Oliver James

How to make your business EASY, LUCRATIVE AND FUN!
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:14 am »
I'm getting a price from our development team on the software build.

The goal is to save every window cleaner that uses the software AT least an hour a week and, over the course of 24 months, to be able to easily refine their rounds so that they can increase their profit margins by at least 20%.

It seems that what you want is route optimisation, auto-debt chasing, and auto-bank reconciliation.

Here are all the options: Please let me know if there any ideas here that you love (or hate!).

ROUTE OPTIMISER

AUTO-DEBT CHASING: All Debt chasing texts and emails to be sent out automatically.  Automatically send continual debt reminders to customers, send them hard copy documents (stored as templates) after a period of time and not let them apear on the round again if they still owed you money and so on.

BANK RECONCILIATION: Is anyone else finding reconciling a nightmare as their bank payments are often not the names they signed up with?

PROFIT MARGIN ON EACH JOB: Shows how much profit you make on each job, based on timings for each job and how much it costs you to run your vans per hour.

AUTOMATIC PRICE RISE: You can send price rise emails and texts from the software, and the software automatically updates the prices at the same time.

IF USING A CARD READER THEN THIS IS LINKED TO THE BOOKS. NO MANUAL INPUT OF PAYMENT. The payment card reader is be linked directly to the books, so you are not manually inputting payment from card customers.

CARD SCANNING BY PHONE: No card reader, the mobile ‘phone scans the customers payment card.

JOB NOTES: It is visible on the job notes, and the job notes are divided into the following sections: Instructions from customer. Access Clear: Yes / No. Size of House, and wether it has a conservatory / extension.

PRICING MENU: The software puts a pricing menu onto your website OR it provides you with a web address with a pricing page on it. When you are at work / at the weekends you can leave a message on your voicemail / set up an auto-responder on your email directing customers to this pricing menu. This will save you from a) Having to go out and do quotes, b) having to pick up the phone when you are out cleaning windows

AUTO CUSTOMER DATA INPUT: Customers can input their details directly into your rounds (as long they as they are on-profile for you). There would be a booking button so that customers can book you as their window cleaner from your website OR from a web page that we supply you. You ask the customers these questions (plus any other questions you want to ask).

Do you want a one off or regular?
Does your home have clear, open air access to the back via a garden gate?
Does your home have a conservatory?
Does your home have an extension with more than 3 windows?
Type of home?
How many bedrooms
Name / address / postcode
Mobile number
Do you want us to send you a text notification the evening before so that you know we are on our way.

The benefits of the book now button is that:
a)   You can leave details of the ‘book now’ page on your voicemail so that customers can sign up for window cleaning when you are working, and you don’t have to answer the ‘phone to take enquiries when you are work.
b)   It will ensure that any customers you sign up will be ‘on profile’ for you and your business.
c)   Customers that are ‘on profile’ get booked directly onto the rounds or onto a ‘new work’ worksheet so you don’t have to manually input the customers data.

The mobile app has the option to book ‘on profile’ customers directly onto the rounds so you can take bookings when you are out working.

AUTO-SYNCING: Sends out an email to customers who you've done the first clean Not In Round Order. In other words, if you do the work on a six weekly basis, and you've done the first clean two weeks after the van is usually in that area, then that means that your customer is going to wait 4 weeks plus six weeks = 10 weeks for their second clean. So the auto-sync function sends out an email to the customer after six weeks explaining that it will be another 4 weeks until the van is in their area, and the reason for this because we work by postcode area, and their home needs to 'synchronise' with the rest of the round.

REPORTING DASHBOARD: Business information dashboard, so you can see the following metrics on your busineses performance:
Average Job Value
Complaints
Complaints: With complaints it a) logs them and dates them automatically in the customers record so that the complaint details are the first thing that the team member sees when he/she arrives at the property. b) It flags up customers who have records of making more than 2 complaints so that you can take action.
Delivery (how many days early / late you are in delivering the service, with a searchable history on this)
Productivity: How much you / your team are billing per hour on different jobs eg. Fascia / window cleaning / first cleans / gutter cleaning etc
No Shows: Log of when you’ve notified a customer that you are going to do the work, but the van does not turn up
Customer retention rates. How many customers are leaving. 
Access Issues: Logs customers that are not giving access, and it flags up these jobs so the window cleaner can take action.

