Re: Wally the Window Washer's New Gutter Scoop
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 08:14:48 pm »
As my reading the tea leaves theory on problem solving seems to fit for you three i'm as interested as anybody to see what it reveals about me.And when I posted the character profiles i hadn't solved it yet.

Well I have now, and as I was hoping I would, I got lucky. So what does it say about me that it's an elegant solution that addresses every suggestion and objection made on the thread. It's an interchangeable tool design that is quick, easy to use, and simple.

True, I haven't made the prototype yet so I can't post a pic .

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 08:23:24 pm »
You sound like Clive Sinclair

;D

jeff1

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 09:47:12 pm »
A brief explanation now will do Clive and after you have built and tested your protor type and your happy with it, then you can post your photo's.

I call this team work, there seem's to be three of us building and testing idea's for a real decent gutter scoop.
I'm really happy with my piece of beaten old metal, it works a treat for me and if I dropped and bust it tomorrow, within an hour I can cut & bash myself another one out, Now that's faster than any Internet delivery lol

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 10:00:45 pm »
I've just done something very quick to give an idea. There is a strengh issue to be addressed but this gives a range of options and versatility. It is secured to a trad pole with electical tape overlapping to give extra grip. I'm quite sure someone must have done this before. 

jeff1

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 10:20:35 pm »
Even with tape on it Clive you will end up with swivel problems, I did the same sort of thing and ended up bolting it on to stop the swivel, I had the same issues with my Mk1,2 & 3 and the bolting I found was needed to make your Job less frustrating.

I had the same issues with strength when I felt my gutter scoop Mk2 was showing signs of snapping and it wouldn't see half a dozen Jobs out, So back into the workshop and salvaged an old guide bar from an old Wood router, I drilled and added it to were it would give most protection, it has now done loads and loads of Jobs and I have no fear of it snapping on me now.

Mk3 Version

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 10:48:07 pm »
I can see that yours is robust, I was attracted to this method because i could switch tools easily, but it may be too weak to work properly. I've got some other, stronger options, but this was my favourite.

jeff1

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:25 pm »
I haven't taken a picture of it, but on mine I made a scoop to slip  onto the end of the one in the picture that enables me to clean the square guttering,  I take it off and I can do round bottom guttering.

Its simple idea's that make our work safe and easy.

keep working and using yours and you'll come up with several idea's to improve it and make the job that much simpler.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »
Does anyone use the WFP to spray a little water in & rinse the gutter after, or is it not necessary? I'd assume that the scoops would leave  a good but of dirt behind?

jeff1

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:35 pm »
Mine cleans pretty well.

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
I shall be making an important announcement shortly, propeling gutter cleaning into a new era, standbye......

jeff1

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »
Standing By Clive ;)

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
got visitors at mo but...

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 07:27:51 pm »
Looks the best so far IMO

;D

jeff1

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28:32 pm »
Nice one Clive  ;D There is some time and effort gone into that one, Have you tried it out yet?

The only thing I can see that may cause you the odd problem is the size of the scoop, I kept mine narrow because of some roof tiles almost covering the guttering and leaving very little gap for our tools to fit in.
If you have a clear run that it fits into, come back and tell me how fast you can clean guttering out, I bet on a 3 bed semi will be around five minutes a side.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

ftp

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 08:03:24 pm »
You can get very light plastic trowels in B&Q i use one for conservatory gutters, i drilled several holes in it to allow water to pass through.
 Stangely enough, i'm being drawn towards Alex's scoop as it looks so strong and simple.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »
Yes it is a bit wide, if you notice the top bit is interchangeable via the wing nut. I have several ideas for other tools, one of them being a narrower (see pic) type trowel.

I was right about the offset too, this isn't offset (the shaft attaching at the corner rather than the middle) because of the narrow gap problems you mention.

I took on board what you said about strenght and this is very strong I have only played with it so far but it seems to work fine. Notice the pulex and the metal angle adapter to give even more veratility (gutters that are set back ove another roof)

I think I've figured a way to put an electical excavator up there to chuck the dirt over the side. This works by our wfp pole hose feeding water to it, and then a larger exit pipe taking the debris over the edge of the gutter. I've bodged something together and it seems to work. (problem anyone standing underneath would get covered in wet muck but i'm trying to figure a way round that.

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:30 pm »
One of the tools I want is a brush that fits. this is a very narrow addis with long bristles

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »
I already use a stiff patio brush on the end of a pulex.

jeff1

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
Well Clive I hope you haven't ruined the awning of your caravan by steeling that angle Joint from it Lol

Its looking good, what it needs now is a brush following the scoop and following the brush a hose to rinse clean.

In a few years time we 3 are going to be sat around our PC's laughing at the beginnings of the gutter scoop inventions, we may laugh but they will become a very popular item in any wc toolbox but I hope not the house holders tool box, with all this rain were having my gutter cleaning services this year have tripled over last years work and that will dwindle if it becomes a domestic product.

I only need my simple gutter scoop to remove the extra garden type of weeds from the guttering, once that's removed I then get the lance out.
One thing I do when its lance time, is to remind the customer to remove animals children and them selfs from the area for safety reasons, you can also do this if you produce your electric gutter scoop.

Good luck and keep it going. ;)

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 09:06:19 pm »
Thanks Jeff, the angle adapter is a standard trad pole attachment. The electrical motive power is the battery operated washing up wand shown above.