batterbee

Vauxhall vivaro
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:07:50 pm »
Hi, i am thinking of getting a vivaro and have seen what seems a good buy, however there no history regarding the timing belt, so i was wondering does it have a belt or a chain, and wot intervals should the belt be changed if it has one.

Also if anyone has one is there any common vaults that i should look for.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

John
JB CLEANING SERVICES, NORWICH, NORFOLK.

Paul Coleman

Re: Vauxhall vivaro
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 04:50:56 pm »
Hi, i am thinking of getting a vivaro and have seen what seems a good buy, however there no history regarding the timing belt, so i was wondering does it have a belt or a chain, and wot intervals should the belt be changed if it has one.

Also if anyone has one is there any common vaults that i should look for.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

John

I have the Renault version of this van (the Trafic).
I don't have the service manual to hand right now but the service intervals are 18,000 miles or 2 years - whatever comes first.
Going by memory (and I will need to verify this), the belt or chain needs changing every 54,000 in some versions and 72,000 in others (can't recall which is which).  Basically, if it's still a fair way short of 54,000 miles you should be OK - if you are referring to the 6 speed newer style vans that share their design with the Trafic and the Primastar.  What is the mileage on the vehicle?  I am doing a major sort out in my flat right now.  If you can bear with me several days I'm sure I will come across the paperwork.

Known issues with these vans are the gearboxes (if you mean the 6 speed versions).  There are known issues with a sticky clutch too and the clutch cylinder was changed early on by the previous owner.  My Trafic gearbox went at 39,000 miles (just inside the warranty).  I also needed to replace the washer pump recently (now done 51,000) but that's just one of those things.
I'm not saying they are bad vans.  Although I have known several people have gearbox replacements, and had a main Vauxhall dealer admit the issue to me, I'm sure there are plenty of these vans that don't have this problem.
Regarding the belt or chain (whatever it is), I would say that if there is no record of it having been changed then assume it hasn't been changed.  I know it's not a cheap job but it's major stuff if one breaks on you.
I need to check the interval soon as mine is due a service in 2 - 3,000 miles so I want to know if it is due to be done.
BTW.  My mechanical knowledge is zilch.  The most technical thing I've ever done with a motor is to change the battery so don't go asking me anything tricky   :)

DREAM CLEAN

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:46:08 pm »
bought a brand new one june 05
had electric problems big time with it 6months old
other than that it's a good van.
Goes really well and thrashed by my staff.
It's the renault laguna engine and goes well.
If your close to me come and have a spin in it

Nick

KJG

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
May not bother some, but I found the lack of any arm rest on the drivers door and a pointy gear stick numpty, which digs into your palm, really irritating.

batterbee

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:20:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys it's very much appreciated.

The vivaro I'm interested in is a 1.9 dti, 6 speed, 51 plate, full mot, six months tax only done 74000 miles, fsh and the chap wants £3750 inc vat, so  it sounds a good deal, I'm going to have a look at it on Tuesday will let you know how i got on.

John

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 10:58:27 pm »

The vivaro I'm interested in is a 1.9 dti, 6 speed, 51 plate, full mot, six months tax only done 74000 miles, fsh and the chap wants £3750 inc vat, so  it sounds a good deal, I'm going to have a look at it on Tuesday will let you know how i got on.

John

I don't know about the second hand value of these vans as they get older.  You say that there is FSH with the van but no record of the belt or chain being replaced.  If a receipt cannot be produced to show this work, I reckon you should get it done ASAP after buying it.  Maybe even try to use the cost of this as a bargaining tool.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 11:01:01 pm »
I would be careful with that van if i were you,that`s still cheap for what you`ve described.Try and get every bit of history you can get your hands on and then HPI it.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 02:30:27 pm »
we have also been told gearbox probs with these vans are not uncommon :-\
I been told to much,personaly would not buy one :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:16:15 pm »

John

Here's a suggestion that I can only base on my own experience so may not be worth much.
Try to ensure that the vehicle is cold when you start it up.  First of all, take note of any problem getting it into first.  When pulling away in first, listen for a lowish volume high pitched whine both as you pull away and when the revs get higher in first.  Listen for the same in second at the high end of the revs.  Other gears may not be an issue as first and second are the more vulnerable gears if there is a potential problem (I suppose it's because you change through them more).  Also with the gearbox, stop the van when it is in first and then put it in reverse.  Do it a few times.  Take note of any possible problems getting it into either gear.  Also, look out for any problem with the clutch not disengaging/engaging properly.  Of course look out for all the usual stuff but the above things in particular.
If you are in any doubt after trying the things I've mention re gearbox/clutch, leave well alone.
My description of the issues is limited to my own personal experience and I am describing things that happened not long before the gearbox nearly left me stranded (on New Years Eve '05 of all nights).
I ended up in the dark at a little roundabout in the countryside, in an area I didn't know, unable to get out of a place that felt like somewhere between first gear and neutral.  I ended up switching the ignition off, switching on again, and giving the van some almighty revs which got it unstuck.  I then discovered that I had to start in second.  As I had a full tank of water, I ditched it all down the nearest storm drain to make starting in second easier.  I was going to an Eric Clapton concert in Woking and once I got there I wasn't too bothered if I got home or not that night.  I just didn't want to miss the concert.  Anyway, I spent a week or so starting in second and only half filling my tank before the garage acknowledged it was a warranty job.
Maybe I was just unlucky but I won't be buying another one of them.  Not trusting my van is a horrible place to be but the loan runs until Autumn 2010 and I don't want to get another before I've paid for this one.

