Clear Vision

Ever had a row or fallen out with a customer?
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:06:48 pm »
Just wondered if anyone has had cross words with a customer.

Ever told them to p**s off or "go & find another window cleaner, I won't be back"?

What was your reason for the argument?

Let's hear your story's.

Matthew

Alex Wingrove

Re: Ever had a row or fallen out with a customer?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:21:32 pm »
yes

3 weeks ago

a mr stonor if i remember

large house Georgian windows, needed to be £30-35, but i wanted to increase work in that area so said 27 he said £25 so said ok

anyways they where filthy, so i did a good job, and he asked me how often i come he said every 6weeks he said ok

any ways he went out, sent a bill and he had his name number on the envelope saying, give me a call end of june or 12weeks later

anyhow went back 3 weeks ago or six weeks since i cleaned it, and he said "i said call me at the end of june"

anyway i got annoyed saying i gave him a really good price, and that its no wonder your windows where so dirty, you must have ripped the last window cleaner off,

so i told him to find another window cleaner.

but might call him in june at maybe 11pm, asking if he wants them done

edd

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 08:10:18 pm »
from the start its 4/6 weeks only so no one falls out and that is sorted
out from the begining

today i had the biggest dickhead i have ever met no realy i mean it
they reckoned that all the dirt that is washed from the outside then appears
on the inside after we have gone ,this apparently happens every month
WTF a total f.....g plank a compleat waste of good skin

problem is he really did think that we made the windows dirty on the insides
well i thought be nice but not today just got paid then i had to get in van and go
before i let Mr.tosser have it full bore

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:17:11 pm »
he he two weeks ago we were flying through some small two bed houses all five off us so as you can imagine two bottoms three tops so the guy at end starts to work back on him self  to meet up with the rest ie all muck in so he droped from top ladder and done my door  fronts done so i just had my bottom front window to do ,
went round back and customer came rushing out you you have not done my door i said thats right i did not do your door he did nxt door him up the ladder no he did not that was enough for me lol i said before you rant on any more i said i am not a cheat our dishonest ,so why dont you go round your front and check the bottom rubber it will still be wet repy was i just did the door two days ago my self so it will be clean lol
i said thats fine i will not do your backs either then if thats what you think and went next door she came out and said over the fence here is your money my reply is your  money is no good here pet and you can consider your self dropped  she went on trying to give my men the money i said to them dont bother taking it but would she appologise did she fcck
her loss im talking we do two hundred houses on her estate and not another window cleaner for miles stupid bitch
how come they never give you the im sorry i made a mistake
but she was my latest hot potato tell you what it gave the boys a laugh
i said if any customer treats you like a theif and cheat just give them it like the gaffer just did
wonder how many cob webs she will have in a few months
im a fair guy if she says sorry then no prob i will take her back but i wont hold my breath

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 08:21:58 pm »
I Had a woman About a year Ago now was a decent job £25 was doing her windows every 4 weeks she was happy i was happy we even cleaned her carpets she was over the moon with them. Then one day knocked on the door no answer so we cracked on cleaning all the windows neighbour poked her head over the fence and said she was away i replied no probs i wil leave a card so she knows we've been. Anyway 2 weeks later go round to collect and she accuses me of not cleaning them. after Arguing for 5 mins and getting no where politely told her she obviously needs to rip people off to get by in life and that im not a cheat or a rip off merchant,  And drove passed that night with tescos finest eggs  ;D ;D
P&R Window Cleaning

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:37:41 pm »
I've dropped a few in my time.  If they are bad payers, you know the sort you clean then try and collect and then again and every time they are in but don't answer or say can you collect tomorrow night.  I just tell them blank, your a bad payer we don't need your custom.  No need to be rude about it.

Had a customer once that insisted on asking if I did every single window in turn, even the one above the extension ect.  It took almost as long to get paid as it did to do the job.  Dropped her and told her the reason why, her face was a picture when she realized that I was my own boss not her.

As for giving a customer too many concessions ie lowering the price and frequency of cleans, I think thats making a rod for your own back.  The customer needs to know that you work on your own terms not theirs.

Simon.

Pureandclean

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:33:59 pm »
Lady rang up a couple of weeks ago, asked if I could do her windows, so I said I would call around to give price, she said any idea how much, and I gave her a rough price, at which she said that's great, call round anytime and do them.
 Well I am over-booked like you don't know, but I decided to squeeze her in, last thing friday night, just before having me tea.
Did the windows, old dear walking past asked for a quote for a conservatory roof clean, next door neighbour out in back garden, side gate is locked, no problem split ladders in half and step over, clean back, pack up and get some tea. Not in when I go round collecting.
Next week she rings up, as I am cutting my hedge at home, about to give me a hard time for not turning up, I said we have already done the windows, friday afternoon
She says...you can't have the gate was locked
me says, I have cleaned them, we stepped over your gate using our ladders.
she says...I am not being funny but...
I says...you are being funny, this is not a very good start, is it, you ring up, ask for a price, say that's great, come around anytime, which I do, and now you don't believe me when I tell you I have cleaned the windows,I have put a windows cleaned note through, your next door neighbour was out in her garden, and you don't believe me, and are calling me a liar.
Well forget it, put a cheque in the post and find someone else.

