Stoots

Hi mod poles
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:11:43 am »
I know this topics rehashed

But what do you guys who have used high mod poles, xtremes etc think of them overall?

Obviously they will be lighter, stiffer and easier to work that's quite obvious

But how long do they really last ? And do they offer a good benedit it terms of value for money?

I think I will try one next, either a phantom or extreme but they are expensive, which is fine but so they last long enough or are they fragile items that will be knackered in a year?

I would like to get 2 years out of one, is that feasible?

paul alan

Re: Hi mod poles
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:30 am »
I bought an extreme 18, it has lasted for around 6-8 months with no problems at all.

I must admit I don't carry out maintenance either.

It is very rigid and a pleasure to use, I can't see it breaking anytime soon.

I still use my slx day to day, but when I work alone I use the extreme. It is a pleasure.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:50 am »
I know this topics rehashed

But what do you guys who have used high mod poles, xtremes etc think of them overall?

I prefer an extreme over an SLX overall as an owner operator. 

Obviously they will be lighter, stiffer and easier to work that's quite obvious

Noticeably so - even worth it at short (18-20-22-25) lengths.

But how long do they really last ? And do they offer a good benedit it terms of value for money?

I bought mine (extreme) in March 2017 and I run it as an "extreme 20" for every day two storey work - this is the top four sections of a 25 which have a longer closed length than the 18/22 but being only 4 sections are incredibly light and the 2ft over the 18 is well worth it. It is more fragile than an SLX and I think it will wear quicker.  I had a break in the top section when it fell on the corner of a wall within two weeks of owning it - I lost three inches and so it is actually an "SLX extreme -  19 and three quarters!"

I am more careful closing windows with it than I would be with an SLX.

This past weekend I fitted a new clamp kit (It is now 1 year 8 months old) and stripped it down for a clean and polish as I hope to get three years from it. I believe it would have got me to the two year point but this will give me an extra year.

I think I will try one next, either a phantom or extreme but they are expensive, which is fine but so they last long enough or are they fragile items that will be knackered in a year?

(See above post comment)

I would like to get 2 years out of one, is that feasible?

Yes but ... if it snaps then you will need a new section at over £100 a pop!

In short - I would not give it to a staff member to use. For me as a late 50's owner operator it is perfect.

A note about my extreme 47. (old type) That works very well - I have had it over five years and obviously it only gets brought out for high reach stuff which is about 10% of my work. I had the top section snap after 5 years ( so I suppose it is now only an extreme 45 and a half!) when I left it propped up and it fell - but only from 20ft  - after cleaning some dormers.
It's a game of three halves!

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 08:51:46 am »
its very hard to go back to the SLX range after using xtremes day in /day out....ive never snapped an SLX section but snapped 3 xtreme sections on various poles...i think the latest xtreme V3 is the best xtreme to date.......im hoping to get 2 years out of it.......

xtreme 25        main pole
xtreme 47        high level pole
CLX 4                  van washing pole

SLX 25              emergency pole
SLX 24              spare pole(originally a 22 with  an extra base section added)

ive also got an old cobbled together xtreme 25 thats very worn! ;D

ive heard of a window cleaner on here who uses 3 SLX sections(top thinnest sections)and then 2 xtreme sections(base and 4th sections)so the pole is slightly heavier but stronger.i think ill try this when this pole wears out(its always the top 3 sections that go first).....

price higher/work harder!

Walter Mitty

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:27 am »
When I had an xtreme, I used another pole for closing windows first as I took on board the warnings about pushing windows shut and breaking it.
I think it's a good idea to carry a spare pole in case of mishap, whatever you're using as a main pole.  I carry an ancient Ionics fibre glass pole around as a spare.  I don't rate it as a pole, but at least I can still work if I break a section.  It's got me out of a hole a couple of times down the years.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:12:34 am »
My current main pole is an SLX 27 (I remove a section on days I won't need it).  It's like Trig's broom.  I think there are bits of four poles in it if you count cannibalised locking nuts and clamp replacements.   It works just fine.
When I scrap a pole I always remove potentially useful bits from it (levers, bolts, end caps etc).  Apart from saving a few quid, it means stuff doesn't go to landfill as soon.

zesty

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:41:28 am »
I’ve had my xtreme 47 for nearly 2 years.

I take sections off and use it as an everyday pole, adding sections when needed.

It’s still going strong, although I did replace the first two sections after around 14 months. The old sections are now ‘spare’ as they’re still usable, they were just wearing out a bit.

