trippyboy

New tax year.
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »
This post really is for the one man bands.
What sort of turnover (not profit)figures have you set yourselves for the coming new tax year?
Year on year I've always managed to break the turnover figure for the previous year, personally i would hope to achieve around 56,500 to 57k for 2018 to 2019 accounts.
Last annual increase for me was just over 1.6 k but within that time frame had two more weeks off than the previous year so pretty happy with that.

Marc Stock

Re: New tax year.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:29:07 pm »
Well my turnover last year was £45k

This year I hope to get to at least £57k by May 2019, as far as signups are concerned id like to have my customer list showing around £60k by September, before my final push to 80k.

My customer list is currently approaching 51k

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:45:24 pm »
I don't set targets. I couldn't even tell you how many cutomers I have, nor what I have just turned over for last year!! I do have a great life though!!💪
Comfortably Numb!

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:42 pm »
Im no longer a one man band, i have a 16 hour a week guy but we are not full...

Id rather not say however my forcast customer list is now at 52k  and i fully expect it to be 60k by July.

Not sure how much further i want to go after 60k, been re investing quite heavily this last year.. might have a break for a few months to recover some funds then go for the VAT limit.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:19:49 pm »
Rental payments are a tax deductible expense Adam....

As for sign writing/drilling holes in the van.....course you can as long as you remove the sign writing/fill in the holes when you hand it back(or sell it)....

Road fund licence is included for the first year of a business finance lease contract.....after that it's not so it's the yearly fee plus VAT(which meant mine was an extra £40 a year)
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 09:22:37 pm »
I don't set targets. I couldn't even tell you how many cutomers I have, nor what I have just turned over for last year!! I do have a great life though!!💪

Why would you not know how many customers you have or what your turnover is year on year?do you not keep records?...... ???

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »
As long as my turnover keeps growing im happy with that and dont set any particular goals as such.
But Im lazy when it come to my paper work and so im just writing up all my income mostly for my own records as I list all my customers in my accounting book. I do so according to my rounds or how ive segmented my main round (haha some on here get cofused if talk about rounds within tbe entire round as they call it).  So each year I like to see which round I have developed the most in and use that to target my next marketing campaign in. I also get disheartened sometimes when i see which rounds have decreased due to deaths or move outs and depending if its worth it, I will also target these areas as well.
So fartbis year has been good. No ones died ormoved out, but I have picked up an extra £160 monthly work and £70 bi monthly work without a big push in leaflets.
(however this doesnt mean much to some because of different areas etc ie london prices, but its growth whichever way you look at it)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 09:33:30 pm »
What sort of turnover (not profit)figures have you set yourselves for the coming new tax year?
Year on year I've always managed to break the turnover figure for the previous year, personally i would hope to achieve around 56,500 to 57k for 2018 to 2019 accounts.
Last annual increase for me was just over 1.6 k but within that time frame had two more weeks off than the previous year so pretty happy with that.

Wow we have some proper "Hollywood" one man bands on this forum.....im nowhere near 57k.you must work full time then trippy eh? ;D

Shrek

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:39:45 pm »

Wow we have some proper "Hollywood" one man bands on this forum.....im nowhere near 57k.you must work full time then trippy eh? ;D

300 £16 monthly customers sounds doable

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 09:43:33 pm »

300 £16 monthly customers sounds doable

It sounds easy on paper mate but it doesn't work out like that in real life... ;)

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:47:12 pm »
Your right lol , I couldn’t be arsed doing that much work, window cleaning for me is better in short bursts - I would never want to do an 8 hour shift doing this

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 10:15:27 pm »
yeh, ive only been past 3pm a few times.

Sod that, thats why i took someone on, i want more money but i dont want more hours!

im a greedy/lazy get

trippyboy

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 10:27:35 pm »

Daz a 5 or 6 hour day on the tools is long enough for me at my age, my body ain't what it once was mate, but yes indeed i have built the business whereby i only quote high these days, i never go looking for work it allways comes to me.
This enables me to charge really high prices, if they don't like the quote its no skin off my nose, these days i nail about only 30% of quotes for window cleaning, this gives me quality work or Hollywood work as you say.
I have very few messers, bad payers and low priced stuff these days too.
It's all down to they way you shape and mould your own business i guess.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »

Why would you not know how many customers you have or what your turnover is year on year?do you not keep records?...... ???

