Clearview

Black hand
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:19:59 pm »
My six month old carbon pole has just started leaving me with carbon residue on my hands. Its ingrained in the skin & virtually impossible to get off despite scrubbing (I've even tried nail varnish remover!).
Any advice?

P @ F

Re: Black hand
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:39:29 pm »
You could just cut your hand off ✋
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:41:02 pm »
What pole is it ?

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:43:36 pm »
Soak em in the bath.
Or I used sugar and washing up liquid.
Then order some dry ptfe spray and do the poles
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:07:10 pm »
Wear gloves ;)

Clearview

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:20:26 pm »

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:42 pm »
so does my xtreme 25...ive only had it a few months but i dont find it hard to remove the carbon from my hands.i wash my hands before i have my lunch and just after the last job of the day (using hot pure water and liquid soap)if im not wearing gloves....this gets most of the carbon off...the rest comes off with a scrubbing brush when i get home and im in the bath! ;D
price higher/work harder!

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 12:55:17 am »
My SLX must be a year old now , I never get any black at all , but I do clean the pole hose every time it winds in , I also dry PTFE spray the pole every 2 weeks or so , maybe its that ?
Look after ya tools and they will look after you was what my old man battered into me growing up !

colin bird

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 07:19:32 am »
I used to have the same problem,I now wear surgical gloves all year round my hands stay clean and skin stays soft,only down side is your hands sweat in the summer

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:12:18 am »
My SLX must be a year old now , I never get any black at all , but I do clean the pole hose every time it winds in , I also dry PTFE spray the pole every 2 weeks or so , maybe its that ?
Look after ya tools and they will look after you was what my old man battered into me growing up !
nope its not the PTFE spray as i also spray mine regularly and always clean the pole hose when packing away.....i also periodically take the pole apart and flush out with water...

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:21 am »
I used to have the same problem,I now wear surgical gloves all year round my hands stay clean and skin stays soft,only down side is your hands sweat in the summer

the problem with soft hands due to wearing gloves all year round is i get blood blisters when playing drums! ::)roll ;D

i only wear gloves in winter now!

also you end up with white hands in the warm summer months.....

zesty

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:47 am »
Never wear gloves unless it’s really cold, always get carbon on my hands, but it washes if easily enough.

Strange how you find it won’t clean off?

P @ F

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 09:35:04 am »
Maybe it’s a skin type thing ?
Maybe it’s a hard water thing , who has hard water and can’t get it off ?

SB Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 01:52:34 pm »
I got it on my hands the other week took days to come off!!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 04:13:26 pm »
Nitrile dispoable gloves at least in winter when the ground's wet & gritty. Pole tends to be dry in summer so black hands not as bad. As said above, you're hands will sweat in the gloves in the warmer weather making them very uncomfortable I find.

mufcglen

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 06:01:04 pm »
I love the xtreme pole but I get it too due to the carbon wearing, had it with my slx too,  the only thing I found that works for a few days is stripping cleaning and lubricating the pole until it dries out then it starts to wear again.
I’m keeping a close eye on that phantom pole as if what they’re saying about the shims wearing and not the pole sections then in theory there shouldn’t be any carbon wear, if there is then the claim of the shims wearing before the pole is out the window ;D

combat1

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 07:55:44 pm »
Been wearing true touch nitrile gloves but quality is recently rubbish, dont last one job.
Which ones do you guys use?
And where do you get the pole spray.
I am very lucky! Had my slx years and only changed a couple of shims.

hotsteam

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:51 pm »
I thought it was a carbon footprint you are supposed to leave  ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll

Cheers Hotsteam

Clearview

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 08:34:26 pm »

I tried surgical gloves today but they kept tearing because they're so thin. It is a solution of sorts but i can see myself getting through a pack a week,  :-\

Simon Trapani

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 08:49:56 pm »
Been wearing true touch nitrile gloves but quality is recently rubbish, dont last one job.
Which ones do you guys use?
And where do you get the pole spray.
I am very lucky! Had my slx years and only changed a couple of shims.
I tried some slightly cheaper local ones but they didn't last anywhere near as long as the Gardiner ones which are thicker.