twt

which laser printer for self addressed envelopes
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:37:51 pm »
I have been using a laser printer for the past few years and it has given up the ghost so this weekend i bought a new one, a brother printer from staples for 40 odd quid set it up and printed some envelopes and they all came out creased after much fiddling with settings i took it back and got a samsung laser printer for £70 same problem. I don't think they sell my old model anymore so can anyone recomend a laser printer which is still for sale and does not crease envelopes when printing on them.
thanks phil

LWC

Re: which laser printer for self addressed envelopes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:40:45 pm »
doesnt help sorry but every printer ive used has always ruined the envleopes

twt

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:21 pm »
don't want to use labels as you have to print them and then stick them on envelopes and i would find that too time consuming.
thanks for the suggestion though.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »
what a lot of fuss and cash
BUY A RUBBER STAMP
or if you use LOADS like a 1000 a month go to a printers and getsome done

twt

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:55:04 pm »
Not as time consuming as eating through 100's envelopes with printer!

Fair point though.

I use inkjet, no probs, as the paper only gets curved slightly as it goes through printer, rather than curled back on itself.

Have to disagree there because you have to print the labels then stick them on the envelopes where as with my old printer i just put the envelopes in the printer. laser printers are  much quicker than  ink jets and on the old laser printer the envelopes cames out just slighty curved not chewed up like the two ive just bought this weekend. Laser printers are quick give a better more crisp print out and are very effiecent to run.

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:00:36 pm »
I use an HP inkjet but i have to put them through 1 at a time or it jams the printer.

I could do with a printer also that prints DL sized envelopes without jamming or pulling loads through

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:02:14 pm »
Why don't you get a stamp

I have one of those used it once and it looks crap never used it since

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:04:16 pm »
Why don't you get a stamp, or if you use loads, get a load printed?
beatme too it ;D
just the easy option tho surely ???
rubber stamp = £16
i mean cmon

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »
my stamp is crap as well
but the envelope still come thru the door
 ;D

Mr H

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:07:19 pm »
I find putting the envelopes through narrow side first stops them getting stuck or creased. They do have a slight bend to them but that goes once you put the invoice in or stack a few together....

Regards
Mr H

twt

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:07:53 pm »
I have tried different methods i preffer using a laser printer which worked well for 2 1/2 years until my printer broke i asked if anyone can recomend a suitable laser printer i don't need suggestions about rubber stamps or stickback labels i want something that is quick efficient.

vision tech

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 09:14:16 pm »
I have an epson stylus photo r220,it does envelopes,very good printer,it takes 5 different colour cartridges which you can buy for £1 each.
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 09:20:46 pm »
I have tried different methods i preffer using a laser printer which worked well for 2 1/2 years until my printer broke i asked if anyone can recomend a suitable laser printer i don't need suggestions about rubber stamps or stickback labels i want something that is quick efficient.
sorry mate only trying to help
my missus spent about 3 hrs messing with the computer and the printer
result?
48 chewed up envelopes
1 printed on the back
1 printed properly
i ordered a stamp next day
quick and efficient
was not trying to be cleveri just find it easier :)

twt

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 09:27:30 pm »
sorry mate only trying to help
my missus spent about 3 hrs messing with the computer and the printer
result?
48 chewed up envelopes
1 printed on the back
1 printed properly
i ordered a stamp next day
quick and efficient
was not trying to be cleveri just find it easier :)

ok mate you know whats its like on here sometimes. like i said before i had a good quick method but the printer breaking down messed it up and i have struggled to get another laser printer to do the same thing.

vision tech ill have a look at those printers i was looking towards a laser printer because of quality of print and economy but £1 a cartridge is pretty cheap.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:30:46 pm »
fair do mate ;D
no worries

steve m

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:33 pm »
I use an epson stylus DX7450 inkjet, just put 10 at a time, press the buttons and off it goes no problem

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:26:48 pm »
The stamp is fine until the ink gets wet.
I know that labels can be a bit more hassle but they are a good solution IMO - so long as laser is used as inkjet can run when it gets wet.  Apart from that, sticking labels on must be much easier than unjamming the printer constantly or getting creased envelopes.

borg

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:22 am »
i use the epson RX520 i have no probs

Steve CM

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 01:00:12 am »
get them printed from a printers. its a large cost at first but when you work out how much each envelope costs you it works out cheaper in the long run.

i spent a fortune on inks before

david wood

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:25 am »
ive always had epson printers  reliable and cheap on ink and had no probs with my envolopes

P®oPole™

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 08:05:32 am »

Some places sell cheap glossy envelopes that slide/jam and crease or quite simply some printers might not like them. If I were you I would shop around for some better envelopes that could sort out your problem, its worked for me a few times.

Pro

jaykie

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:49:45 am »
Ive always used epson, had the r200, r220, r360 very cheap on inks and you can stack envelopes so no single feeding, but i never use for printing envelopes as i like a lot on here have a stamp from staples, £17 and you have what ever you want printed on it and its made for you there and then.

Chris

jeff1

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 11:14:07 am »
Epson Stylus R300 continuous ink feed, knocks out hundreds of envelopes and invoices with no problems.

RobE

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 04:38:19 pm »
Have you tried printing in the fast economical setting? Worked for me as my printer would chew them up all the time on normal setting. Seemed that as the printer was working slower the enelopes get stuck around the rollers. The faster setting they just fly through no probs.

twt

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 07:46:30 pm »
get them printed from a printers. its a large cost at first but when you work out how much each envelope costs you it works out cheaper in the long run.

i spent a fortune on inks before

Sent my wife to staples today they tested the printers in store and she came back with a hp laser jet 1005 works a treat prints envelopes quickly with no creasing.
The printer and 1000  DL self seal envelopes cost less than getting 1000 envelopes from a printer this way is the cheapest way to get quality printed envelopes for me.