jeff1

Work Keeps Coming In
« on: October 18, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »
Before wfp I had 300 customers that I did on a 6 weekly round, I was very really on time? except in the summer months, but when I first changed over to wfp I ended up having 2 weeks in every six off.

I decided I wanted more work, so along with a £150 3 line advert in yellow pages, I printed some leaflets off and whenever I went to a new area, were I knew prices would be reasonable if not good, I would get the Boss to go leaflet dropping in these areas.

From my YP advert some months back I had a call from a very affluent area, (posh to some of you ;D) now this was a big Georgian house in a road full of them and all 3 stories high, I priced the Job and got it and the lady of the house wasn't to disappointed that I could not reach the top floor with my 24' universal pole, Now she might not have been disappointed but I certainly was, So I came home and bought myself the 34' hybrid XTel pole, The next time I arrived at this Job, I was able to do the top floor, Now this lady was delighted and so was I.

A couple of weeks ago I did the Job again, only this time the boss was with me, and while I was to clean this particular Georgian house, the Boss decided she would go off on a leaflet drop, Now this is were the fun started, I started to set my gear up and the Boss had been gone for about 5 minutes, I had not even got my pole out of the trailer when my mobile went off, I spoke to the lady on the phone and she told me I can see the lady who posted the leaflet, talking to someone at the bottom of the drive, I got there and it was the conservative offices, I priced this Job and got it, Then I had to go off and price another one that had stopped the boss (at the bottom of the drive) I got that one as well, by the time I  got back to my original Job, there was a chap stood by my car waiting for me, now this chap has a big bed and breakfast house, I priced this one and got it, by the time I left this area I picked up another 2 big houses.

Since then the phone has rung a few more times for this particular area, each one I priced I have got, I priced one yesterday and this was to include her conservatory and the roof, also on ever occasion she wants her greenhouse done, priced it and got the Job only on the condition I could get to the top windows, as she didn't think I could get to them? This is a nice little earner this one, although all of them have there conservatories done, this is the only one that wants her  greenhouse done and every time.

After having a chat to a couple of these customers, it seems to me they have had w/cleaners in the past, but none of them come back? they also couldn't do the top floor windows, I told them I wasn't the cheapest w/c but I price because I do return and I need to make a living, if the job  is under priced then this could well be a reason for them not returning.

It is now coming close to me closing my books again with the extra 2 weeks now booked up with very well priced property's.
The Boss took a couple of pictures of the house with the conservatory and the greenhouse.
Almost forgot, I now have 548 customers and I can still do my round on time in 6 weeks.

Davew

Re: Work Keeps Coming In
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 05:52:59 pm »
Jeff a bit rude perhaps but what do you charge for the first pic? I have a similar one to quote tomorrow morning.

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:08:01 pm »
Jeff a bit rude perhaps but what do you charge for the first pic? I have a similar one to quote tomorrow morning.
£60 for the first clean and £35 there after, that does not include the conservatory.

Davew

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:13:56 pm »
Blimey, thanks Jeff well done. I reckon you'll need an understudy soon great stuff.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:47:53 pm »
Blimey, thanks Jeff well done. I reckon you'll need an understudy soon great stuff.
Got the boss to help when its needed, so I won't be employing anyone, Just close the books.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:33 pm »
That sounds like one of those days when you're just glad to be alive  ;)

What a cracking way to be moving onwards and upwards, well done.

Matt

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
That sounds like one of those days when you're just glad to be alive  ;)

What a cracking way to be moving onwards and upwards, well done.

Matt
And all thanks to a brush on a stick ;D ;D :)

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:47:31 pm »
Fantastic Jeff. I couldn't be more pleased. You deserve to do well because you are one of lifes givers. But that's enough about you.

I've fancied one of them Xtel hybrids since you first mentioned them so recently I got one. the 28'.It was a complete revelation to me. Like you I've already got a 24' univeral and an unger locking cone thing. Although the unger was cheap-£100- it goes about 40'. It's ali and last winter it froze my hands and the locking cones have to be tight to hold it firm, and in the cold I didn't always have the grip strength to undo it. Each time I used it was about a fifteen minute exercise with the hose flapping everywhere and me using all my strenght not to stove someones roof tiles in. In other words a pig.

Anyway, this 28' hybrid was unbelievable with one of Alex's supalite brush's on it. I don't have many high jobs, but for those few I do have I am sick of dreading them because of the set up time and the difficulty involved. So then I thought I should really have the 34' because as you say something is bound to come up where I will need it. I was stupid not to have gotten it in the first place. I posted on here about it and the problem was soon sorted for me. Alex is a lot like you when it comes to helping people, and I sometimes feel ashamed for some of the opinionated bombastic belittleing etc posts I put up when there are such nice people about.-we can't all be the same though-.

So today I took the fibreglass grey bottom section off the 28 and put in  it's place the the three ferrari red hybrid sections required to make it a 34.

From earlier comments you say that you use the 34 as an only pole. That is not the case with me, my favourite is the 17'Xtel, that at £65 is not only cheap but also very light and adaptable for ups and downs. If I break it, or it suffers wear and tear so what.