AUTOMATIC TRANSFER TO GO CARDLESS. You can send an email from the software, without having to go through Mail Chimp, to all customers that have not signed up to Go Cardless. The system can automatically offer a £5 credit to all customers that sign up to Go Cardless. Can also send an email to all non-Go Cardless customers on submission of the worksheet, asking them to sign up for direct debit, and automatically crediting their account if they sign up to direct debit.

AUTOMATIC WELCOME EMAIL on sign up, explaining how the service works and stating any terms and conditions.

AUTOMATIC FIRST CLEAN FOLLOW UP. After a first clean, it automatically sends a first clean follow up to check that the window customer is happy with the standard of the work, states that the window cleaner welcomes any feedback, either good or bad, and encourages them to leave a google review.

AUTOMATIC UPSELL. An email to all customers who have not signed up to annual gutter cleans / fascia cleans etc, asking them to sign up to annual gutter / fascia cleans and doing this in the system automatically. Only goes out to customers with clear, open air access to the back via a garden gate.

DELIVERY MONITOR: How many days late / early you are over time. Based on this information, you can start to 'let go' of less profitable customers as soon as it becomes clear that your round is growing to such a size that it is possible to refine out customers who are not working for you in terms of being profitable.

ROUND REFINER: Flags up customers who repeatedly “Not Today”, or who repeatedly deny access. It flags these jobs, so that these are the first jobs that you 'let go of', when you have enough work.

AUTO ‘ON OUR WAY’: On completion of the previous job, it sends a text to the customer confirming that we are on our way. Has a manual over-ride in case the window cleaner wants a break before getting to the next job. Has an opt out so that customers can opt out of this text.

Lee Pryor

Re: How to make your business EASY, LUCRATIVE AND FUN!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:25 am »
All sounds good.

I hope you have lots of money.

Before using cleaner planner I visited several bespoke software development compaines (3) and all the conversations started at £25,000 just to get the ball rolling never mind the things you have listed there. From my experience of this I would estimate that  something like cleaner planner would have cost at least £100,000!
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Oliver James

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:36 am »
Yes, you're right, development is expensive.

Do you think I'm right with the features on the initial build? ie.

Profit Margin Per Job,  Auto-debt chasing,  Auto-reconcile and Optimisation?

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:14 am »
Don't know a lot about setting up n running apps, but 😂😂 I did watch the apprentice a while ago and a young woman wanted help with her business and setting up an app and the money required to do so and,,,,,,,, it's several years before you start to see a return on that investment as well. (as I understood it)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Granny

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 02:13:34 pm »
It already is Easy, Lucrative and Fun!
I go out clean windows, come home, get paid, simple.
Hate to burst your bubble Oliver but maybe a quick read here before you continue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep

Thr-windowcleaning

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »
Definitely interested.  What kind of charge monthly are you aiming for?

Oliver James

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 04:05:22 pm »
Granny,

Thank you for the heads up about 'Feature Creep' - much appreciated.

That is why we are going for a basic version to start with: It will do the same as CP / Aworka / George / Window Cleaner Pro, but have features (yet to be decided) that are going to make life a lot easier.

Would JUST Auto-Debt Chase be enough to make you interested, or would you need to see  Auto-Reconcile / Route Optimisation / Job Profit Margin Calculator?

Or is there something else that you do in your business that is manual and repetitive  and where innovative software could take some of the strain?

Oliver James

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:15:56 pm »
Thr-windowcleaning, thank you for asking.

Right now we are at the stage of finding out exactly what the window cleaning community wants from software.

Once we've got an idea of what would work for window cleaners, we will get costings on the build, and then build a business model with costings. Obviously it needs to be competitively priced.

Two things. For the first part of the build, we think that what window cleaners want is as follows:

1. Auto-debt chase
2. Route optimisation
3. Automatic Bank Reconciliation
4. Job Profit Margin Calculator

Have we got the priority right here, or is there something else that you want?

