paul alan

which ladder for this?
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:13 pm »
I have a good job coming up that I need a ladder for a flat roof.

The flat roof is 14ft in height, so I'm guessing i will need an 18ft ladder minimum?

Here's the tricky bit, I only have 8ft in the back of the van, I don't have a roof rack nor do I want one.
I am a ladder less window cleaner with the exception of this 1 job (well worth it) and don't want anyone to see ladders on the roof and start expecting/asking me to do this/that.

It's 1 flat roof with a fall/arrest system in place which is probably unnecessary but its there, the ladder will be footed and placed in a way that it cant go the left/right so I'm happy it's a safe bet.

I am looking at the triple section ladders but the 2.4m(8ft) closed height ones might not be long enough when extended to safely manoeuvre from ladder to roof, I mean having enough ladder above roof height to hold on to when transitioning.

There are some 2.7m closed height ones which may fit in the van from corner to corner, but may not. corner to corner is 2.7m but if its triple section it may be too bulky and I don't want to order only to find it doesn't fit.

there are some 17ft ones that when closed will be 8ft, would this be enough for a 14ft roof?

Any ideas?  I need to go up 14ft in a straight line so i guess around 18ft ladder??? and fit in the back of the van. On top not optional.

Cheers.

Don Kee

Re: which ladder for this?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:20:12 pm »
If the jobs that good then get yourself a roof rack and stick some decent ladders on the roof.
Take the first time you clean it on the chin, i.e use it to pay for the roof rack/bars and ladders and then subsequent cleans you’re laughing.
Take them off when you’re not on the job...

‘Midlands ladders’ is a decent website, pretty sure they stick feet on the ladders for free as well.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:18:34 pm »
How often will you do the job? How much is it worth? 

Hire a ladder if it's a one off?
It's a game of three halves!

Og

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:58:29 am »
Roof rack amigo. Then get the longest ladders you can. Safer that way.

Plankton

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:14:11 pm »
How often will you do the job? How much is it worth? 

Hire a ladder if it's a one off?
Pain in the arse hiring ladders. Turn up and they don't have the one you booked and end up with a piece of crap that's fit for the bin.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 12:49:02 pm »
If the job is worth that much to you then do it right and invest in the tool for the job. I'm not really understanding your aversion to using a roof rack unless you have nowhere else to keep the ladder when not using it ? even so, you are your own boss, surely you can just say no to any other inquiries regarding using a ladder unless financially worth your time.

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 12:53:00 pm »

The flat roof is 14ft in height, so I'm guessing i will need an 18ft ladder minimum?

Here's the tricky bit, I only have 8ft in the back of the van, I don't have a roof rack nor do I want one.
I am a ladder less window cleaner with the exception of this 1 job (well worth it) and don't want anyone to see ladders on the roof and start expecting/asking me to do this/that.

It's 1 flat roof with a fall/arrest system in place which is probably unnecessary but its there, the ladder will be footed and placed in a way that it cant go the left/right so I'm happy it's a safe bet.

I am looking at the triple section ladders but the 2.4m(8ft) closed height ones might not be long enough when extended to safely manoeuvre from ladder to roof, I mean having enough ladder above roof height to hold on to when transitioning.

There are some 2.7m closed height ones which may fit in the van from corner to corner, but may not. corner to corner is 2.7m but if its triple section it may be too bulky and I don't want to order only to find it doesn't fit.

there are some 17ft ones that when closed will be 8ft, would this be enough for a 14ft roof?

Any ideas?  I need to go up 14ft in a straight line so i guess around 18ft ladder??? and fit in the back of the van. On top not optional.

Cheers.

why dont you have a roof rack and some decent trade 3.5 metre 2 section ladders?i always find mine handy.i dont use them every day but they are needed at least 2 or 3 times a week.usually to get over a locked gate(or unbolt it)and the odd flat roof/balcony.

also sometimes you need to be  up close to the glass to scrape paint off or silicone for example.

IMO they are an essential tool in a window cleaners arsenal along with WFP/trad gear etc...
price higher/work harder!

windowswashed

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 03:16:06 pm »
Can't you leave an old ladder at the property

Steve Newres

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 01:36:18 am »

Cheers.

why dont you have a roof rack and some decent trade 3.5 metre 2 section ladders?i always find mine handy.i dont use them every day but they are needed at least 2 or 3 times a week.usually to get over a locked gate(or unbolt it)and the odd flat roof/balcony.

also sometimes you need to be  up close to the glass to scrape paint off or silicone for example.

IMO they are an essential tool in a window cleaners arsenal along with WFP/trad gear etc...
What a pain getting ladders off a roof rack. I wouldn’t be without a Little Giant ladder IN the van for gates, flat roofs etc.  Mine’s actually a Screwfix knock off but so much easier to access quickly.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/little-giant-revolution-xe-multipurpose-ladder-2-section-4-rungs-4-17m/8308G?kpid=8308G&ds_kid=92700021630489911&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2NXTBRDoARIsAJRIvLzJa-_tNztsjawC2TJOI6-LJg2qtC-MAT0OaF4kTwfw_nTuCGDVVKAaAvkVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJPp-_qOi9kCFUsSGwodcPwLRA

Incidentally, wouldn’t one of these be tall enough for the flat roof?

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:46 am »
Ladders are only a pain to take off if you have a large high roof van and your a short arse... ;D

price higher/work harder!

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:45:57 pm »

Cheers.

What a pain getting ladders off a roof rack. I wouldn’t be without a Little Giant ladder IN the van for gates, flat roofs etc.  Mine’s actually a Screwfix knock off but so much easier to access quickly.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/little-giant-revolution-xe-multipurpose-ladder-2-section-4-rungs-4-17m/8308G?kpid=8308G&ds_kid=92700021630489911&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2NXTBRDoARIsAJRIvLzJa-_tNztsjawC2TJOI6-LJg2qtC-MAT0OaF4kTwfw_nTuCGDVVKAaAvkVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJPp-_qOi9kCFUsSGwodcPwLRA

perfect!

got one on order, cheers mate.

Steve Newres

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:12:50 pm »
Ladders are only a pain to take off if you have a large high roof van and your a short arse... ;D
True. I use those spin roof rack things to secure a ladder and that takes time. If the ladder has to come off the roof the price shoots up.

Bungle

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 09:15:31 pm »

I think that was directed at pervey Wolfgang  ;D
We look at them, they look through them.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 10:53:22 am »

Cheers.

perfect!

I would have suggested something like that if it were not for the height you quoted - 14 ft straight vertical ( 18 to be safe ) imo you are going to be stretching it with this ladder and all for the sake of not having roof bars.

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 04:19:04 pm »

Cheers.

perfect!

I would have suggested something like that if it were not for the height you quoted - 14 ft straight vertical ( 18 to be safe ) imo you are going to be stretching it with this ladder and all for the sake of not having roof bars.

didn't get that exact one, got this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Werner-5-79M-Telescopic-Combi-Ladder-Mt22-4-X-5/152746822998?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:28:56 pm »
Ahh I see ( I take things quite literally sometimes ) perfect solution !