I don’t really do any maintenance on it though, and it’s the only pole I use.

I would recommend an xtreme pole for ease of use and speed. It’s second to none.

The other thing is I always need (or want) to do is bring my tax bill down, so I don’t mind spending out on an xtreme pole.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:17 am »
Cheers chaps.

I guess I should try one then

I think I would get a 22, a 25 would just be extra length not needed on most jobs and it wouldn't be long enough on some.

I currently have a 18 slx and a clx 27. The slx is great at that length but I find I use the clx half a dozen times a day and it's heavy at full length.

I also have an old slx 22 really worn and a hybrid 22.

No this pe would be for me working on my own, no staff will ever touch an extreme!

zesty

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:03:17 am »
Cheers chaps.

I think I would get a 22, a 25 would just be extra length not needed on most jobs and it wouldn't be long enough on some.

I currently have a 18 slx and a clx 27. The slx is great at that length but I find I use the clx half a dozen times a day and it's heavy at full length.

No this pe would be for me working on my own, no staff will ever touch an extreme!

Gomo, why not go for the 25 xtreme, it would be then be useable for almost all your day to day work...

mufcglen

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 02:07:14 pm »
I use xtreme22 for everyday work, wasn’t sure about the double slx price and the stories of snapping sections but this v3 I’ve had since January and I’ve kept on top of it cleaning it every few weeks and retaping the stops every month or so and it’s worn really well 11 months on.
I would never go back to slx and I found my body feels better than ever and I’ve definately made more money from staying out more not being tired so its paid for itself over and over easily.
I believe v1 and v2 were shockers but looks like Alex G got it nailed with v3 xtreme👌

Stoots

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 02:31:46 pm »
Cheers chaps.

Gomo, why not go for the 25 xtreme, it would be then be useable for almost all your day to day work...

I think the 25 extreme will be heavier than my 18 slx so may defeat the purpose.

My 18slx covers 80% of work, a 22 would cover 95% a 25 would cover maybe 98% a 27 99% and a 30 100%

22 would make most sense I think for an everyday pole then keep my 27 for the odd house, would be the odd house as well. Maybe 10  houses max I need more than 22

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 03:15:00 pm »
the thing is adam you dont want to be using an xtreme 22 at full extension all the time either...id go for the 25 footer any day of the week....its still light as a feather.......

jonboywalton75

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »
Benefits of a 22 over a 25 is the closed length.
Just a thought for ease of downstairs use

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 03:42:23 pm »
Benefits of a 22 over a 25 is the closed length.
Just a thought for ease of downstairs use

i prefer the 25 as the 22 feels too short to me fully collapsed(i have got  huge long arms though! :P)

windowswashed

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 06:07:28 pm »
Extreme poles are very good for high work with a Ultimate dupont red brush on or even better with an extreme brush . Not the best of poles with a brick of a heavy brush on as poles are easy to snap with a heavy brush or trying to close stiff windows.
Only use mine for 3rd level windows and above, rest of time happiest using normal slx poles as more robust.

zesty

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 06:17:34 pm »
Gomo,

Go for a 25, and take the base section off when not needed, you’ll then have a super Light pole with the option of adding the extra section for 3 story work.

Remember also, it’s the rigidity that makes a huge difference, the weight helps, but the rigidity of xtreme poles is what makes them a joy to use...

p1w1

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 06:21:43 pm »
Gomo,

Go for a 25, and take the base section off when not needed, you’ll then have a super Light pole with the option of adding the extra section for 3 story work.

Remember also, it’s the rigidity that makes a huge difference, the weight helps, but the rigidity of xtreme poles is what makes them a joy to use...
I'd bare in mind though  that the base section is the only section that is  insulated

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 06:24:51 pm »
Gomo,

That would be too much fannying for me mate, adding a section 3-4 times a day...too much hard work  8)

I might get a 25 though, i`ll wait to see if anything comes up on black friday, window cleaning warehouse usually do a sale and a fancy a phantom hi mod- we shall see......

zesty

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:39 pm »
Fair enough mate, to be fair, I have a tubeless setup so it’s really easy to add/take off sections!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 02:35:33 pm »
Yep. I love my "20".

Much lighter than a 22 and fractionally more so than an 18 because it is only 4 sections.

Extreme   18  weight  760g (4 sections x 1.52m)
Extreme "20" weight 860g ( 4 sections x 1.72m
Extreme   22  weight  990g  (5 sections x 1.52m)
Extreme   25  weight  1100g  ( 5 sections x 1.72m)
It's a game of three halves!