John Mart

Re: Wages of sin and modern slavery
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 08:33:02 am »

i know tosh.....lots more asians and polish have moved into my little town over the last 10 years...we ve even got a polish supermarket now.....

Similar story here, but with internal migration pressures on top.  They're reducing the Severn Bridge tolls to zero (it joins England and Wales), so we're swamped with Bristolians moving over to here because of the cheaper house prices, but it's forcing ours up and it's expected to keep on increasing to 2021.

What could've bought you a 3 bed semi 10 years ago, won't buy you a 1 bedroomed flat now.  Yet due to mass immigration, wages for the past decade have been stagnant.
My niece is one of them.  ;D

Missing Link

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 08:50:55 am »
Still, the foreigners haven't stopped you earning more than ever, eh?

Well it's not just about me, but I think window cleaners are 'lucky'.  It takes some years to build a decent round, good English is important when dealing with customers too.  Educated EU types with good English won't consider window cleaning.

Badly educated EU types, with lesser English skills will go the hand car washing route.

So I think as a demographic, self-employed window cleaners are relatively untouched. 

I've a mate who owns several properties around Chepstow; he's put his rents up across the board.

High migration is certainly benefiting him, but for those who rent or looking to get on the housing market, coupled with a decade of wage stagnation; it can't be much fun.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 08:53:38 am »
theres a food bank down the road from me now so no one needs to go hungry even if their on a very low wage.....

Food banks have been booming in the past few years.

We've also had a decade of extremely high migration which has depressed wages...

https://news.sky.com/story/firms-in-brexit-supply-shock-as-eu-workers-stay-away-11471461

i know tosh.....lots more asians and polish have moved into my little town over the last 10 years...we ve even got a polish supermarket now.....

on the plus side we re overrun with corner shops, barbers shops,kebab shops and cheap car washes..... ;D

spoilt for choice now! ;D
Still, the foreigners haven't stopped you earning more than ever, eh?

no they havent....they dont do window cleaning thank god! ::)roll ;D
price higher/work harder!

Missing Link

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 08:57:42 am »

Builders on the other hand... :'(
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

John Mart

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 09:44:50 am »

Are there a lot of builders at your foodbank then? Every tradesperson we've used has been English. Most of the low skilled Eastern Europeans round here seem to be Amazon delivery drivers. English people don't tend to want jobs like that. Mostly, they tend to be doing jobs that we won't do.

windowswashed

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 05:51:23 pm »
Exeter is flooded with polish window cleaners

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 06:25:47 pm »
the mainly posh areas i work probably wouldnt have these immigrants cleaning their windows....they can be a stuffy bunch sometimes in cheshire... ::)roll

its took me many years to build up trust and a good reputation in these areas as well as quality work.....

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 06:30:13 pm »

Are there a lot of builders at your foodbank then? Every tradesperson we've used has been English. Most of the low skilled Eastern Europeans round here seem to be Amazon delivery drivers. English people don't tend to want jobs like that. Mostly, they tend to be doing jobs that we won't do.

i agree.....lots of parcel delivery drivers i meet while im working are not from the UK.......