batterbee

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 04:46:45 pm »
Hi guys, thanks once again for your input, am know wondering what to do for the best, the van is actually 160 miles from were i live, i will definitely get an hpi check on it tonight and go from there i think.

Shiner you say you wouldn't buy another, is that just based on the gearbox problems or just not that impressed with the van as a whole.

I was actually looking to get a transit when i came across the vivaro on the auto trader site, anyone got any feedback on those, would be very grateful.

Decisions, decisions

John

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 05:26:46 pm »
my pal has Transit no problem ;D not had any bad thoughts on them from any one :)
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 05:34:12 pm »
Hi guys, thanks once again for your input, am know wondering what to do for the best, the van is actually 160 miles from were i live, i will definitely get an hpi check on it tonight and go from there i think.

Shiner you say you wouldn't buy another, is that just based on the gearbox problems or just not that impressed with the van as a whole.

I was actually looking to get a transit when i came across the vivaro on the auto trader site, anyone got any feedback on those, would be very grateful.

Decisions, decisions

John

Saying that I wouldn't buy another is purely based on the gearbox problems.  As a runner, it is really sweet for a diesel powered van.  The acceleration is pretty decent too.  I think you can get them at 80, 100, 140 dci.  I have the 100 dci version. Economically they are OK - not great but not bad but if you ever need any big maintenance done, it can get expensive because some bits need removing to get to other bits.  The Gross Vehicle Weight can vary BTW.  Most are 2.7 tonnes (with a payload of just over a ton) but some, like mine, are GVW of 2.9 tonnes (payload of just over 1200 kg).
As a van I feel that it is OK but I have heard tales of these gearboxes and experienced this myself.  Whatever van you were thinking of buying, you would probably hear from someone who had a bad experience.  It is a fact though that the 6 speed Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar gearboxes do have a higher failure rate at lowish mileages than you would normally expect.  I don't want to put you off.  It may end up being a really nice van that gives you many miles of trouble free (relatively) work.
At 74,000 miles, it should have had a pretty big service recently (around 72,000 miles).  Look out for the paperwork for that.

If you do go to view it, don't think that you should buy it because of all the mileage you have put in to go and view it.  I know it's tempting but it's flawed logic.

telboy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 05:54:31 pm »
I have a Vivaro 1.9 D.I L.W.B.on an 03 plate  Had it 18 months now and have done 25,000  total milage now 47,000 bought it second hand had no problems at all.
Only thing I have had to replace were the brake discs on the first M.O.T. Runs like clockwork so far ;)

steve k

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 05:57:17 pm »
there is different performance/reliability levels dependant on what engine is in the van. If you have a Nissan engine in...as some Vivaros do...you will be a lot better than if it is a vauxhall engine...these had the problems mentioned and Vauxhall started putting in Nissan engines from the Primastar.

batterbee

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 06:19:44 pm »
Well, problem sorted it's SOLD, start looking again i suppose.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

John

vivaro 013

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 07:21:02 pm »
ive got a vauxhall vivaro 1.9dti six speed , on a 03 model , just fitted a new gearbox in it , at a cost of £1500 pounds full services history's with it  , selling it in about 6 weeks if intrested

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 09:45:54 pm »
ive got a vauxhall vivaro 1.9dti six speed , on a 03 model , just fitted a new gearbox in it , at a cost of £1500 pounds full services history's with it  , selling it in about 6 weeks if intrested

I'm not after buying it myself but what mileage had it done when the gearbox needed changing?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 10:02:15 pm »
Well, problem sorted it's SOLD, start looking again i suppose.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

John

Well it saves you from having to make what might have been a difficult decision.

batterbee

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 10:31:17 pm »
Well it saves you from having to make what might have been a difficult decision.

Hi mate, in a way not to bothered, just have to wait for the right van to come along, almost decided to stick looking for a transit, does seem a bit more reliable.

John

steve m

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 10:32:13 pm »
you get problems with all makes of van. I run a van hire co., so I get to hear it all about all vans. At the end of the day get the van serviced regularly, keep the warrentey in place and theres no problem. If the vans too old to have the warrentey in place, make sure you look at the service record closely, and ask for all receipts to see what work has been done