The 34 is heavier than the 28, and I wonder how the boss manages it because I wouldn't like to have to all the time. I keep it for best, and for jobs that only it can do.

Returning to your post, if we must, your increase in numbers is extremely impressive especially when you consider the quality  of your round, you certainly have done everything right. I am sure that all your customers are very fortunate to have you as a window cleaner.

Of course when you get your van that will open up a few gaps.......  And there is always the signwriting to be cconsidered.......

Cheers Jeff and Boss - regards Clive

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:43:06 pm »
Fantastic Jeff. I couldn't be more pleased. You deserve to do well because you are one of lifes givers. But that's enough about you.

I've fancied one of them Xtel hybrids since you first mentioned them so recently I got one. the 28'.It was a complete revelation to me. Like you I've already got a 24' univeral and an unger locking cone thing. Although the unger was cheap-£100- it goes about 40'. It's ali and last winter it froze my hands and the locking cones have to be tight to hold it firm, and in the cold I didn't always have the grip strength to undo it. Each time I used it was about a fifteen minute exercise with the hose flapping everywhere and me using all my strenght not to stove someones roof tiles in. In other words a pig.

Anyway, this 28' hybrid was unbelievable with one of Alex's supalite brush's on it. I don't have many high jobs, but for those few I do have I am sick of dreading them because of the set up time and the difficulty involved. So then I thought I should really have the 34' because as you say something is bound to come up where I will need it. I was stupid not to have gotten it in the first place. I posted on here about it and the problem was soon sorted for me. Alex is a lot like you when it comes to helping people, and I sometimes feel ashamed for some of the opinionated bombastic belittleing etc posts I put up when there are such nice people about.-we can't all be the same though-.

So today I took the fibreglass grey bottom section off the 28 and put in  it's place the the three ferrari red hybrid sections required to make it a 34.

From earlier comments you say that you use the 34 as an only pole. That is not the case with me, my favourite is the 17'Xtel, that at £65 is not only cheap but also very light and adaptable for ups and downs. If I break it, or it suffers wear and tear so what.

The 34 is heavier than the 28, and I wonder how the boss manages it because I wouldn't like to have to all the time. I keep it for best, and for jobs that only it can do.

Returning to your post, if we must, your increase in numbers is extremely impressive especially when you consider the quality  of your round, you certainly have done everything right. I am sure that all your customers are very fortunate to have you as a window cleaner.

Of course when you get your van that will open up a few gaps.......  And there is always the signwriting to be cconsidered.......

Cheers Jeff and Boss - regards Clive
Hi Clive
Thanks for your comments.
Regarding the 34' Xtel, I do use it every day for every Job, as you can see by one of the greenhouse pictures, I'm stuck between the greenhouse and a wall, but I had to do the top section first and then lower it to complete the bottom section, the Boss only gets the chance to use it on occasions, there is no way she could use it all day every day.

I do have a 40' section fishing pole that I have used on the odd one or two Jobs, its just the setting up time that puts me off using it more, I would like one of Alex's superlite 2 poles, But I am also thinking of getting another Xtel but maybe the 17'or 28' like you have, just for everyday use, the boss is excellent for making cups of tea and bringing her home made puffpastry mince pies ;D when she's not doing that she helps set things up for me and does any running around I neeed, she's brilliant at untangling the dam hose ever time it wraps around bushes etc, and when she's not doing that, she does the down stairs windows, so she may be disabled but she earns her money.

She wanted me to buy a  60' superlite2, but I aso knew she wanted an embroidery machine, so I opted to buy this machine for her, at least I'll get all my embrodered uniform done for free now ;D and if it wasn't for the Boss I would still be up my ladders, she bought all my wfp gear for my christmas presant last year, and I haven't looked back since, I highly recommend  anyone to change over to wfp, but do a little research before changing over. ;)

macmac

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 11:36:47 pm »
well done jeff

It's a shame the hybrid poles dont have removable sections, it looks like your holding a drain pipe jeff (no offense). from what i've read the hybrid is a good pole, but just think what it would be like not having to use all the sections all the time! ;)

tony

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:42:53 pm »
well done jeff

It's a shame the hybrid poles dont have removable sections, it looks like your holding a drain pipe jeff (no offense). from what i've read the hybrid is a good pole, but just think what it would be like not having to use all the sections all the time! ;)

tony
Tony
I think they are removable, you just unscrew the clamp, But its more trouble than its worth, so I keep it as is, There only 5' long (me thinks) not like my old universal? that was like holding and using a cast iron drain pipe at about 6' long ;D

macmac

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 11:52:03 pm »
well done jeff

tony
Tony
I think they are removable, you just unscrew the clamp, But its more trouble than its worth, so I keep it as is, There only 5' long (me thinks) not like my old universal? that was like holding and using a cast iron drain pipe at about 6' long ;D

Yeah, they are removable but like you say it's too much hassle, i mean just slip off. imagine how good that pole would be with slip off sections. it's frustrating that a manufacturer would over-look such a simple but vital feature. rant over ;)

tony

supernova77

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 12:35:04 am »
Well done Jeff mate!  ;)

It's great when you find those little gold mine areas.