Secondly, we are looking for beta testers, so let me know if you are interested and I'll add you to the list.

deeege

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:24:03 pm »
No offence mate but I think you are seriously over complicating things here.

Maybe some real market research will tell you the same rather than just a couple of people’s opinions off the forum.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Oliver James

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 04:40:28 pm »
Thanks Deege,

Just to be clear, initial the build will do all the things that window cleaning software does now, and with 3 extra features.

Window cleaners are showing an interest in Route Optimisation and Auto Debt Chasing.  For the third feature we need to decide on wether it is going to be Auto Bank Reconciliation OR Job Profit Margin.

First Question: If it could feature either Auto Bank Reconciliation OR Job Profit Margin, which would you choose?

Second Question:
From the other potential features listed below, are there any that you are seriously interested in using?

CARD READER LINKED TO SOFTWARE
CARD SCANNING BY PHONE CAMERA
CUSTOMER SEGMENTATION USING JOB NOTES (You can pull up a list of customers who HAVEN'T booked annual gutter cleaning / annual fascia cleans, and then send them marketing materials to encourage them to sign up, with one click.)
PRICING MENU
AUTO NEW CUSTOMER DATA INPUT
AUTO-SYNCING
REPORTING DASHBOARD
AUTOMATIC T's and C's for new customers
DELIVERY MONITOR
ROUND REFINER
AUTO 'ON OUR WAY'

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 04:53:44 pm »
Is this going to be another Cloud based system that is again reliant on someone else's server reliabillity?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

David Beecroft

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 05:01:03 pm »
We’ll I’m in!! Just add a feature that it cleans the windows as well. 😂

John Mart

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 05:03:54 pm »
Are you giving up window cleaning?

Bungle

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 05:29:44 pm »
Deffo interested 👍
We look at them, they look through them.

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 06:49:34 pm »
Not really sure how much use can be given to route optimisation, if a window cleaner is not savvy enough to be able to work out a "best solution" ,route, then surely he ought to be looking at another line of business, Most of the other suggestions play well in a virtual reality world but your target market may not be so keen when they learn they will have to spend a month at a computor data entering, adreses's,emails,postcodes,phone numbers,frequncy of visits, Bank details, etc,etc....
In the harsh reality of the real world,most can and do get by without a quarter of this work, infact a pencil and notebook is the preferred choice of a majority.
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 07:01:14 pm »
very little interest from me as i already have cleaner planner which does everything to keep me organised,scheduled and up to date ........

very minimal admin (or collecting these days),couple that with electric reels,xtreme poles and hot water and i think ive died and gone to WINDOW CLEANING HEAVEN!! 8)

never had it so good in this game.....
price higher/work harder!

Oliver James

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
The Jester: Good point: Will investigate back up options so that we are not reliant on one server.

8 weekly: I would find it hard to give up window cleaning completely.

Philip: I spoke during the summer with a window cleaner with a round established for over 30 years and taking over £450 a day and home by 1pm. Still doing pencil and paper.

Bungle and David Beecroft: Thank you for the votes of confidence. Out of all the features I've mentioned: What are your top three?

Bungle

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 07:15:38 pm »
The Jester: Good point: Will investigate back up options so that we are not reliant on one server.

8 weekly: I would find it hard to give up window cleaning completely.

Philip: I spoke during the summer with a window cleaner with a round established for over 30 years and taking over £450 a day and home by 1pm. Still doing pencil and paper.

Bungle and David Beecroft: Thank you for the votes of confidence. Out of all the features I've mentioned: What are your top three?

You want me to read through all that again? 🤪
We look at them, they look through them.

Slacky

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 07:32:55 pm »
No offence mate but I think you are seriously over complicating things here.

Maybe some real market research will tell you the same rather than just a couple of people’s opinions off the forum.

Exactly.

mop-n-scrim

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:37 pm »
it would be of interest to me & my business/franchisees'.

Although we have no need for route optimisation. 
Transfer of all records across would be of major importance, as last time I migrated to new software, although the customers were migrated across,  it took weeks to transfer the in & outgoings, so that we had up to date records.
I don't know if I would ever have the time or patience to go through that again. :-\ :'(