peekeclean

buying a back pack
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:18:03 am »
can anyone give me there opinion on back packs im thinking of buying one but are they a lot of mucking about for what they are?
Whats the best one to go for and best place to get it?
pro`s and con`s?

cheers joe

Pole2pole

Re: buying a back pack
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:51:40 am »
Buy one today. It'll be the best single asset you'll ever buy for wfp. Ebay do them for about £80 i think from the states. I'm on my second and they've never given me a single prob. Hope this helps  ;)

Biscute

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:26:10 am »
iv never seen one for 80 pound. i sold one on ebay for 140 and my friends went for 120. personaly id prefer a trolly, they are just as mobile if not eayser to move and a lot easyer to us. You will save hours not having to fill it up all the time.
Dont argue with a retard, they will just pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Pole2pole

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:38:14 pm »

jouk45

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:28 pm »
yes good price, but what if something hapens to it, try sending it back to get  fix,  sorry to burst bubbles but its true. buy here in the uk,

Pole2pole

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 11:44:22 pm »
True jouk but can only speak from experience and my experience is.......I've never had a single prob. The "only" reason i'm on my second one is cos i kept slamming it to the ground and the plastic cracked. But thats my fault. As for returning items in this country,in my experience there aint a corner of the globe where there's more grief returning anything than ol blighty  >:(

jouk45

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 11:52:24 pm »
i paid £200 for mine max,  i have had no problems with mine as yet,   but with the uk company i am with, i know it will be sorted in a matter of days and not months,  there may be £50- of a saving, geting it from over seas, look at the long term, just my advice

geefree

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 11:56:03 pm »
i started with a backpack, so i wont knock it as a start to wfp... but now its sat in the van doing nothing, as i have made a van mount,

i know look at my backpack as i look at ladders...

its simply not worth getting it out anymore....

the ease of pulling a hose from the van is so simple now compared to when i was carting all those containers about and filling the darn thing....

its a good starter, i cant imagine anyone who has a van mount wanting to get one, even for those awkward to get to houses.... if i cant do it with van mount or ladders..... i dont do it,

who wants them jobs anyway..

thats my moan ... sorry.

;)

Pole2pole

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:56:45 pm »
I think we're both trying to help but from different angles jouk. That's what this place is all about. Sooner have a difference of opinion here than in Hell's Kitchen  ;D

Pole2pole

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 11:59:13 pm »
I got a van mount now gazza but i still swear by old baccy, although i gotta confess, i think it's a confidence thing i'm going thru. I'm sure with practice i'll be a much happier bunny.

jouk45

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:02:12 am »
I think we're both trying to help but from different angles jouk. That's what this place is all about. Sooner have a difference of opinion here than in Hell's Kitchen  ;D

yea , i like home made soup, better than tins , he he

Pole2pole

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 12:04:54 am »
now now   ;)

jouk45

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 12:06:03 am »
now now ;)
you did bring up kitchens lol

jouk45

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 12:08:45 am »
the backpack is brilliant, go any where with it, i have never had a problem filling it, what 1 min if that,

Pole2pole

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 12:10:21 am »
Oh ok, gotcha........took me a while to get where you were coming from lol. Finishing this glarse of red wiinee now. I'd better get some sleep  ;D

brett walker

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 12:10:54 am »
A backpack would work well with a van mount system so it can be used for awkward areas and backs of houses

I started off with a backpack but got fed up with keep filling it up i prefere to use my freedom trolley

But the backpack is a good bit of kit it does the job

Brett.

jouk45

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 12:13:40 am »
Oh ok, gotcha........took me a while to get where you were coming from lol. Finishing this glarse of red wiinee now. I'd better get some sleep  ;D
night dino  lol my your slow tonight lol

Pole2pole

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 12:14:23 am »
Are you still with the freedom Brett. If i remember rightly, we bought them pretty much the same time. Mine has recently ceased to exist lol. I stripped it and used the pump 'n' battery for the van mount. Glad you're still putting it to good use though  ;)

Pole2pole

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 12:17:27 am »
I'm on my third bottle jo. I read in a magazine once that it's good for the heart  :) That's what i told the mrs and my doctor AND my cardiologist. That's my excuse, and i'm sticking to it  ;D

Pole2pole

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 12:18:25 am »
Glass, glass..i meant glass  ;D  ;D  ;D

jouk45

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 12:22:43 am »
A backpack would work well with a van mount system so it can be used for awkward areas and backs of houses

I started off with a backpack but got fed up with keep filling it up i prefere to use my freedom trolley

But the backpack is a good bit of kit it does the job

Brett.
your right bret, if you dont mind the refilling part  its ok,   like me you get use to it,  i think its brilliant , sometimes  when on a job i wished i had a van with a large tank,

brett walker

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 12:23:49 am »
Are you still with the freedom Brett. If i remember rightly, we bought them pretty much the same time. Mine has recently ceased to exist lol. I stripped it and used the pump 'n' battery for the van mount. Glad you're still putting it to good use though  ;)

