Ched

Re: Which Leisure Battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 07:05:10 pm »
2nd one is rated as a B (capable of higher current demands i.e. electric reel) and 200 cycles so even though it's a slightly lower capacity I would go for the 2nd one.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 08:39:50 pm »
Neither.  Poor quality & not enough cycles.

I'd get something like this:

https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-130ah-leoch-adventurer-agm-leisure-battery-lagm130/

Or wait for Spruce.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 10:59:45 pm »
If you are considering the AGM route then you need to add to your consideration a charger that is suitable to charge AGM batteries.

An AGM battery charger charges the battery at 14.6 to 14.8v. Most standard leisure battery chargers might reach 14.2v so would only charge an AGM battery to around 85%.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

windowswashed

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 05:19:59 am »
12volts x 100amp hours =1200watt hours

Sealed Lead acid discharge safely to 50% without killing the battery

Lithium Phosphate can discharge safely to 10-20% depletion

zesty

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 07:37:12 am »
I’ve always been pleased with banner energy bull, solid battery and good quality.

I’ve tried so many over the years but the banner is worth paying a bit more for.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 08:27:43 am »
Charging habits are the main thing for long battery life. In both vans I use a sterling battery to battery charger to keep topped up during the day & bench in situ using a ctek mxs7 every night.

Bungle

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 09:10:28 am »
I have this charger. Is it suitable for an agm battery?

Sorry Spruce, I forgot to put a link to my charger. It's a ring https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RCB208
We look at them, they look through them.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 10:24:17 am »
I have this charger. Is it suitable for an agm battery?

Ctek say they have an agm charging option. I'm not sure what that means tbh.  Maybe you need to contact Ctek and ask them.
 I would ask what the process is to charge an agm battery. That word option can mean different things.

Bungle

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 01:22:56 pm »
I've modified my post Spruce. I'm not sure what to buy now.
We look at them, they look through them.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 04:04:53 pm »
Your charger appears to be a basic car starter battery charger.  I'm not that familiar with Gel batteries tbh as they aren't very popular.

According to one article I've just read, Gel and AGM batteries have different charging profiles.  Then another article says that Gel and AGM have similar charging profiles. ????

My first thought would be to contact Ring in Leeds and ask them.  My gut tells me that as AGM are much more popular than Gel, it would seem logical to me that they would indicate AGM on their charger instead of the less popular Gel if it was suitable.

My experience with basic chargers is that they will all charge most batteries to a greater or lesser level of charge. So if the charger's output voltage was 14.2v and the AGM needed 14.8v then the charger would still charge the battery enough to start the engine. Using the same charger over a period of time on an AGM battery would eventually 'damage' it.

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 05:24:12 pm »
Your charger appears to be a basic car starter battery charger.  I'm not that familiar with Gel batteries tbh as they aren't very popular.

According to one article I've just read, Gel and AGM batteries have different charging profiles.  Then another article says that Gel and AGM have similar charging profiles. ????

My first thought would be to contact Ring in Leeds and ask them.  My gut tells me that as AGM are much more popular than Gel, it would seem logical to me that they would indicate AGM on their charger instead of the less popular Gel if it was suitable.

My experience with basic chargers is that they will all charge most batteries to a greater or lesser level of charge. So if the charger's output voltage was 14.2v and the AGM needed 14.8v then the charger would still charge the battery enough to start the engine. Using the same charger over a period of time on an AGM battery would eventually 'damage' it.

I don’t under all to be honest but was talking to my electrician friend about this the other day he said the difference in  the charge rate between the two battery s is 14:2  and 14:8 so the AGM battery would only be charged to 85% of its total capacity , so it’s constantly not fully charged , so in effect each day the battery is
Being used it’s never full capacity

Simon Trapani

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 10:13:08 pm »
My ctek mxs7’s charge ours fine. Here’s the instructions:

https://docs.rs-online.com/b54b/0900766b81270566.pdf

Spruce

Re: Which Leisure Battery? New
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 06:18:06 am »
My ctek mxs7’s charge ours fine. Here’s the instructions:

https://docs.rs-online.com/b54b/0900766b81270566.pdf

Thanks for that link. I briefly looked for a manual online but couldn't find one.

Chargers that charge AGM batteries don't seem to be advertised much.

The question of AGM battery suitability for window cleaners comes up from time to time on the forums, but I've never found a charger for them when I've looked.
Thanks.

For me, I have a Sterling DC to DC bb1260 on the van. My Numax leisure battery charger isn't suitable for charging an AGM battery, but if I connect my charger up before the Sterling unit, then the Sterling unit will boost the charging voltage to suit whatever battery I have, be it AGM,  lithium or a normal lead acid battery.