Over the years, when I have trained up lads to clean windows, I always tell them, if some one on your round spoils your day, get rid of them, they are not worth it.

Well this lady rang back about half an hour later to apologise, but I was still annoyed at her, so she will still be looking for another window cleaner

Lizzy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:15:48 pm »
I'm grateful none of you are my window cleaners! 

People can make mistakes......and they dont realise things like access problems etc.  They have to be told.   Some of the comments on here I understand the need for dropping them, but others, well, I think some ought to get off their high horses and come back down to earth a bit.   Your in a customer services environment.   Sometimes we have to take a little banter & some misunderstandings.   Your not irreplacwable!   I'mm not having a go at anyone, its just that I sometimes cannot believe what I see & read on here and in real life.   
I have built my businesses up by focusing on customer services and making EACH customer feel special.   Theres millions of people supplying what I supply.  My unique selling point is my customer services.

I have a fab window cleaner.  He phones the night before & I leave the money for him & make them tea if I am home.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

LWC

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 12:06:08 am »
People can make mistakes......and they dont realise things like access problems etc. They have to be told. Some of the comments on here I understand the need for dropping them, but others, well, I think some ought to get off their high horses and come back down to earth a bit. Your in a customer services environment. Sometimes we have to take a little banter & some misunderstandings. Your not irreplacwable! I'mm not having a go at anyone, its just that I sometimes cannot believe what I see & read on here and in real life.

you do have a point lizzy, im no mugg, but i try to take things on the chin. like i said here http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=38108.0

i never get angry at them, just kill em with kindness. after all this is my name and buisness, i do the best job and offer the best service, word spreads quickly "that window cleaner told me where to go" whatever the circumstances coud mean you not getting any more work

just my 2 pence worth

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 12:45:00 am »
You make a good point Lizzy.

In thirty years in this trade I've had plenty of occasions when I could have fallen out with a custy, but I've had very few actual altercations.

I find that when someone has the humility to apologise when they realise they are wrong, they often make a good custy after that. I also have numerous custies that other w/cleaners have discarded because they wouldn't accept an apology.

One elderly lady was distraught when her window cleaner (a pal of mine) refused to go back and accept an apology for a sharp word spoken because she was in severe pain with two sceptic fingers when he called and left a bit more soapy water than he usually did. She was a faithful customer of mine for many years after that up until she died a few years back. She often used to say it was sad how he wouldn't accept an apology.

One thing I don't like is having to leave a bad scene without resolving it, though sometimes you have to.

I'm also not above apologising if I'm in the wrong. This too has had some good results in the past.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:28:56 am »
Just wondered if anyone has had cross words with a customer.

Ever told them to p**s off or "go & find another window cleaner, I won't be back"?

What was your reason for the argument?

Let's hear your story's.

Matthew

Yes.  I did the the job for £6,50 for ages.  It was well underpriced.  One day he gave me a fiver and asked for change.  I queried it (politely).  He called me a robber.  I told him to get some other mug to clean for him and I said it with anger.

Clear Vision

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:26 am »
Some good ones there.

Unfortunately I cant add any input to this one as I've never had a fall out. (YET ;D)

All I can say is that if the situation ever arises try and stay cool.

Unfortunately this is true but bad news travels faster than good. You don't want to ruin your name ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 10:38:21 am »
I'm grateful none of you are my window cleaners! 

People can make mistakes......and they dont realise things like access problems etc.  They have to be told.   Some of the comments on here I understand the need for dropping them, but others, well, I think some ought to get off their high horses and come back down to earth a bit.   Your in a customer services environment.   Sometimes we have to take a little banter & some misunderstandings.   Your not irreplacwable!   I'mm not having a go at anyone, its just that I sometimes cannot believe what I see & read on here and in real life.   
I have built my businesses up by focusing on customer services and making EACH customer feel special.   Theres millions of people supplying what I supply.  My unique selling point is my customer services.

I have a fab window cleaner.  He phones the night before & I leave the money for him & make them tea if I am home.

Sounds like you're a good reliable customer.  However, if a customer needs me to phone the night before then I don't take the job on.  If you had been through some of the stuff I went through due to pre-arranging, you would understand why I take this view.  I don't mind doing it for a first clean or for an occasional, exceptional circumstance but not as a run of the mill thing.  Maybe if a job was a VERY large one but noit otherwise.

pjulk

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 11:47:18 am »
I have told a customer to get lost politely

I had one a couple of years back now she asked me if i can do her gutters this was in december and i said yes but not till after xmas as im to busy.
She said ok.
About a week after xmas i popped round to let her know when i will do her gutters and she came out swearing at me and said that it should have been done by now and if i don't do it by tomorrow she will get her son to do it.

I said hang on there a minute i said after xmas as i am to busy comming up to xmas.
She said i waited in boxing day for you and you didn't turn up its not good enough( She was swearing in that sentence)

I said i didn't tell you i was going to do them boxing day i said after xmas and i turned up today to let you know when i am going to do them.