Hi Dino :)

yes im still using the freedom trolley but also have a 250ltr tank now so i can use it as a van mount thats the good thing about the freedom trolley it can also be used as a van mount

regards
brett.

jouk45

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 12:28:36 am »
I'm on my third bottle jo. I read in a magazine once that it's good for the heart :) That's what i told the mrs and my doctor AND my cardiologist. That's my excuse, and i'm sticking to it ;D
he he  yes dino  any excuse  lol

Pole2pole

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 12:30:37 am »
Glad ya still getting on with it Brett. I never had any regrets buying it AT ALL. If it wasn't for the freedom, i don't know if be where i am now. I'm looking at 400l containers now, but i aint sure if vauxhall combo can legally take the weight. I'm b*ggered as to where i can find any payload info. I guess it'll be on my log book, which i'm still waiting to get back from the DVLA.

Pole2pole

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 12:31:41 am »
Honest jo  :)
Night fellas

jouk45

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 12:36:20 am »
Honest jo :)
Night fellas
night dino, sure your your not from the flintstones, recodnize that name he he

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 11:23:49 pm »
how do you get the back pack attached to the poles? I have only just worked out that a pack pack has pump(well think it does) I thought it was the old pump and spray and wondered how the h++l that would work.  :-[

Pole2pole

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 07:24:26 am »
It's got a pump built under where the battery goes. At the very base of it, there's the on/off button. Press once for on,twice for more pressure,3 and 4 for even more pressure,then 5th turns off.
you connect to pole with hozelock bits 'n' pieces

jouk45

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 07:29:40 am »
how do you get the back pack attached to the poles? I have only just worked out that a pack pack has pump(well think it does) I thought it was the old pump and spray and wondered how the h++l that would work. :-[

ian, this shows the backpack at all angles,
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/new_industrial/Industrial/gen_industrial/subcategories/ProPack.html

MartinB

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 10:25:31 am »
Get the UK version (CE marked)  from Williamson Pumps - £145 + Carriage + VAT inc. spare battery. www.williamsonpumps.co.uk

Clear Vision

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 06:35:08 pm »
Well,

I'll add my bit. (Honest opinion)

I started off with a awful diy trolley and soon got fed up so i went the van mount way! What a difference. I love the van mount. It's so simple you just pull and go.

A year on and I was getting sick of the van mount. Always having to put out safety cones, always catching on car tyres and always catching on corners of steps, pots and flowers. The list could go on and on.

Then a friend of mine purchased a backpack and was so chuffed with it and was always telling me how quick it was and never have to worry about hoses!

Ah..... This is for me!

So I went and purchased one  but kept thinking "how can it be better than a van mount"?????

Well............... My first day with the back pack earned me at least 20% more than I would usually earn. It was so quick I couldn't believe it. It was heavy for the first few days but I soon got used to it.

My 2 van mounts were given the p45. Never used them. 100% backpack for everything.

3 months later and after using the backpack continuously I'm starting to get sick of it so I'm going back to my van mount.

My reasons are as follows.

1. Hate filling it up
2. flow rate is slow (if you want it to last a house you need to use it on the slowest setting or it could mean a couple of trips to re-fill.
3. Its heavy
4. long term health risks.
5. Pain charging the battery up (although you could keep spares)

BUT I will always have a use for the pack and would never be without it!!!!!!!!!

Matthew
 Clear Vision

dai

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 09:05:36 pm »
I bought mine from the states. The PCB went on it and I had to buy one from Cleantech, Not cheap at £50 or so.
I use my DIY trolley system for most jobs, but the backpack is brilliant for those stand alone jobs and awkward access. A backpack will earn it's corn no matter what other system you have. Dai

Pole2pole

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:22 pm »
I had my first "whole" day today...van mount, hosereels etc etc. NO backpack at all. Please tell me it gets better lads. Yep, caught on tyres, microbore kinking, plants etc etc. Tell me it gets better  :) Or do i have to go  and re establish my round to nice big hassle free houses?

Clear Vision

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 10:28:05 am »
I had my first "whole" day today...van mount, hosereels etc etc. NO backpack at all. Please tell me it gets better lads. Yep, caught on tyres, microbore kinking, plants etc etc. Tell me it gets better  :) Or do i have to go  and re establish my round to nice big hassle free houses?

It will get easier trust me!!!!

Each time you return to the house you will have a better idea as where to park and which way to pull the hose out and what windows to start on.

I usually pull to the furthest point and work back.

Yes getting hassel free houses is the way to go but you still need work! The good houses will come over time and then you can drop the awkward ones ;)

hope that helps you a bit.

Matthew

Pole2pole

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 04:30:33 pm »
Cheers Matty.........day 2 was better, but it feels lovely to have my backpack back for all the little one off houses  :)