The tax year ended yesterday, I haven't totted it up yet. Why do I need to know how many customers I have? I only know it's too many! Unlike most (seemingly) on here, my biggest problem is too much work, too many new enquiries. You can only refine so much, I probably only take on 1 in every 10 enquiries. I also don't do rigid schedules, roughly 7 to 10 weeks is normal for me. Enough good work to just work as much or as little as I like. I find it all very simple and uncomplicated- in fact, I can't think of many things easier- why people insist on complicating and over thinking this game is beyond me!! ;D
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 08:10:25 am »

The tax year ended yesterday, I haven't totted it up yet. Why do I need to know how many customers I have? I only know it's too many! Unlike most (seemingly) on here, my biggest problem is too much work, too many new enquiries. You can only refine so much, I probably only take on 1 in every 10 enquiries. I also don't do rigid schedules, roughly 7 to 10 weeks is normal for me. Enough good work to just work as much or as little as I like. I find it all very simple and uncomplicated- in fact, I can't think of many things easier- why people insist on complicating and over thinking this game is beyond me!! ;D

it beggars believe IMO that you dont know how many customers you have,turnover/profit/expenses etc,etc....... ::)roll

next you ll be telling us you only use a pen and scrap pieces of paper for records and only except cash..... ::)roll ;D

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 08:20:58 am »

Daz a 5 or 6 hour day on the tools is long enough for me at my age, my body ain't what it once was mate, but yes indeed i have built the business whereby i only quote high these days, i never go looking for work it allways comes to me.
This enables me to charge really high prices, if they don't like the quote its no skin off my nose, these days i nail about only 30% of quotes for window cleaning, this gives me quality work or Hollywood work as you say.
I have very few messers, bad payers and low priced stuff these days too.
It's all down to they way you shape and mould your own business i guess.

thats a really good round that mate working on your own....from my estimations you must be averaging around £250-£300 4 or 5 days a week for 46 weeks of the year to hit £57k.......(take off 6 weeks for holidays,xmas,sick days,bad weather days,etc)... :)

well done! :)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 08:22:38 am »

it beggars believe IMO that you dont know how many customers you have,turnover/profit/expenses etc,etc....... ::)roll

next you ll be telling us you only use a pen and scrap pieces of paper for records and only except cash..... ::)roll ;D

Of course I know my turnover and profit you berk!! ::)roll I just don't know it for the last financial year.... which ended 3 days ago. All my records are paper based but a large proportion of my payments are now bank transfers. Why would I need to know how many customers I havd Daz? What would change if I took the time to count them? Would I suddenly become a "business man"? Maybe I could buy a new van with heated seats and repeatedly spew the ins and outs of my personal finances to complete strangers on an open public forum? ;D
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 08:33:18 am »

Of course I know my turnover and profit you berk!! ::)roll I just don't know it for the last financial year.... which ended 3 days ago. All my records are paper based but a large proportion of my payments are now bank transfers. Why would I need to know how many customers I havd Daz? What would change if I took the time to count them? Would I suddenly become a "business man"? Maybe I could buy a new van with heated seats and repeatedly spew the ins and outs of my personal finances to complete strangers on an open public forum? ;D

i just didnt think window cleaners used paper records these days.....what a ballache!its far easier with some sort of round software like george , CP or aworka mate......

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 08:52:36 am »
I have a list of the properties I will clean today, will tick the box when cleaned and tick the box next to that when they have
paid, if only I could find something handier, lol.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:03 am »
I have a list of the properties I will clean today, will tick the box when cleaned and tick the box next to that when they have

Ditto. It takes all of 2 seconds per job and 5 minutes per week to print a new one!! ;D

Comfortably Numb!

nathankaye

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:28 am »
Once a year i write out my books and rule off each month. Then its a simple case of dating and if they pay, i write the amount and if they owe, i write a small "o".
Simples.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Simon Trapani

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 01:48:02 pm »
Dude, you need some round software!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 02:35:47 pm »
I don't because I don't have a schedule!! I also know every job I have and it's price in my head- I just need to look in my diary to which is most over due!!👍
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 02:40:34 pm »
ive used both methods in my 25 years of window cleaning and having round software  is SO MUCH EASIER once you ve inputted all your customers(which is a ballache at first..... granted) ;D

EACH TO THEIR OWN but theres better,easier ways of doing things these days chaps......some of you are stuck in the dark ages.....im surprised you lads have even got a computer/laptop to log in on here with!! ;D ;D

oh and by the way until 2009 i couldnt even work a computer and i myself was stuck in the dark ages too........(before you lads start having a go at me!) ;D ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 03:02:04 pm »
Its all very good but if you dont keep a back up you can loose your data very fast, plus i dont like leaving too much of an electronical trace with all my business on.
Haha and im not that old either, I just think old school is sometimes more appropriate for my way of working.