Anyway she still went on swearing like mad.
Well she got me fumming and i started having a go at her and then she shut up.
She then goes right i want you round here tomorrow morning to clean them.
I just wanted to get away by then and said ok.
I didn't turn up i never intended to not after her mouth.

Anyway she collared me in the street a few months later and as soon as i seen her i said no i am not doing any work for you before you ask and she walked away.

A few months later i had Mr Coleman with me ( The Shiner on here) and i think she though it was someone else but as soon as she seen me she said O its you.
I can't remember if i said anything but she turned round and walked off.

She has rang me several times since finding my number in the parish mag but each time i just tell her NO.

Paul

Lizzy

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 01:34:12 pm »
Shiner.......just so you know.....the phone calls are not required by me. Its how my window cleaner operates.  It also means his payment is ready waiting for him, along with a nice cuppa if I'm home!
My window cleaner is brilliant.   I try to look after him by paying regularly & always double up on the bill at Xmas as his tip for being a loyal contractor.  In return, I get a prompt service, am never let down and hes regular.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Helen

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 05:24:06 pm »
I think the point here is not what is said, but how it is said..... Although the public attitude about our industry has changed there are still many out there that see window cleaners as the lowest of the low and chancers, therefore, you only have to do something a little out of the order and they spark into "you are trying to rip me off" mode. Yes we can all have off days (customers have them too) and that has to be taken into consideration. but no-one has the right to be rude and abusive to anyone else whatever their percieved social standing. We will stand up for our own corner in situations like this, but will not argue and will not be brought down to the level of those throwing accusations. One situation springs to mind, the customer in question had been on the books for approx 2 years and month by month was becoming more hard to handle. you know the usual, "i don't like water left on the patio" I don't likes dents left by the ladders in my grass" i don't want you to use wfp on the downstairs, but i don't want you to stand on the borders either!Was cleaning one day and she had decorators in aswell and she was giving them hell. Suddenly the front door opens and she comes out at 100mph shouting and screaming that we had dragged the hose across the paintwork of her BMW. We hadn't. Now if she had come out and said "please mind the car", that would have been different, it was the attitude of "your so thick you would drag the hose across the paintwork of a car!!!!" We explained that we hadn't, but if she felt the car was at threat then would she kindly move it for is?No answer and she went in and closed the door, we finished the job, knocked for payment, got it thrown at us. We never returned as we don't expect to be treated like that and we won't be.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 05:48:15 pm »
... and hes regular.
Do you feed him prunes?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 05:51:45 pm »
Shiner.......just so you know.....the phone calls are not required by me. Its how my window cleaner operates.  It also means his payment is ready waiting for him, along with a nice cuppa if I'm home!
My window cleaner is brilliant.   I try to look after him by paying regularly & always double up on the bill at Xmas as his tip for being a loyal contractor.  In return, I get a prompt service, am never let down and hes regular.

OK.  I'm surprised that a window cleaner chooses to operate that way.  It seems quite funny that he chooses to work in a way that I try to avoid   :)  .
It sounds to me like he may be part-time because it's easier to manage things his way if there are less customers.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 05:55:22 pm »
I have told a customer to get lost politely

I had one a couple of years back now she asked me if i can do her gutters this was in december and i said yes but not till after xmas as im to busy.
She said ok.
About a week after xmas i popped round to let her know when i will do her gutters and she came out swearing at me and said that it should have been done by now and if i don't do it by tomorrow she will get her son to do it.

I said hang on there a minute i said after xmas as i am to busy comming up to xmas.
She said i waited in boxing day for you and you didn't turn up its not good enough( She was swearing in that sentence)

I said i didn't tell you i was going to do them boxing day i said after xmas and i turned up today to let you know when i am going to do them.

Anyway she still went on swearing like mad.
Well she got me fumming and i started having a go at her and then she shut up.
She then goes right i want you round here tomorrow morning to clean them.
I just wanted to get away by then and said ok.
I didn't turn up i never intended to not after her mouth.

Anyway she collared me in the street a few months later and as soon as i seen her i said no i am not doing any work for you before you ask and she walked away.

A few months later i had Mr Coleman with me ( The Shiner on here) and i think she though it was someone else but as soon as she seen me she said O its you.
I can't remember if i said anything but she turned round and walked off.

She has rang me several times since finding my number in the parish mag but each time i just tell her NO.

Paul

Whenever that conversation pops into my head I chuckle.  The woman started to approach me to ask me for a quote (presumably) when Paul G was showing me the ropes with WFP.  Anyway, then Paul G pops his head around the corner and in a rather disappointed tone she said something like "Oh.  It's you".

Lizzy

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 06:15:36 pm »
... and hes regular.
Do you feed him prunes?

LOL   

OK. I'm surprised that a window cleaner chooses to operate that way. It seems quite funny that he chooses to work in a way that I try to avoid :) .
It sounds to me like he may be part-time because it's easier to manage things his way if there are less customers.

Hes a very busy sucessful full time window cleaner using wfp & a large percentage of his work is industrial.    My window cleaner is amazing.