services?  We have a minimum price of £10 per job and we have no shortage of work.

I promise all my franchisees that they will be given as much work as they want, up to £1,000  week if they want it.  Most settle for around the £800-900 mark.  If you want to know how I manage to acquire the work to satisfy them all, ask me - it's no big secret, just hard work.

There are lots and lots of people on here who have achieved this and much more, there's no reason why you shouldn't be one of them.

cozy

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2009, 07:53:17 pm »
I know what the franchise concept is Ian, But how do you draw up the contract? Through a solicitor?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 07:57:54 pm »
I know what the franchise concept is Ian, But how do you draw up the contract? Through a solicitor?

I wrote my first one myself by thinking about it for a few years and asking the first couple of franchisees what they wanted me to include in it.  This year I went to a franchise solicitor and got her to formalise it  and iron out all the inconsistencies etc.  It ensures that the agreement is enforceable in law, there was a danger that a judge would have thrown mine out because parts of it weren't acceptable, so the whole thing could have been deemed unacceptable.

My new agreement protects both me and my franchisees in the unlikely event of a dispute.

cozy

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:28 pm »
Cheers Ian, it's a bit different over here with dom work, but still do-able. I like to think I'm pretty good at round building so I'll have a look at the concept for a German market. Thanks again.

paulben

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 08:45:30 pm »
Stigma just tell them you are your own boss start and stop when you like and days off without grovelling to boss its about job satisfaction ask them if they get that
Do not steal the government hates competition

lee_dewing

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:33 pm »
happy retirement Ian.

If you ever get  bored why not be a trouble shooter for struggling window cleaning business's,

could you put me on your list :D
  ;D lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

cozy

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2009, 08:53:23 pm »
Good point, why not do that? Hotel inspector made a mint with that. :)

dai

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:53 pm »
Ian posted an in depth account of his business methods about a year or two ago, I have great admiration for the man.
Most of us will build up a good round over the years, but what happens when we retire?
To pull in a pension of 40k, you would have to have a pot of around 750k to buy the annuity.
Ian found another way of doing it, he thought about it and did his homework.
Good luck to you Ian, you deserve it.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2009, 11:30:09 pm »
To leapstall - I think I do understand completely where you're coming from. And I find your posts helpful too.

Oh and Tosh, nice to think someone likes the look of your picture of your wife in your avatar! I'm 99.9% sure he's 'avin' a laff but there is that .1% that so wishes he wasn't! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Tosh

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 07:40:25 am »
To leapstall - I think I do understand completely where you're coming from. And I find your posts helpful too.

Oh and Tosh, nice to think someone likes the look of your picture of your wife in your avatar! I'm 99.9% sure he's 'avin' a laff but there is that .1% that so wishes he wasn't! ;D

Hey, I'm a good looking bloke, and like most of us here, he's only human!

;D

Steve CM

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 08:30:52 am »
Where my unit is there is a guy that sells welding equipment. He is 64 and says he wants to retire. He can afford to but is scared of his brain going to sleep!

Now he turns up when he wants. sells a bit here and there and TBH it looks like he is running his business into the ground.

I want to be in a house by the sea and have retired by the time I'm 50

will it happen? we'll see i guess but its something to aim for anyway

Tosh

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 08:51:06 am »

Its funny really, but often when we get the things we want, we're never satisfied.  I'm in exactly the position I wanted to be in when I left the army seven years ago.

I wanted a nice house, a nice missis and to be self employed so no-one could mess me about. I've got all that, and much more, so I am at the plateau that I thought would make me happy seven years ago.

Am I really happy?  To be honest no.  I still want more, but its not things of a material nature I really want, though I wouldn't mind an X-box 360 and a better behaved dog.

Steve CM

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »
Its funny really, but often when we get the things we want, we're never satisfied. 

That is normally the case and its happened to me with a few goals i've set :'( ;D