Its a pain once a year to write out a  book, but thats it for the year then and for taxes, its just a simple case of adding the columns.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »
I have something handier for you Sean, I just put a backward slash ( the opposite of this / ) on my worklist, then when they pay I add a line to the backward slash which in turn makes a tick. Only one tick per customer for me, sod having to make two ticks per customer ;D

Lee GLS

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 06:49:05 pm »
ive used both methods in my 25 years of window cleaning and having round software  is SO MUCH EASIER once you ve inputted all your customers(which is a ballache at first..... granted) ;D

EACH TO THEIR OWN but theres better,easier ways of doing things these days chaps......some of you are stuck in the dark ages.....im surprised you lads have even got a computer/laptop to log in on here with!! ;D ;D

oh and by the way until 2009 i couldnt even work a computer and i myself was stuck in the dark ages too........(before you lads start having a go at me!) ;D ;D

You are right, there are easier ways of doing things...like using a drill to wind in hose reels, or buying an electric reel, it is much easier than doing it by hand, but not everyone thinks it’s better do they Daz?!

Paper = hand winding

Cleaner planner = electric reel.

Get my point  ;D

KS Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:06 pm »
Once a year i write out my books and rule off each month. Then its a simple case of dating and if they pay, i write the amount and if they owe, i write a small "o".
Simples.
Looks like a lot of scattered work there Nathan, I thought your work was all compact? Oh and is that an 8 quidder I see there ;D

p1w1

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 06:58:01 pm »
I have something handier for you Sean, I just put a backward slash ( the opposite of this / ) on my worklist, then when they pay I add a line to the backward slash which in turn makes a tick. Only one tick per customer for me, sod having to make two ticks per customer ;D
thats similar to what i used to do / if they were done and made to an X when payment was made.

nathankaye

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 07:55:06 pm »
Simples.
Looks like a lot of scattered work there Nathan, I thought your work was all compact? Oh and is that an 8 quidder I see there ;D

;D i wasnt gonna show off n post my best work on here, whats the point if that.
This is some work which is on way (just round corner) to the compact work in two cul de sacs
Well done spotting the eight quid for a front clean
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 08:51:26 pm »
I dont use round software because i dont trust modern tech !
I have seen members on here having kittens when george or whatever crashes/doesnt back up , we have 1 desktop , 2 laptops , 5 tablets , 3 iphones , 1 samsung , so its not lack of tech  ;D

It boils down to my new found laid back approach , i take on what i want , get there when i want , charge em what i want  ;D

Good old diary and a pencil is all i need , its all backed up simply by looking 4 weeks previous , usually 28 pages back  ;D ;D ;D 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 09:06:06 pm »
Ooops , spoke too soon , just clicked back to main board and i see a new topic , George problems   ;D ;D ;D

Splash & dash

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 09:09:30 pm »
I have seen members on here having kittens when george or whatever crashes/doesnt back up , we have 1 desktop , 2 laptops , 5 tablets , 3 iphones , 1 samsung , so its not lack of tech  ;D

It boils down to my new found laid back approach , i take on what i want , get there when i want , charge em what i want  ;D

Very true + the monthly payments how long does it take to print off the weeks work sheets . No fear of loosing or having dater hacked how often have people posted on hear about having issues with these software programmes yes it’s the latest way but as for time saving I don’t think there is much in it and you have piece of mind that it won’t get lost freeze or any other issues
Good old diary and a pencil is all i need , its all backed up simply by looking 4 weeks previous , usually 28 pages back  ;D ;D ;D

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 09:17:03 pm »
Mine are just done in MS Word. They are all there already, just have to move a few around to suit any particular week. Sometimes do them for 2 weeks at a time. I very rarely do more than 10 jobs in a day though- with many days less than that. Just quickly record each day in an A4 diary at the end of the day. All done in less time it takes Dazmond to wind his reel in!!👍
Comfortably Numb!

P @ F

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 09:33:55 pm »
^^^^ ;D ;D ;D ;D

P @ F

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 09:38:42 pm »
I hope he dont buy one to be honest , you know how he is , first he will love it , then he will hate it , then it will be a waste of money , then it will be the best thing hes ever bought , apart from the L5 , L10 , Extreme , Extreme hybrid brush , brass elbow !