Andy

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 12:39:50 am »
well done jeff

tony
Tony

Yeah, they are removable but like you say it's too much hassle, i mean just slip off. imagine how good that pole would be with slip off sections. it's frustrating that a manufacturer would over-look such a simple but vital feature. rant over ;)

tony
They do it this way so we have to buy more and more poles ::)
Well done Jeff mate! ;)

It's great when you find those little gold mine areas.

Andy

And there is plenty more to get yet  ;) There is one place I have my eye on, just looking at 2 sides of the building it has to be an £80 one, minimum, without me looking at the other 2  sides, I'll get some pictures next time I'm there, I now have houses on both sides of this big place, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 02:05:46 am »
Before wfp I had 300 customers that I did on a 6 weekly round, I was very really on time? except in the summer months, but when I first changed over to wfp I ended up having 2 weeks in every six off.

I decided I wanted more work, so along with a £150 3 line advert in yellow pages, I printed some leaflets off and whenever I went to a new area, were I knew prices would be reasonable if not good, I would get the Boss to go leaflet dropping in these areas.

From my YP advert some months back I had a call from a very affluent area, (posh to some of you ;D) now this was a big Georgian house in a road full of them and all 3 stories high, I priced the Job and got it and the lady of the house wasn't to disappointed that I could not reach the top floor with my 24' universal pole, Now she might not have been disappointed but I certainly was, So I came home and bought myself the 34' hybrid XTel pole, The next time I arrived at this Job, I was able to do the top floor, Now this lady was delighted and so was I.

A couple of weeks ago I did the Job again, only this time the boss was with me, and while I was to clean this particular Georgian house, the Boss decided she would go off on a leaflet drop, Now this is were the fun started, I started to set my gear up and the Boss had been gone for about 5 minutes, I had not even got my pole out of the trailer when my mobile went off, I spoke to the lady on the phone and she told me I can see the lady who posted the leaflet, talking to someone at the bottom of the drive, I got there and it was the conservative offices, I priced this Job and got it, Then I had to go off and price another one that had stopped the boss (at the bottom of the drive) I got that one as well, by the time I  got back to my original Job, there was a chap stood by my car waiting for me, now this chap has a big bed and breakfast house, I priced this one and got it, by the time I left this area I picked up another 2 big houses.

Since then the phone has rung a few more times for this particular area, each one I priced I have got, I priced one yesterday and this was to include her conservatory and the roof, also on ever occasion she wants her greenhouse done, priced it and got the Job only on the condition I could get to the top windows, as she didn't think I could get to them? This is a nice little earner this one, although all of them have there conservatories done, this is the only one that wants her  greenhouse done and every time.

After having a chat to a couple of these customers, it seems to me they have had w/cleaners in the past, but none of them come back? they also couldn't do the top floor windows, I told them I wasn't the cheapest w/c but I price because I do return and I need to make a living, if the job  is under priced then this could well be a reason for them not returning.

It is now coming close to me closing my books again with the extra 2 weeks now booked up with very well priced property's.
The Boss took a couple of pictures of the house with the conservatory and the greenhouse.
Almost forgot, I now have 548 customers and I can still do my round on time in 6 weeks.

I read this post with great interest Jeff as it seems like your situation mirrors mine but that you are a step ahead of me.
Just like you I do a 6 weekly turnaround that changed to working 4 weeks in 6 once I got used to WFP.  Since then I have been slowly starting to fill the gaps - also with the aid of a 3 liner in YP.  I say slowly because I am trying to fill it with work that has some quality to it.  I could have filled the gap with mediocre work of poor access (locked gates etc) several times over but I'm not prepared to sell myself short any more.  Due to taking this stance, the decent work has started to drift my way.  At the moment it's a trickle but I think the day is not too far away when I experience the sort of thing that has just happened to you.
This month I am heading for my highest paid month ever - and with a week off too.  It seems tyo be just starting to click into place.  Not before time either as I've been at it since 1991.

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 06:50:35 am »
I'm thinking of a three liner, What's the suggested wording?

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 08:06:29 am »
well done m8, yp works well for me too ;)
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

chrismroberts

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 08:22:23 am »
Good for you Jeff   :) :) :) :) :) This is a really inspirational post! I'm gonna get out canvassing I think....   ;)

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 08:57:27 am »
FED UP WITH DIRTY WINDOWS
LOOKING FOR A QUALITY RESULT
CALL VG WINDOW CLEANERS  ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 05:46:39 pm »

I suppose there are a number of permutations but mine is as follows:-

COLEMAN SERVICES

DOMESTIC/COMMERCIAL WINDOW CLEANING
Using Water Fed Pole System   <landline number>
<address>  mob <mobile number>

There is a small box around it all and (obviously) the numbers and address are printed instead of what I've put above.