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sorry Daz   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

P @ F

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 09:41:12 pm »

Very true + the monthly payments how long does it take to print off the weeks work sheets . No fear of loosing or having dater hacked how often have people posted on hear about having issues with these software programmes yes it’s the latest way but as for time saving I don’t think there is much in it and you have piece of mind that it won’t get lost freeze or any other issues

What does it cost for these life saving systems anyway , out of interest ??

G Griffin

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 10:22:38 pm »
Is that a bit of Toby Carvery gravy on your book, Nathan?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:41 pm »
I hope he dont buy one to be honest , you know how he is , first he will love it , then he will hate it , then it will be a waste of money , then it will be the best thing hes ever bought , apart from the L5 , L10 , Extreme , Extreme hybrid brush , brass elbow !

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sorry Daz   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dont worry rich!i wont be buying one(unless i end up disabled!)...... ;D ;D

back on topic, round software has been as revolutionary as WFP and electronic payments in the window cleaning industry IMO for cutting down admin time,paper and ink and its far easier than pen and paper to keep track of earnings/debts and rescheduling work etc......you can also "see" your round in its entirety at any one time which is very handy....

i never thought id say it but having my work on my smartphone has been really great.....much better than messing about with a notepad.....

GlassClean

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 07:17:54 am »
What if you lose your pencil, you’re screwed then huh!

Stoots

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 08:08:38 am »
Hope you don't misplace your book.

Your entire year is gone.

Round software is by far the safest as long as you back it up!

Mine backs up to the cloud, to an external USB and to the hard drive every day.
Every week my laptop files are also backed up automatically to another cloud storage I use.

All of this is done automatically done in seconds.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 08:15:30 am »
Unless my home burns to the ground my records are safe. 👍
Comfortably Numb!

Splash & dash

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 12:04:04 pm »

Every week my laptop files are also backed up automatically to another cloud storage I use.

Is this cloud based storage GDPR compliant ? Is it encrypted? Can it be hacked ? Who else has access to it ? Are you sure that whatever software programme you are using is safe and complient? I won’t name them on hear but there are a couple of firms that I have spoken to weren’t Evan aware of the changes in the law coming in in May doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it

Marc Stock

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »

Is this cloud based storage GDPR compliant ? Is it encrypted? Can it be hacked ? Who else has access to it ? Are you sure that whatever software programme you are using is safe and complient? I won’t name them on hear but there are a couple of firms that I have spoken to weren’t Evan aware of the changes in the law coming in in May doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it

Exactly!

I do not trust these third party companies at all!

I use my own propitiatory database system stored on my local computers hard drive which is backed onto two separate hard drives also.

Stoots

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »

Don't know
Don't know
Don't know
Don't know
Don't know

Don't care  :D

If anyone asks I use an old book like Nathan  ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »

Don't know
Don't know
Don't know
Don't know
Don't know

Don't care  :D

If anyone asks I use an old book like Nathan  ;)

Lol it’s up to you to know these answers if they investigate data protection they won’t be happy with those answers , you using cloud storage or cleaner planner or what ever you are responsible to find out or you are liable , however who will investigate this is  another matter entirely but you do need to be aware of the changes and attempt to comply 😂😂😂😂😂

Frankybadboy

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 07:24:35 pm »
been losing money for the last 3years

do i care no  ;) ;)

Don Kee

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 07:57:30 pm »

Exactly!

I use my own propitiatory database system stored on my local computers hard drive which is backed onto two separate hard drives also.

So you’ve made an Excel spreadsheet?  ;D

Marc Stock

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:29 pm »

Exactly!

So you’ve made an Excel spreadsheet?  ;D

No quite.

I have an ACT! Database CRM system, that i have customized to run the sales & scheduling.
I wrote a macro in visual basic to pull the data file from ACT! and dump it into a text file
Then in excel, i wrote a database query to mine the data from ACT!
Then I wrote another visual basic script to look up the customer ref number, pull out the job information, next clean date, amount due, etc etc.
And i wrote a vb script to count the job number so i can print the window cleaning bill to file.

So yeah...a bit of this and that.

Richard Stevenson

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2018, 09:13:28 am »
I think this is all relative to where you live, 56k in Scotland is bloody good but in central London just ok. Although we should all have target's.